Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Maintenance surprise at the Ford Dealer - Need advice

Just got a call from my service adviser at the Ford Dealer. 1999 F53 Chassis with 62,000 miles. I have no maintenance records for the coach. Got it at 52,000 miles.
They suggest:
- Flush coolant and replace...I think my coolant is green and should be replaced as they suggest?
- Replace spark plugs..Manual says 100k miles
- Fuel system service..I dont know what this is but I did have them replace fuel filter..
- Transmission fluid replacement..Manual indicates 60k..
- Brake fluid flush...manual says every two years?

So, I'm looking at doing the transmission and the coolant...The dealer referenced a flush kit for the transmission and something about an internal filter. What is this kit?

How do I flush and replace the coolant? Just like a car right?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

Hi, I would also flush the brake fluid. I have a 1988 RV and I overheated the brakes in WA and lost my brakes.

It's cheap to do and surely reduces the chance of losing your brakes when you are working them hard.

Just my thoughts... IAN.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The coolant can be tested to see if it needs changing, but it won't hurt anything but your wallet. Color isn't a good indicator, acidic levels and other chemistry is.

I'd ask about what a fuel system service is, some places have new 'systems' that flush fuel lines with cleaner - most always an unnecessary 'for profit' deal.

Spark plugs CAN go 100 K miles, but if they are changed now, it will be easier than at 100 K. Spark plugs have been an issue in V10s, I don't know about your model but you can search for other threads about it.

Transmission and brake fluids, yes, they probably need changing and it's good for you and the RV in the long run.

That being said, you might ask an independent shop's charge for the same service, dealers have more overhead to make you pay for.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

Bflin, thanks for your time and comments..
I will hold off on the coolant as Ford did tell me the chemical tests as you reference were well within range.

Isn't changing the trans fluid an easy task? Drop the pan, replace a filter and seal, re- fill and done?

Why do you feel it will be harder to replace plugs at 100k vs my current 62k miles? I have read about the plug "blow out" issues and have no idea if I"m affected.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
They are steel spark plugs in an aluminum head, the difference in expansion/shrinking factors and the dissimilar metals can cause issues. See this article: V10 Ford Engine Problems | eHow.com

I'd have the dealer replace them, making sure to use anti-seize compound. If they strip one, they should repair it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

I would recommend all suggested except replacing plugs at only 62k miles.

Best of luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a trans fluid flush done at 62,000. The previous owner had it done at 30,000. Manual says 30 & 60,000. The cost was about $180, cheap compared to a trans replacement.
Also recommend brake fluid flush, might eliminate caliper hangup problems, also a common problem on motorhomes. I will get that done before Spring.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Isn't changing the trans fluid an easy task? Drop the pan, replace a filter and seal, re- fill and done?
They flush the transmission fluid which totally exchanges the fluid in the torque converter.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just dropping the pan and replacing the filter, only gets about 1/3 of the transmission oil. You need to drain the torque converter to get it all. Total is about 17 quarts of fluid.

I do not think that the 1999 has a drain plug on the torque converter, so you will need to do a flush. At 60K, I'd recommend a filter change on the transmission.

Even if the antifreeze checks, good and it is over 5 years old, I'd replace it.

Plugs....if it is running OK and they can tell on the scope if the plugs are all firing right, I'd let it go to 100K.

Basically, they are looking for work. You may do better on price and quality of work at a local and trusted transmission shop.

while you are at it, add an external transmission fluid cooler in series with the factory cooler.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally would have it all done since you have no maintenance records. In addition even though not recommended - belts and all radiator and heater hoses should be changed and have a new thermostat installed also.

Better to do it all now than to be stuck in some small podunk town with a blown hose or broken belt on Friday evening and it can't be taken care of until Monday if then, a great way to ruin a vacation.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might ask about the cost of changing the plugs. If they do book time, they'll be using the typical hard-to-do F-350 and Excursion. A plug change on a Class-A with a doghouse is a piece of cake and I can do it in about 30-40 minutes.

Also remind your service manager that a non-certified mechanic should *NOT* be allowed to touch the plugs on your rig. The plugs are very particular about being torqued correctly and can blow out, necessitating a mult-thousand-dollar repair bill at Ford or a $700-$900 heli-coil fix at a non-factory repair facility. Either way, keep the receipt of the plug change as Ford will be on the hook if the plug blows out, which is pretty common.
They also need to be threaded in by hand before a wrench touches them. Failure to follow these rules may not be known until a few thousand miles down the road.

I considered having the dealer do it on my 99, but after seeing $300-$400 estimates for changing the plugs, I bought the right tools (including magnetic sockets and a inch/lb torque wrench) and did it myself.

I don't think I'd have it done under the following conditions:
1) You don't notice it missing.
2) It isn't setting spark related codes.
3) The dealer can scan the "mode 6" data - the service manager will not know what this is, it'll require an experienced and certified Ford tech. If the misfires on mode 6 are low or zero, don't mess with them. This is just reading the data that your engine computer already has. It does require special equipment.

My rig needed 2 plugs at 61k.

Fuel system service is high margin BS. They'll run chemicals through the intake for a $100-$200 charge.

Want to be proactive?
Have the coolant checked (per above) -if it's old, replace it.
Transmission fluid changed.
Check your rear bushings on the sway bar.
Replace the 90 degree vacuum tube under the throttle body all the way to the PVC
Consider replacing the DPFE sensor if it's the old metal one. (Aftermarket is cheaper)
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #12

the spark plugs thing is a money grab. Coolant should be replaced up to every 5yrs or 80k miles (I have the original coolant in my 15yr old car, so go figure). Trans fluid flush and a new filter is just good peace of mind. The rest is recommended
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If you have the V8.. change the plugs yourself, but if you have the V10, have themn do it.. it's a royal pain and if you cross thread one or don't get it torqued right it can be a real disaster.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #14

appreciate all the feedback...Some of the items I thought were overkill, like the fuel system service...I will focus on fluids, belts, hoses, tires.

Tags
maintenance, ford