Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Massive transmission leak that just went away.

We have a 1993 Fleetwood Jamboree 22' on a Ford E-350 Chassis. Last weekend, the weirdest thing happened on a trip to a friend's family vacation house in the Sonoma hills. We drive 2 hours to dinner. Then drive 1/2 hour (most of which was uphill) very slowly to the vacation home. When we got to the end of the driveway, we noticed that we were leaking fluid....a LOT of fluid. This scared the heck out of me as I initially thought it was oil. I put a bowl underneath the rig right under where the leak was and checked fluids. Everything looked fine. I was able to determine that it was transmission fluid.

By morning there was almost a pint of fluid in the bucket (plus whatever we lost on the ground). The streak of fluid was only about 20 feet long so it wasn't leaking for long. However, it was leaking a lot when it did leak. The transmission fluid dipstick showed that we were at exactly the top of the "Full" marker for a cold engine (again at morning when the engine was indeed cold).

I started up the engine and drove it 2 hours home (stopping regularly to check the fluid level and make sure there were no leaks). It hasn't leaked since.

So, I'm thinking maybe the transmission had too much fluid in it? Does that make sense? Would a transmission empty out if there was too much fluid and it got really hot from going uphill? I did have it looked at about 8 months ago to make sure everything was good. It was a shop that specialized in transmissions. They said it was in good shape, but the fluid was old and durty so they replaced it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We run a fleet of Ford F250/350 utility trucks and found that the ones having the E4OD transmission would vent their tranny fluid out the top vent when severely overheated.
Usually they could be topped off and continue in service for awhile but some had burnt clutch packs and had to be rebuilt.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Most of the time this happened during snow plowing season.
Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

I suspect the trans was overfilled and the hard drive overheated the fluid and forced it out the vent. Have the fluid changed again using a Ford approved fluid, not a generic, as it is probably burnt. Is this an overdrive transmission (E40D) ?
brucenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucenem View Post
I suspect the trans was overfilled and the hard drive overheated the fluid and forced it out the vent. Have the fluid changed again using a Ford approved fluid, not a generic, as it is probably burnt. Is this an overdrive transmission (E40D) ?
Yes, it is an overdrive transmission.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Known Ford problem as already noted. Sometimes they puke out the vent but often they will spit fluid out the front seal. Change the fluid and put an auxiliary trans cooler on it.
These trannys will also puke fluid if ran hard in reverse, like backing up a long steep hill.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting reading this thread... Our 1997 Fleetwood Pace Arrow on Ford chassis has done this twice, including yesterday, arriving at campground and having to back up several times to get into the best position for our jacks. First (and only other time) it happened was after driving home from our first trip, and backing up hard in our driveway. I checked fluid last time and it was OK. Have not checked yet this time.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just checked my transmission fluid level and it's fine parked and level. We left quite a trail on the ground here yesterday though.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the info everybody. I think my course of action at this point will be to have an oil cooler installed. I was already thinking about this, but now for sure. I would like to tow with this at some point so even without this experience it would have been a good idea.

Cyrus

Tags
leak, transmission