Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Manufacturer differences F53 chassis

We are looking at going to an A from a C. A DP is not in our plans but a 30 couple foot gas is. Reading about the different mods people are doing has me wondering about how different builders set up on the Ford F-53 chassis. I see a lot of folks modding most models but not much about folks with a Newmar or Tiffin gas coach. That has me wondering of those folks do not need mods because the high end builders do more with the chassis or if there is other magic going on. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mentioned two good companies in your post: Newmar & Tiffin. We've owned both brands, an 88 & a 93 Tiffin Allegro (both on P30 Chevy chassis) and a 13 Newmar Canyon Star (a 26K F53 chassis). We are VERY pleased with our Newmar, both product & service. Can't comment on Tiffin's F53 product as we never owned one. We did visit Red Bay many years ago for some service & were pleased. We've never been to Nappanee for service. Haven't needed to. Does that tell you something about Newmar QC?

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

If you look at the profiles of those making the "mods" I think you'll find most are done on motorhomes 35' and longer. We're on our second Winnebago Adventurer. Our 2001 32V (actually 32' 11") benefitted from an add on rear sway bar and new shocks all around. This was a 20,500 lb. chassis with a 208" wheelbase, and 19.5" tires The shocks on that model were still Ford shocks and only expected to last 25,000 to 30,000 miles. We replaced them with lifetime Bilsteins which now come standard on the F53 chassis. We drove it over 100,000 miles without needing to make any additional changes on the suspension, engine, or transmission.

Our 2013 Adventurer 32H (33' 3") is built on a 22,000 lb. chassis with a 228" wheelbase and 22.5" tires. We haven't made any modifications, nor do we intend to make any. It runs and handles fine.

Many of the motorhomes that have been modified also seem to have the large house built on the shorter wheelbase models of this chassis. Keep in mind there are at least 3 different wheelbase lengths for each weight class in the F53 lineup, except for the 20,500 lb. chassis which only has 2

Here's a link to the 2014 F53 chassis brochure. Note the different wheelbases and tire sizes, (among other things) between the different chassis weight classes
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf
Old 07-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When evaluating gas chassis you have to keep in mind a few major items that can not be changed once your purchase is made. Tires sizes chassis weight and overall length.

Our second MH was a 1999 34'Newmar DS gas on the F-53 chassis. It had the 19.5" tires. Our MH now is a 31' also with 19.5" tires. It we were to have gotten the next size up (35') from WBGO it would have had the 22.5" tires. The ride difference between the small and larger tires is significant the 22.5" being the better.

Chassis size is next. The more weight you are going to carry the better the ride will be. More than likely it will also have the bigger tires. The weight and tire size will make for a better ride and handling. Yes an air ride in a DP will also help but you said you didn't want a DP. I've also read that not all air ride chassis ride that well either. That's just what I've read.

Chassis length will also provide a better ride. It may be due to the combination of length weight and usually the bigger tires.

You kind of get the idea what's involved. Weight, length and tire size. I was at at semi truck place the other day and noticed that all those 18-wheelers use the 22.5" tires. That's something that I didn't know.

The P30 chassis I've also heard is very nice but they don't make it anymore.

TeJay
Old 07-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #5

Actually I have been watching the series on ACE mods that are shorter MH's. I'll take another look at the wheel base measurements. I did not connect body size to wheel base. I suspect I might find the low end is stuffing the most house on the smallest chassis to keep the cost down.

The wheels and tires may be the same deal. Things to ponder... Thanks!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53