Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHogan View Post
Well the install of the LiquidSpring system went reasonably smoothly . . .

Was it worth it?

In my opinion an emphatic YES.
Glad to hear about this positive experience, Joe. And your wife's reaction echoes that of my wife, whose thoughts are now at the bottom of the Comments section of my original LiquidSpring review (https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...rt-3-road-test).

Mike, you've been expressing these same concerns (regarding LiquidSpring's business model for motorhome applications) for nearly a year. During that time, LiquidSpring has not just focused on aftermarket installations, but has been actively working on solutions that involve the OEMs (the chassis manufacturer as well as the RV manufacturers); their goal is to make this a factory-installed option that can be selected at the time of purchase. And LiquidSpring is also currently refining a motorhome front suspension solution that integrates with the same module that controls their rear suspension; this is already operational for their ambulance platform. So all signs point to continued investment of their active suspension technology for the motorhome market, and I think we'll be hearing much more about these developments very soon.
wgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill, I hope I've been clear that I'm not bashing the technical solution they've been offering. I just didn't think it was reasonable for them to expect they could make a business of it at the price point they are at. I sincerely hope they can become an OEM option, whether in connection with Ford or one or more of the RV manufacturers. It's the only way they can successfully penetrate the RV space, and give the consumer an affordable suspension alternative. There's been some industry speculation about Ford developing the next generation RV chassis with new motor/transmission (Availability TBD). Would be nice if LiquidSprings could be a player there and possibly give Ford a way to increase GVWR in the process in addition to improving ride characteristics. And if they do, I hope the timing is such that I'm not too old to possibly drive one. Cheers.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Bill, I hope I've been clear that I'm not bashing the technical solution they've been offering. I just didn't think it was reasonable for them to expect they could make a business of it at the price point they are at. I sincerely hope they can become an OEM option, whether in connection with Ford or one or more of the RV manufacturers. It's the only way they can successfully penetrate the RV space, and give the consumer an affordable suspension alternative. There's been some industry speculation about Ford developing the next generation RV chassis with new motor/transmission (Availability TBD). Would be nice if LiquidSprings could be a player there and possibly give Ford a way to increase GVWR in the process in addition to improving ride characteristics. And if they do, I hope the timing is such that I'm not too old to possibly drive one. Cheers.
You've been clear and reasoned about all of that, Mike, and I am also hoping that an OEM option will also translate to a reduced purchase price. Labor is nearly half the cost of this system: removal of the existing suspension components is a waste of time/money, and installing the LiquidSpring components would be easier without the coach blocking access to the top of the chassis.
wgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
LiquidSpring CLASS Install Video

If anyone following this thread is interested in a video of The Canyon Star Liquid Spring CLASS Suspension install here is a video.

https://youtu.be/lm1o83qVSS8
travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe,

Do you have any updates on how well the Liquid Spring suspension has worked on your latest trip. I'm considering putting it on my 2013 Newmar Bay Star.

Thanks,

Jerry

[QUOTE=JoeHogan;4378513]Well the install of the LiquidSpring system went reasonably smoothly. Josam Truck Alignment in Orlando did the installation with the help of a Factory Rep. They took about a week to get all the items completed. All in all a very professional installation.
This suspension is a true 5 link suspension. The drive axle is very well controlled.

Was it worth it?

In my opinion an emphatic YES.

The RV has been transformed from driving like a drunken sailor, crashing over bumps, weaving and bobbing around into a relatively sedate cruiser on the highway. Cornering no longer feels precarious, with a lean, bump steer pushing you around and multiple steer inputs to negotiate the 270 degree ramps here in the South.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our maiden trip of 300 miles went very well. The Canyon Star cruises quietly without all that vibration and rattling. The handling is much improved. The sway has been reduced very considerably. The trucks barely push the Unit even when towing.
If I apply a slight amount of throttle before the bow wake hits the tow. you don’t even notice the bow wake as the truck passes. Typically I drive 55 to 60 so a slight acceleration is meaningless to a truck passing at 70+.
Currently we are out on a major, for us, 3000 mile trip to the NE. This is the REAL test.. Once we get on the chopped up interstate in NY and PA I’ll report back.
We are still very pleased with the LiquidSpring suspension.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We uses one of the features of the Liquidspring suspension today. Last night when we pulled into our pull through, because we tow a full size sedan using a dolly, our rig completely filled the pull through. Literally curb to curb.
As a result when the jacks were deployed the front tires where elevated 10” to a foot into the air. This happened using the Automatic leveling setting. Personally I prefer to have the tires in contact with the ground. This morning I activated the Liquidspring suspension and lowered the rear suspension to the lowest setting. There are 5 settings ranging from high to ride height to low.
The jacks were redeployed and the steer tires remain on the ground and the last step of the stairs is much shorter. A big win for the Liquidspring suspension!!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
3000 mile trip with Liquid Spring suspension

Just finished a ~3000 trip with the Canyon Star. Starting in FL we traveled to KY for a week then on to VA through West Virginia on I 64. I 64 is a challenge in areas with one 7% grade for 7 or so miles. The suspension handled the twists, turns and grades extremely well. The road surface was reasonably smooth.
From VA we drove up I 81 to I 84 then on to I 87 north. The I 81 and I 84 got progressively worse as we approached NY. Lots of rough sections and pitching road surface. Again the rear suspension kept the rolling motion in check, reducing the pot holes and vibration to a tolerable level.
The real challenge was off I 87, exit 20 NB to Fort Ann on NY route 149 into VT. This section of road is narrow, winding, hilly, and has off camber curves as well as undulating pavement.
Last year I could barely navigate this road between 35- 45 MPH. Honestly last year this section of road had me questioning the Canyon Star road safety. Nobody was happy, not even the cat.
This year we were comfortable cruising along at 5 - 10 below the 55 speed limit. Granted I believe I could have driven at the speed limit this year but just am not in that much of a hurry.
The Canyon Star handled the road very comfortably without issue. Everyone was comfortable.
On our return trip from VT we took the Charlotte - Essex NY ferry over to NYS then over to RT 9N to Lake Placid. Another twisty, hilly road. Again, no issue at slightly below the speed limit.
Typically I drive 5 to 10 mph below the limit on county or state roads and 10-15 below on the interstate. We are right at Max GCWR of 30k with the dolly and towd and maintain between 7-8 MPG.
The trip was an overall success and has restored my faith in the abilities of the Canyon Star. We remain very pleased with the LiquidSpring suspension on The Canyon Star.
We will round out the year with a trip to the Keys in Dec. We'll see what next year brings but we have already penciled in a trip to Nappanee and to the NM balloon fest in Oct.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
Came across a blog where a Tiffin gas MH owner had LiquidSpring installed on his F53 chassis.

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...hy-and-why-not

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...transformation

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...rt-3-road-test

The owner is very pleased with results.

$12000 for suspension improvements on a gas motorhome you better be very pleased
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #52

I looked into the Liquid Spring a few years ago when they had a coach and a booth set up at one of the Fleetwood rallies. When we had our Bounder gas coach the majority of the road impacts we felt came from the front suspension. I'm sure the Liquid Spring works wonders on the rear suspension but spending that kind of money and still having a solid axle leaf spring front suspension just seems to only having the job half done. The folks I talked to a Liquid Spring told me they were working on a front suspension solution. I'm glad that the owners that have upgraded their coaches are happy with the improvement, I hope that in the future the front half of the coach can get the same assistance.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Just put LiquidSprings on my 2013 Newmar Bay Star

I have been following the LiquidSprings story for over a year. I decided to do it last October. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I did make one mistake. When the suspension was installed, I had them put the rear CHF back to the Ford Factory setting. This resulted in 18 wheelers and high crosswinds pushing me around too much. Once I returned to Dallas, I had the rear CHF re-installed. Now this was back to normal.

The main benefit is a much smoother ride and much less noise.

Another benefit is that side to side rocking is reduced or eliminated. It also feels much more stable and controlled in turns.

In the last 2 years I almost upgraded to a diesel pusher twice in order to get a better ride. I backed out both times. Possible reasons: Upgrade price, diesel RV complexity and maintenance costs, older RV in order to afford the change, also much longer than my 31ft gas RV. I liked my Bay Star, just not the rough ride. Now the rough ride is much better and it cost me less than the depreciation hit I would have taken to change RVs.

The change was worth it to me.
( your mileage may vary )

Regards,

Jerry
Old 11-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #54

I agree with you Jerry, on all those plus’s. Absolutely the best possible up grade versus trading to DP. We made the change in August last year and took a 3000+ mile trip. I’m definitely satisfied. We have a 32ft Jayco. The J-Ride is advertising hype. We had to do something and Liquid Spring was the right answer for us. Our cost was $9000 at the Lafayette Indiana factory.
I have a RoadMaster rear sway bar and a Brazel rear track bar if anyone wants them. These were my first modifications to improve the ride but weren’t enough for us. But I hated to just see them trashed as they were only 6 months old.
RonDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDent View Post
I agree with you Jerry, on all those plus’s. Absolutely the best possible up grade versus trading to DP. We made the change in August last year and took a 3000+ mile trip. I’m definitely satisfied. We have a 32ft Jayco. The J-Ride is advertising hype. We had to do something and Liquid Spring was the right answer for us. Our cost was $9000 at the Lafayette Indiana factory.
I have a RoadMaster rear sway bar and a Brazel rear track bar if anyone wants them. These were my first modifications to improve the ride but weren’t enough for us. But I hated to just see them trashed as they were only 6 months old.
Would they fit a 1999 F53 Dutchstar?
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #56
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDent View Post
Why did the sway and track bars have to be removed?

I'm going to open a Go Fund Me account for my Liquid Springs. Any donations are welcome.

Tags
install