Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #29

You F53 owners, that say your trans temp never gets over 180~190, is that a normal trans temp for the V10 & 4R100 & where is the trans pick up coming from, code reader, aux temp gauge ?.

I installed a trans temp gauge on ours & the sending unit is mounted in the test port on the shift linkage side of the trans body. I also installed an extra cooler unit up front, 10X12 & then a inline NAPA filter to clean the fluid before it returns to the pan.
Reason I'm asking, my trans temps stay around 150*~152* normally & only a few times have I seen it get up to 160* on a good size hill.

No idea what the trans temps were before the extra cooler & temp gauge.
Neil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Neil, my temp comes from my ScanGauge via the ECM. I have no idea where the ECM gets it, but I don't care either If Ford puts it there, thats good enough for me.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #31

The TFT sensor (trans fluid temp) is mounted in the solenoid body. This is likely why your temps are slightly cooler. In the pressure port that you mentioned usually is cooler because it is out of the direct flow path. I have noticed this also in the past. My temps are in the 160f range according to the scan gauge. If you have access to a scan tool that can monitor TFT, im betting you will see higher temps. This transmission has a thermostatic expansion valve that controls trans temps. So no matter how many coolers you have, the temps should be in that range. The torqshift 5 transmission has a normal range of 150-170F. The 6R80 in the F150 is 190-220F range. Just for comparison to other transmissions.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Well, we went and drove an FR3 and a Tiffen that was the same length/chassis as the Thor we've been looking at.

I liked the FR3, but I liked the Tiffen much more, so now the hard part will be getting the wifes buy in.

So, a couple of things I was less than impressed with:
1. Steering felt like it wandered
2. Apparently the 5R110 hardly uses 4th gear? It went 5-3, 3-5 multiple times at 65mph on cruise, on mild inclines.

The Tiffen rode better and handled better, and it should for 3x the price. But, comparatively, I know more that the Thor would be like the Tiffen (similar motor, same trans, same chassis etc).
We have a 2013 Allegro Open Road 32CA. Not sure if that's the Tiffin model you drove. Same observations.
As far as the steering wandering, first trip out of the box, I was feeling very, very behind in keeping up with the required steering inputs to address the "wandering". Added a Saf-T Plus steering control/stabilizer, did the CHF, and added a rear trac bar from Steer Safe. What a difference! Just got back from a 600 mile weekend, and even with some gnarly cross winds and tight roads, it was one handed, relaxed steering all the way. All up, about $1200.00 MIght want to think about negotiating it into the "package" if you are buying new...at least the parts at dealer cost and free installation (not that install was that difficult, but in my opinion, the Motorhome Mfgrs should be adding these things as standard equipment).

The 5-Star tune does an excellent job of bringing 4th gear into play as well.

Tags
f53