RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Loud hissing sound like deflating a tire----

We just bought a 2015 ACE 30.2 bunkhouse with the V-10. On our way home from a "learning the new motorhome camping trip" I heard a very loud hissing sound from the right front. I immediately pulled off & checked tires which were all ok. Next I checked under the hood as the only other thing I could think of sounding like compressed air being released was the A/C compressor. I saw a loot of condensation dripping but nothing else. The A/C blew cool air but not real cold air. Any guesses what the hissing sound could be? It lasted probably 15 seconds. Very disconcerting with only 900 miles on the unit.

coachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Has it stopped and not come back? Does it happen with the engine running only? Do you have to be in motion for it to occur?

The A/C system can create a hissing noise as the refrigerant goes through the orifice tube and rapidly evaporates from a liquid to a gas. The will occur when the compressor clutch disengages. The clutch will disengage when the unit is shut off, low pressure, high pressure, or with automated system the temperature threshold is reached.

The other thing could also be a vacuum leak from the engine controls but I would think it would bulb the check engine light.

mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
We just bought a 2015 ACE 30.2 bunkhouse with the V-10. On our way home from a "learning the new motorhome camping trip" I heard a very loud hissing sound from the right front. I immediately pulled off & checked tires which were all ok. Next I checked under the hood as the only other thing I could think of sounding like compressed air being released was the A/C compressor. I saw a loot of condensation dripping but nothing else. The A/C blew cool air but not real cold air. Any guesses what the hissing sound could be? It lasted probably 15 seconds. Very disconcerting with only 900 miles on the unit.
coachk
Sorry to hear that.
I would guess that the "hissing sound" was the sound of your refrigerant leaking from the dash A/C system.
Any shop that works on automotive A/Cs can check the pressure in that system.......(or, if you have the hose and gauge from a "DIY A/C recharge kit" you can check it yourself.
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

Make sure your propane is not leaking. I had a regulator start leaking earlier in the summer and it sound like a tire leaking.
mikebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
Has it stopped and not come back? Does it happen with the engine running only? Do you have to be in motion for it to occur?

The A/C system can create a hissing noise as the refrigerant goes through the orifice tube and rapidly evaporates from a liquid to a gas. The will occur when the compressor clutch disengages. The clutch will disengage when the unit is shut off, low pressure, high pressure, or with automated system the temperature threshold is reached.

The other thing could also be a vacuum leak from the engine controls but I would think it would bulb the check engine light.

It happened while driving home, lasted 10-15 seconds and I never heard it again on the drive home. I made an appt with the Ford dealer to bring it in on Thurs. Thanks for the replies.
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #6

A new coach under warranty so have it serviced where Ford through their customer hotline recommends if the RV dealer you purchased it from is too far away to take it to.

It also could have been something failing in the entertainment system putting white noise out the right front speaker,
Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford normally will not service the dash A/C under warranty, because most MH manufacturers supply the dash A/C system.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Ford normally will not service the dash A/C under warranty, because most MH manufacturers supply the dash A/C system.

Chuck
Ford does own the compressor. That being said, yes, the rv builder uses the Ford compressor and their own (usually evans tempcon?) for the rest of the dash air. Ford may take a look at the compressor but if they don't want to, find a shop that specializes in air conditioning. Don't take it to an RV dealer. The independent ac shop can check the entire system and let you know if it is the rv builder supplied or Ford supplied part of the system that is bad.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the various fittings for oil. A loose fitting will not only leak Freon but also the lubricating oil. I had mine go out at year six due to a loose fitting. Took that long to loosen enough to leak out.

And as Pirate wrote, don't take it to a RV service center. A recharge costs less than a 1/2 a tank of gas while this time of year an RV service center might do it at no cost it's going to take weeks before they get around to it.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like the AC system was over serviced. (too much pressure) There is a pressure relief valve on the compressor (that is mounted on the passenger side of the engine) and it does make sounds like this when releaving the pressure. Most of the time it lets out too much refrigerant and causes a drop in cooling.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any luck finding out what the problem is/was? I bought a 2013 brand new this past January and it is doing something similar. Mine sounds more like either a high pitch vibration or like someone is letting air out of a ballon but pulling the air outlet so it makes a high pitch. Mine happens more when going up hill and can happen at various RPMs. Sometimes even when driving on a level surface but going into a strong headwind or sidewind. Tried turning off the A/C on mine and it did not make a difference. My pitch last about 6 -10 seconds and is very hard to duplicate.

Any ideas?

greyeagleb is offline   Reply With Quote