RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Loose vacuum line on top of the engine

I have a 2006 F53 under my 2007 Sightseer and I found a loose vacuum line on top of the V-10 under the dog house.

It originates at the back of the engine in the air plenum behind the throttle bodies on the drivers side along with a second line that runs along the top of the passengers side valve cover.

The line in question runs along the top of the valve cover on the drivers side. At the front of the engine there is an almost 120 degree bend in the line that arcs toward the center of the engine and a rubber boot on the end. I can't see any nipple on any component within reach of the line. Can anyone tell me where this darn thing attaches?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike

Divide Wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Most engine bays have a vacuum line routing sticker fixed somewhere.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

The hose routing should be on the emissions sticker on the side of the cam cover.

I tried to find something online, but so far this is the best I could do:

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

When you have the hood open look up. About the center of the coach left to right and about a foot from the front there should be a ball shaped vacuum reservoir attached to the body. It's quite common for the line to this reservoir to become detached when checking the oil level or doing other service work in the engine compartment.

The reservoir looks like this:
http://www.evanstempcon.com/serviceimages/MVC-682F.JPG
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A picture would help. Best guess without a picture is vacuum accumulator tank hose.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
To perhaps help clarify!! The "vacuum accumulator" is also called a vacuum reservoir (VR). What is it and what is it's purpose???

It is nothing more that a temporary storage space for engine vacuum. If you've owned a car that had doors covering the headlights vacuum probably was used. Spark advance (when we had) it was controlled by engine vacuum. The automatic transmission used vacuum to control shifting.

The engines vacuum has been used to do a multitude of tasks over the years. The heater and AC use something called a blend door. The blend door is opened and closed by a vacuum signal. The door blends hot and cold air to control the passenger compartment temperatures. When that vacuum is needed the stored vacuum (VR) is used then it is replenished by the engine.

Those VR are usually a black round plastic ball the size of a baseball, softball etc. They have been around for probably 20 + years.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

An 06 would also have this reservoir:

(Ahead of the right front tire. The highlighted area (from an old post) shows the vacuum line connections.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
An 06 would also have this reservoir:

(Ahead of the right front tire. The highlighted area (from an old post) shows the vacuum line connections.)
These "accumaltors" go bad and leak like crazy. Mine "sucked in" all the top area. Easy and cheap to replace. The ONLY thing it affected was dash air.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
These "accumaltors" go bad and leak like crazy. Mine "sucked in" all the top area. Easy and cheap to replace. The ONLY thing it affected was dash air.

I posted that picture . The circle shows the area that the the rubber hose I replaced that had turned to mush and allowed extra air into the engine.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every one assumes that your HVAC requires vacuum. Which is not always the case. If you have a Fleetwood product, you probably have Denso HVAC with electric servo motors and no Vacuum is required. Thus a capped or plugged vacuum hose.

Richard
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divide Wee View Post
I have a 2006 F53 under my 2007 Sightseer and I found a loose vacuum line on top of the V-10 under the dog house.

It originates at the back of the engine in the air plenum behind the throttle bodies on the drivers side along with a second line that runs along the top of the passengers side valve cover.

The line in question runs along the top of the valve cover on the drivers side. At the front of the engine there is an almost 120 degree bend in the line that arcs toward the center of the engine and a rubber boot on the end. I can't see any nipple on any component within reach of the line. Can anyone tell me where this darn thing attaches?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike
Is something not working?..... (or are you just curious)?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing to consider is simply this. When the engine is running is there vacuum at that hose???? If there just plug it until such time as you determine where it goes and or as mel s said, "Is something not working????"
Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything seems to be working. I just found an unattached line.

The line shown in Tim's picture coming out of the intake is tied into lines in front along the passengers side.

I have a second line coming from the manifold fitting and running to the front of the manifold on the driver's side. It doesn't seem to be causing any problem but I was curious as to it's purpose. It doesn't seem to be open.

Divide Wee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine