Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Low beam headlights not working

After much research on headlights I still can't find the answer. My brother in law owns a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser on a F53 chassis. The low beam headlights do work as part of the bright lights, but not on the low beams function.

Some posters say no headlight relay on this chassis and some say that there is. Either way we are not able to find the cause. Any ideas?
Dixie Mopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Mopars View Post
After much research on headlights I still can't find the answer. My brother in law owns a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser on a F53 chassis. The low beam headlights do work as part of the bright lights, but not on the low beams function.

Some posters say no headlight relay on this chassis and some say that there is. Either way we are not able to find the cause. Any ideas?
#1 check power outflow from headlight switch-if non replace switch -if there is and there is non at headlights then there must be a relay
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it has a relay:

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Thank guys! But we are still lost on this one. Does anyone know the location of the relay, under the dash or on the firewall? We do not have a chassis manual but the wiring diagram that was posted helps, but we are still unsure of where the relay it is. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank guys! But we are still lost on this one. Does anyone know the location of the relay, under the dash or on the firewall? We do not have a chassis manual but the wiring diagram that was posted helps, but we are still unsure of where the relay it is. Thanks!
have you established that power comes out of the headlite switch
the relay will be under the dash on the driver side or under the hood on the firewall somewhere
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Headlight relay is located in the Auxiliary relay box 1 in the engine compartment, LH side.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Have you actually checked to see whether or not you have power at the low beam filament of the headlights. Our 2001 Adventurer had the old style sealed beam headlights the same as your 2002. The outer bulbs were both high and low beams. The inner bulbs were high beams only. The optional daytime running lights used the low beams at 60% and were on anytime the ignition switch was on. The low beam filaments lasted about 8 years (they're rated to last between 300 and 320 hours) before they burned out. A couple new H4656 headlights solved the problem.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
The low beam headlights do work as part of the bright lights, but not on the low beams function.

?
That wrong.

Low beams should be OFF when high beams are switched ON.

Somehow there are wired together on the high beam circuit. Look for non factory wiring.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Thanks Subford, select55, hikerdogs and twinboat! Mr. Subford, the wiring diagram helped a great deal. We found the proper relay and replaced it with a working one, but no change. Mr. Hikerdogs and Twinboat, we might have been looking at the wrong thing after all. We have both lights working when on high beams, but nothing on the low mode. We never realized that the outside headlights are the low beams, so we will be checking the bulbs tomorrow. You guys are super to help us. I will let you know what we find out. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #10

Well guys, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. We replaced the high/low headlights and low and behold, we have lights. Thanks to all of you guys. Happy New Year to all. Dixie Mopars
Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Been there done that. Who would suspect both bulbs being out. I do now !
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Been there done that. Who would suspect both bulbs being out. I do now !
In all likelihood they burned out at far different times. As I mentioned earlier if you have the daytime running lights the low beams are on anytime the ignition is on. The fact is that most people set up camp long before dark, and do relatively little night driving so it's not unusual to not notice they were out.

I have no idea how long both of our low beam lights were out before I replaced them. I just happened to be doing an oil change and had the wife start the motor to check for leaks. I was a bit surprised the lights didn't come on. In our case it didn't take long to figure out the problem. Actually I was surprised that the lights lasted as long as they did. They lasted longer than any sealed beams on any other vehicle we've had.

Tags
light, lights