Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #1

LUGNUT CAPs : how do you remove?

I have a Ford V10 rexhal 32 ft class A with 19.5" wheels and aluminum wheel covers.
I see two "dummy" caps with a mark on my wheel cover and I think those need removed which will give me access to the real lug nuts on the wheels.
I dont know why there are two dummy nuts marked,I think onjly one is necessary to allow removal of the dummy wlum wheel covers,right?
If so it must be an extra.
I tried to pry the dummy lug caps off with a chisel/hammer short of tweaking the aluminum. That didnt work so I dried waterpump pliars. That doesnt budge the dummy lug cap either.
The only choice I se is destroying the cap in getting it off.
First I want to ask if there is a better way of getting the caps (s) off?
I think Ill post this on the wider forum now that I think of it because other makes must have similar issues.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The two nuts with a mark on the side should be unscrewed just like the lug nuts. My coach came with a t-handle wrench just for this. A big adjustable wrench or vise grip pliers work fine too.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
I have a Ford V10 rexhal 32 ft class A with 19.5" wheels and aluminum wheel covers.
I see two "dummy" caps with a mark on my wheel cover and I think those need removed which will give me access to the real lug nuts on the wheels.
I dont know why there are two dummy nuts marked,I think onjly one is necessary to allow removal of the dummy wlum wheel covers,right?
If so it must be an extra.
I tried to pry the dummy lug caps off with a chisel/hammer short of tweaking the aluminum. That didnt work so I dried waterpump pliars. That doesnt budge the dummy lug cap either.
The only choice I se is destroying the cap in getting it off.
First I want to ask if there is a better way of getting the caps (s) off?
I think Ill post this on the wider forum now that I think of it because other makes must have similar issues.

I'll bet someone put them on with an air impact gun cranked up.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
The only choice I se is destroying the cap in getting it off..
Short of a solution or the proper method "Do No Harm!"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

I recall back in early 70s while trying to get a wheel off a dodge I was jumping on a star wrench trying to undo the lugs. Come to find out they must be turned clockwise to loosen. Would havew never guessed. I was going to break the wrench or my leg until someone intervened.
Thank for the Internet forums today

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Short of a solution or the proper method "Do No Harm!"
Old 11-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
KJB

I had the same situation on my 2011 Coachmen. I needed to remove the front covers to install my tire pressure monitors. I could not budge the 2 nuts with the indentations that are necessary to remove to remove the cover itself. My unit came with the hand T handle for this purpose but it was too light duty to do the job. I took it back to the dealer and they removed them for me using a socket and breaker bar. I reinstalled them using the T handle and now I can get them off using the T handle.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's time to throw out the t-handle tool they supply,as they are usually twisted into junk after the first attempt to use, and fit a real 1/2" drive socket attached to at least a 12"-16" breaker bar. What likely happened is the last tire shop to work on the rig air gunned on the 2 dummy caps(they have dimples at the base-Dicor brand 1 1/8" socket works on my 2000 Damon) at 150 lbs. torque, same as lugs. Position breaker so you can use your weight to advantage and have at it! Good Luck!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lugnut caps

Our 2008 Windsport 235/80 22.5 tires have the same nut covers. One way to remove them is to get a 1-5/8" socket set. The two nut covers with the dimples are the two to unscrew. You will mark them with the socket but the only other way to remove them is tough. The nut they cover has a groove that the dimples fit into when they are pushed on. I could no get them off so I cut them off. I bought replacements at a truck store (Pilot has some) and replaced the orignal covers with the replacements. the replacement dimples don't lock into the groove of the nut. they fit very tight but you can remove them. They sell a tool for that removal in truck stops. There are two per tire and both need to be removed to get the cover off to get to the lug nuts.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I recall back in early 70s while trying to get a wheel off a dodge I was jumping on a star wrench trying to undo the lugs. Come to find out they must be turned clockwise to loosen. Would havew never guessed. I was going to break the wrench or my leg until someone intervened.
Thank for the Internet forums today
older chrysler vehichles were right hand thread on right side and left hand thread on left side just like class A trucks .Cant began to tell you how many broken studs i have replaced after being broke off.
crazy pappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine too have the 22.5 wheels 8 lug, the lugs nuts on this one are larger than the lug nuts on a truck I have with 19.5 but the procedure is the same. I measured the out side of the cover on the 22,5 just last Friday and ordered a 1 9/16 socket to fit the out side of it and used that to remove the cover yesterday. The only difference you would have possibly is the out side dimension of your cover which would be the size socket you need.

How it's held in place is the same there is a collar that screws onto the wheel stud on the threads that are left over after tightening the lug nut down, that collar is snugged up not super tightened with the original chintzy T tool provided. The handle of this T tool is for prying off the big wheel cap if it sticks, NOT as leverage to twist the tool to remove the collar if it seizes on during use.

During installation use a little never seize on the threads, snug up the collar with the T tool provided, then push the lug nut cover on. For removal your supposed to be able to use the T tool over the lug nut cover to turn the cover and collar off at the same time barring it sticking on where you then resort to measuring and then using an every day socket of that size to remove.

The only time air tools should come into play is when they are tightening the separate lug nut.

This was my project last week so it's still very fresh in my mind.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #11

if I am not mistaken you can buy the cover removal tool at most truck stops and if you need new covers they have those as well
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bear View Post
It's time to throw out the t-handle tool they supply,as they are usually twisted into junk after the first attempt to use, and fit a real 1/2" drive socket attached to at least a 12"-16" breaker bar. What likely happened is the last tire shop to work on the rig air gunned on the 2 dummy caps(they have dimples at the base-Dicor brand 1 1/8" socket works on my 2000 Damon) at 150 lbs. torque, same as lugs. Position breaker so you can use your weight to advantage and have at it! Good Luck!
I agree with Bad Bear. The T handle won't remove the nuts if they've been torqued more than about 10 lbs. I'm not sure I would torque them to 150 lbs. The hub caps (simulators) are only thin sheet metal. The metal stretches and deforms easily. They may be tissue paper thin in short order.

I've never seen left handed threads on on any Ford F53 chassis. In 2001 Ford did issue a bulletin increasing the wheel lug nut torque on the 19.5" wheels to 165 lbs.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #13

Update taking my time

I measured the T bar that is to use on the dummy nuts.
Its id is just short of 1.1/4 inches. 1 1/6.
Since its about half way between 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 Im going to assume 1 1/4?
Anyone know fersure which socked will fit? 1 1/8 or 1 1/4?

30 min later edit:
I just called rexall and the tech said get a socket 1 1/4. So Il go get a 1 1/4 socket thats 1+ in deep and that should do it.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my front covers (Called Simulators by the way) so the lug nuts are different front and rear on my coach.

Rear. the caps do not come off, the proper size wrench will take the nut off, the "T" handle job that came with the coach... Basically junk.. It will work but go to Sears and get the proper socket and extension to use your ratchet to put it back on.

The front ones I have a lug cap remover from a truck stop, this is a padded pair of pliars, I almost never use it as I tend to pry the caps off. These have "Dimples" in them that grip the nut underneath.

YOu do need to remove two, Usually on opposite sides of the circle of lugs.