RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Location of OBD plug-in on 1999 V10 Ford on Holiday Rambler Vacationer

I am having trouble locating the port for the OBD to check for cause of "Service Engine Soon" light. Does the 1998 Ford Chassis have this receptacle? I would assume so since the light needs to be addressed. This is a 1998 Ford Chassis on a 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer, 34.5 feet. I cannot locate it on the steering column nor in the vicinity, including under the doghouse cover. Any suggestions or photos that would help me? I appreciate your interest.

Jim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Jim,
May not help but my 2000 dutch star plug is somewhat above the steering column right next to the instrument panel, not directly attached to the column. It was very hard to find but I installed a Scan Guage II and have that to give me code readouts when necessary as well as all the other things the Scan Guage does.
Any how, try a mirror and a light to look above the column. By the way the outlet on mine had a black plug like cover on it.
John

suppok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
What engine does it have? If a 460 it is OBD I and if it is a 6.8 V10 it is OBD II and just to the right of the steering wheel.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

Thanks to all that replied. I finally located the receptacle on the right side of the steering column in probably the only 3 cubic inch of space that was hard to see up into (I am 68 and not too limber). I appreciate all of the replies.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Jim,
Now that you found the plug in, let me know where you mount it so it will be easy to get to next time.
I've got a 99 HR V as well & just have the plug stuck in a crack beside the steering cover, which is ok till the first big bump & then its hanging down, but would like to mount it somewhere easy to get to.

You had your 99 very long, maybe we could pm each other with the problems we have had or maybe will have to catch them before they pop up.
Of all the things on the HR Vacationer, if you've not done it yet, check that Norcold 841 fridge on the back side, check those tubes out good & if you see anything that looks yellow, pull that fridge out & replace the cooling unit.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I will keep you in mind on future 1999 HR Vac. issues. The receptacle is attached with one screw to the right of the steering column but it is difficult to see what they attached it to. If it were me and the plug falls down, I would zip-tie it somewhere that it would be easy to get to and if needed, you would have the slack to pull it toward you by cutting the zip-tie if needed.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

[QUOTE=C-Leigh Racing;1125658 Of all the things on the HR Vacationer, if you've not done it yet, check that Norcold 841 fridge on the back side, check those tubes out good & if you see anything that looks yellow, pull that fridge out & replace the cooling unit.
Neil[/QUOTE]

Neil, we also have a '99 HR V and we recently replaced our Norcold with a residential refrigerator. Summit ff1112 is a near perfect replacement fit for the Norcold. More refrigerator/freezer space, colder, and we no longer worry about the fire hazard aspect of rv refrigerators.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
Neil, we also have a '99 HR V and we recently replaced our Norcold with a residential refrigerator. Summit ff1112 is a near perfect replacement fit for the Norcold. More refrigerator/freezer space, colder, and we no longer worry about the fire hazard aspect of rv refrigerators.
Hey, now that sounds good about the fridge. Can I get some more details on it.
We normally travel with the gen running anyways, so the house fridge wouldnt be a problem.
Thanks, Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just went through the OBD-II hunt on my 99 33 footer. (V10 gas).
Once I pulled the cover off the console (4 screws + 3 plugs) - found it.
Eventually I chose to leave my scanner cord connected while road testing...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I just went through the OBD-II hunt on my 99 33 footer. (V10 gas).
Once I pulled the cover off the console (4 screws + 3 plugs) - found it.
Eventually I chose to leave my scanner cord connected while road testing...
If it is like ours, the ABS light will come on ever so often & then check engine & the code will be speed censor.
Dont know what I did, but when I was in the process of building & mounting the rear track bar, must have did something to that censor & the code dont come up anymore.
I never unplugged it from the rear end housing, but I wiggled those wires quite a bit when doing all the trac bar work, so maybe it just needed wiggling a little bit.
The ABS light will come on if I idle the engine a bunch, which I normally will do before even moving the rig & then sometime when we hit a real hard bump in the road, which will be the first bridge we get to.
God help Iowa & Ark highways, I bet auto repair insurance is a good selling item out there.
Neil
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The diff abs sensor commonly fails and can cause codes like what you're seeing. It's a fairly easy replacement (assuming it doesn't break).

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10