Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Leveling jacks

My front leveling jacks don't go down at the same rate. I think I may need more fluid but I don't know where the reservoir is located. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are they HWH or Powergear?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

The jacks are Level Best 3000 made by Kwikee Products Co.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #4

My reservoir is in front of the left front slideout. i can see it through the gap between the slideout and the body. But to check the fluid I have to park on level ground and then put the slide out (but the jacks must be up). Then I can crawl under the slide and sit up to check the fluid. Our sightseers are different models, but I would bet that your reservoir is in the same place as mine. If you need to add fluid, make sure you use the right stuff -- check your owner's manual.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Leveling Jacks

FYI

Kwikee and Power Gear are the same. Just found out myself and after all the problems I had with my Levelers. When I called before they answered the phone as Powerr Gear. Now it's Kwikee Power Gear.

John
Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #6

When you say that the leveling jack are not going down at the same rate,is it during travel of jacks prior to making contact with the ground.
If that is the case,the jacks have differant internal drag (Friction) until they start building up pressure at time of contact with the ground,then they should travel at same rate ( at least in those systems that have the two front jacks tied together hydrauically).
heavyequipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

On our coach with the Kwikee 2000 levelers has a reservoir mounted vertically located between the front grill and the firewall on the passenger side.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #8

In process of purchasing a 24' Class C MH. Are leveling jacks worth the expense ?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #9

tom,
we don't have jacks on ours and don't see where you need them.i think the money well spent would be to put the air ride chassis on it.kermit is supppose to call me back about maybe putting it on our 2551.
lg
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #10

Leveling jacks are definately worth the money. We rented several coaches before we made a purchase. One of the things that was a "must have" was leveling jacks.

It gets awfully old trying to guess how many boards you need under each wheel to get a coach level, especially when you're on a 2-3 week trip moving every day. Also it's almost impossible to have the right combination to get it perfectly level. Add to that you take up valuable storage space with blocks of wood and it's well worth the money.

Add to the advantages not having to chase everything down the hall or across the room that rolls off the table. Not having to sleep in a bed standing on your head, or automatically being ejected out one side, not having drawers open automatically just when you pass by, and the fact that you don't have to worry about the fridge self emptying every time you open the door. Plus it's a lot easier on the fridge to operate when it's level.

Just an opinion.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #11

Hikerdogs,
we don't carry anything to level with we just park where it is level.makes things a lot easyier all the way around. our 2551 does not rock any without jack so thats why i said we did not need them.i can see the bigger class c might need them.if you put air ride on it you can level from frt to back with the air bags but not side to side.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #12

The front driver side jack makes contact with the ground when the passenger side is about 2" off the ground. I made a "shim" out of some 2x4s and plywood so both front jacks would contact at the same time. If I don't shim the passenger side, the coach sits 2"s higher on the driver side. The 2" difference remains constant.

Even with the problems, I would get jacks on any coach if they are available. They level the coach is less than a minute and help stabilize the "rocking" as you walk around inside while parked.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedLancer View Post
The front driver side jack makes contact with the ground when the passenger side is about 2" off the ground. I made a "shim" out of some 2x4s and plywood so both front jacks would contact at the same time. If I don't shim the passenger side, the coach sits 2"s higher on the driver side. The 2" difference remains constant.

Even with the problems, I would get jacks on any coach if they are available. They level the coach is less than a minute and help stabilize the "rocking" as you walk around inside while parked.
Interesting, when pushing the both front down button, our passenger side makes contact first, I just push the Left down button until the driver side makes contact then push the Both front down button again until it levels.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftrooppilot View Post
In process of purchasing a 24' Class C MH. Are leveling jacks worth the expense ?
Unless you are on an E450 chassis, the jacks will probably send you overweight. I had a 24' Minnie (loved it) but it was on an E350 and jacks would send it over the top weight wise. Jacks would have been really nice. Especially the new uber-compact models. Pull into camp site and get'er'level with a button. No fidgeting with boards/ramps/etc.