Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

LiquidSpring install Oct 2017

Came across a blog where a Tiffin gas MH owner had LiquidSpring installed on his F53 chassis.

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...hy-and-why-not

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...transformation

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017...rt-3-road-test

The owner is very pleased with results.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Either Motorhome or FMCA magazine had a story on it too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just can't see my way to paying $12,000 to install this. I don't doubt the benefit for those who don't like the ride on the F53 chassis, but I'm one of those people that's satisfied with how mine drives today. Even if I were really not happy, $12K is a chunk of change to spend. I don't know how the manufacturer can make a long term business of this without getting MH manufacturers to make this an OEM option at a significantly lower price point. We'll see, I guess.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

12,000 and your coach, you have a down payment for a new one with it installed!
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I just can't see my way to paying $12,000 to install this. I don't doubt the benefit for those who don't like the ride on the F53 chassis, but I'm one of those people that's satisfied with how mine drives today. Even if I were really not happy, $12K is a chunk of change to spend. I don't know how the manufacturer can make a long term business of this without getting MH manufacturers to make this an OEM option at a significantly lower price point. We'll see, I guess.
It's not for everybody, just like some people do not see the need for CHF, KONI's, or rear track bars. I would rather have a late model high quality gas MH on F53 chassis from Tiffin or Newmar with LiquidSpring suspension installed than spend the same amount of money on a 10 yr old DP.

Reading the article revels LiquidSpring is expanding, they have plenty of business. I'm looking forward to how the soon to be released LiquidSpring front will work.

This has the appearance of a quality product by a manufacture who wants to turn out the best possible product.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Either Motorhome or FMCA magazine had a story on it too.
DW & I receive FMCA mag, I'll take a look at the past couple of issues to see if it's in one of them. Curious how the author rated it.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not arguing that. It will be interesting to see if they end up driving the market because their solution is so right. I was just stating that when you slice the total RV market down to the potential late model Ford F53 chassis aftermarket with an extra 12k to spend, it can't be very large. Add to that the fact that one size does not fit all on the various F53 weight ratings, the cost pressure has to increase somewhat. So hopefully their existing business can fund the entry costs to the new Class A market. Will certainly be easier if they get an OEM adoption.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Not arguing that. It will be interesting to see if they end up driving the market because their solution is so right. I was just stating that when you slice the total RV market down to the potential late model Ford F53 chassis aftermarket with an extra 12k to spend, it can't be very large. Add to that the fact that one size does not fit all on the various F53 weight ratings, the cost pressure has to increase somewhat. So hopefully their existing business can fund the entry costs to the new Class A market. Will certainly be easier if they get an OEM adoption.
Now I understand what you're saying. I really hope this could be an option on new Tiffin's in the future.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One other thought comes to mind as well. I wonder how much OEMs will want ride quality on cheaper gas chassis motorhomes to be approaching what is available now on cash cow air ride diesel pushers? In what is essentially a zero-sum market between gas and diesel, they'd potentially be cannibalizing some of their highest profit sales to lower priced models I think. In any event, I’ll be interested to watch this. I hope the product benefits overwhelm the market challenges.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

Found this article dated June 2017: Motorhome Suspension Transformation | Motorhome Magazine
Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #11

Other Options...

Maybe what will happen is that they can find another option for the same type of suspension. What I'm trying to say, rather than the full-blown rip out the entire stock rear suspension and install a totally new suspension, maybe they'll be able to find some way to use the current points where the rear spring shackles connect to the frame, and then use the liquid chambers mounted to a cantilever in place of reverse-arched leaf springs. If that cuts the cost in half, then you've got a game changer.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #12

Hi — I’m the author of the blog posts on installing the LiquidSpring system on my 2017 32SA. I see that a lot of the discussion in this thread revolves around the price of the installation, and I thought I’d add a couple of comments:

First, LiquidSpring is definitely interested in having this as an option on Class A gas motorhomes, but they have to work with the motorhome design teams first. Whoever gets to that chassis first will introduce elements that get in the way of the rest of the build. Right now, the LiquidSpring installers have to work around Tiffin’s placement of storage bays, electrical lines, water lines, etc. If they were to install their suspension system on the bare chassis first, Tiffin would have to make sure that their assembly plans do not interfere with the LiquidSpring components. Of course, this can all be done, but Tiffin has to be motivated to work with LiquidSpring . . . and it’s an expensive option that might not get selected very often.

Second, I think it’s normal to pause at the idea of spending another $12,000, but you have to frame this expense in context. The retail price of a similarly outfitted diesel chassis motorhome (for example, a comparably sized Tiffin Allegro RED, which has the same finishes and features) is about $100,000 more than an Allegro with a gas chassis. You may not want to spend $12k more to have the LiquidSpring suspension, but perhaps there are prospective RED buyers who aren’t really needing the maintenance hassles/costs of a diesel engine . . . they might be very happy with an Allegro gasser if it only had a smoother ride. This could be their ticket.

— Bill
wgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, that's a lot of installation incompatibilities I hadn't even considered. Sounds like the road to bare chassis installation includes MH manufacturers having two separate storage configurations for those with or without. One thing I haven't heard is if there is any impact (+/-) to weight carrying capability. Does this system have potential to add capability? Even 500 - 1000 lbs. would be huge.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of installation incompatibilities I hadn't even considered. Sounds like the road to bare chassis installation includes MH manufacturers having two separate storage configurations for those with or without. One thing I haven't heard is if there is any impact (+/-) to weight carrying capability. Does this system have potential to add capability? Even 500 - 1000 lbs. would be huge.
The LiquidSpring crew weighed my coach before and after the installation: the weight on the rear axle increased by 270 pounds, and the weight on the front axle increased by 80 pounds.
wgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install