RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

Looking for part: EGR Tube for 1997 E-350

Hey gang,
I'm in the hunt for a part that apparently Ford doesn't manufacture anymore.
It's an EGR Tube for a 1997 E-350,6.8L V-10.

Specifically it's part No. F7UZ9D477EE

A couple parts places I've checked have said it's out of stock / don't carry it / can't order it.

Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you checked e-bay? Whats wrong with the old one?

When I put my 1999 V10 back together last summer after fixing broken exhaust studs, I deleted the EGR tube..

The headers I installed don't have a fitting, so I put a cover plate over the EGR valve / manifold, and re-plumbed the DPFE sensor to make the ECM happy. I'm not 100% sure the re-plumbing of the sensor will work. I didn't throw any codes after several test drives, but I'll find out next week when we start heading south for the winter.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks, it hasn't turned up on Ebay yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Not sure what's wrong with it, except to say that because it's not functioning properly the vehicle won't pass emissions testing. Otherwise, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Have you checked e-bay? Whats wrong with the old one?

When I put my 1999 V10 back together last summer after fixing broken exhaust studs, I deleted the EGR tube..

The headers I installed don't have a fitting, so I put a cover plate over the EGR valve / manifold, and re-plumbed the DPFE sensor to make the ECM happy. I'm not 100% sure the re-plumbing of the sensor will work. I didn't throw any codes after several test drives, but I'll find out next week when we start heading south for the winter.

F53 Repairing broken exhaust manifold studs 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
I deleted the EGR tube..

The headers I installed don't have a fitting, so I put a cover plate over the EGR valve / manifold, and re-plumbed the DPFE sensor to make the ECM happy.
If the PCM really is happy, then because it thinks EGR is happening, it will advance the ignition timing to compensate for the reduced combustion speed that goes with EGR. And then you might not be happy, or your pistons.

Besides, EGR is an economy device, it reduces part throttle pumping losses. Why wouldn't you want this working?
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If the PCM really is happy, then because it thinks EGR is happening, it will advance the ignition timing to compensate for the reduced combustion speed that goes with EGR. And then you might not be happy, or your pistons.
yes. I followed this conversation on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums before making the decision to delete the EGR .

There was discussion that deleting it without the corresponding change in the PCM code could result in a reduction in mileage. There never seemed to be a verification that the reduction took place, or what the magnitude would be. I guess I'll find out in about two weeks.

This may be the item that pushes me to buy a 5Star tune. :-)

Is the PCM setting any codes??? what specifically has you looking for a tube??

Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could it be that you could weld/bend something that is close?
Maybe this on ebay? Just thinking out loud.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F7UZ-9D477-FE/332915844266?hash=item4d8354a4aa:g:c-8AAOSwKphcAfgN:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=true

Richard
3 Years Wheel & Track Mechanic US Army. 11 Years Automotive Mechanic. 12 Years Operating Engineer Interstate Brands. 3 Years Job Shop Machinist. 11 Years Chief Engineer INX International. 10 Years RV Mobil Repair Owner operator.
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Couldn't one use the two fittings on each end and have a shop attach a flex metal hose??? I guess it has to allow hot gases to pass through so it needs to be closed or air tight. I still think I'd make or modify something to make it fit.

You could cut short pieces of pipe which would fit inside one another and form the curves then silver solder it together to make it air tight.

Just throwing out ideas.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I took the manifolds off of my V10 to do the exhaust studs, I couldn't get the EGR tube off of the exhaust manifold so I cut it in a section where the tube was straight. My intentions was that if I re-used the manifolds and wanted to hook the EGR back up, I would either use a brass style compression coupler to re-join the two halves together, or weld the halves back together.

After looking into headers and possible re-connecting EGR, I decided to install the headers and delete the EGR. As mentioned by mpaton, deleting and spoofing the PCM may have consequences, still not 100% sure exactly what these are. The general consensus from V10 owners who done this on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums is that it doesn't seem to effect performance or mpg. I'll find out in a couple weeks..

If it does have a noticible effect, I have two alternatives:

1) Undo the EGR system spoof and let it fail. When it fails the SES light will come on and the PCM will never go into EGR mode.

2) Get a tune that disables the EGR test. The PCM will never go into EGR mode.

None if this helps Mike if he's trying to get a smog. But a lot depends on what exactly Mikes problem is with this existing EGR tube and/or how the state performs the smog.

In AZ, they hook up the code scanner to the ODBII connector and read out what the PCM says. If the PCM reports that all tests have been performed satisfactorily then it passes smog. They don't even hook up the tailpipe sniffer any more.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

Yeah, so a point of clarification on my needs - the singular goal in my case is to be able to clear emissions testing in the state of Tennessee. And I'm told that the EGR tube has to be in place and working for that to happen.

Thanks much.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
And I'm told that the EGR tube has to be in place and working for that to happen.
Are you missing the tube or is it broke?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #11

It's not just a simple tube. It's a tube with a specifically sized orifice in the middle, with small tubes on either side of the orifice to measure the delta pressure across the orifice.

I take it your original one is bad/missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0503152035a_e22b0f4bcb1275dc666d7407ee39b41248459085[1].jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	228312  

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

The shop that services the rig is saying the tube is clogging up and they do not want to clean it out for fear of breaking it and not being able to replace it. Because now Tennessee required emissions testing on this weight rating of vehicle (where they didn't previously), it won't pass emissions.

So, any suggestions on cleaning it or fabricating a replacement?

-M
Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it setting a code??? i.e. P1401. This would be the only way a smog inspection would be able to determine if its not functioning..

If you're getting a 1401, that means the sensor isn't detecting a pressure differential across the oriface. This could be caused by an EGR valve thats failing to open, a bad DPFE sensor, or a clogged EGR tube oiriface.

If its clogging, the only thing to clog would be the oriface opening between the two small tubes. You probably won't be able to remove the EGR tube from the manifold without destroying it, but you should be able to remove it from the EGR valve.

Remove the tube from the EGR valve. Plug the end of the tube with your finger and see if you can blow through the small tube thats closest to the EGR valve. If the oriface is plugged, you won't be able to blow through it.. If its plugged, maybe squirt some carb cleaner in the small tube and see if you can clear the clog..

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Is it setting a code??? i.e. P1401. This would be the only way a smog inspection would be able to determine if its not functioning..

If you're getting a 1401, that means the sensor isn't detecting a pressure differential across the oriface. This could be caused by an EGR valve thats failing to open, a bad DPFE sensor, or a clogged EGR tube oiriface.

If its clogging, the only thing to clog would be the oriface opening between the two small tubes. You probably won't be able to remove the EGR tube from the manifold without destroying it, but you should be able to remove it from the EGR valve.

Remove the tube from the EGR valve. Plug the end of the tube with your finger and see if you can blow through the small tube thats closest to the EGR valve. If the oriface is plugged, you won't be able to blow through it.. If its plugged, maybe squirt some carb cleaner in the small tube and see if you can clear the clog..
Thanks for this.
Question - is a functioning EGR tube imperative for the engine running smoothly, or is it strictly an emissions thing?
-Mike