Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #43

Early turbos had to have oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Turbos have oil going to them from the engines oil system as long as the engine is running. If you shut the engine down as soon as you stop the vehicle, the turbo will continue to "freewheel"at VERY HIGH RPM with no oil because the pump only runs when the engine is running. Engine needs to be idled several minutes to let impeller stay oiled while slowing down speed.
Early 80s, SCCA 3 hour enduro, Mustang SVO, 2.3L Turbo. There was a required driver change. Driver came in, shut the engine off, #2 got in the car, started engine which expired immediately. Don't believe idle down requirement was common knowledge. Is this still a requirement?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes! turbos get well over 1000 degrees. The exhaust at idle is hot, but not near what it is at load. If you shut down immeadiatly, as in pulling into a rest area on the interstate , the heat will go from the turbo blades to the bearings and cook the oil and the bearings. Oil not only lubricates the bearings, It also cools them.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #45

Turbos don't free wheel at high speed. Once at idle its hardly turning.

You can't spin a pair of fans in housings without resistance. Pull off the intake side and watch the blades turn at idle, I have.

To have the turbo spinning fast without oil, you would need to shut the engine down at full boost.

We've had that happen often and the turbos lasted 20,000 hours. This was with conventional oil in Cat V12, 800+ hp engines.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #46

Twinboat - coaking the bearings is a big enough problem with turbos that the car manufacturers usually water-cool them now so that they will be sure to last the warranty period with the usual bonehead drivers. Could be your big V12s were designed to run bigger blowers at a lower speed, especially if in a maritime application where throttle response isn't expected to be snappy. Yes just turning them against static pressure results in a resistance, but there's less of that when the waste gate pops. This is dominated by the angular momentum of the blower more than air resistance.

wimpy - early 80's SCCA with SVOs - that was showroom stock. Nothing you could do within the rules to affect a solution. Was it the turbo that went - when the bearings go the high vacuum on the exhaust side pulls a ton of oil past the degraded bearing resulting in the crop-duster effect. (I was Chief of Tech for the Indy region back then, and one of my inspectors worked for Ford during the week on trunk kits for SSA and SSGT mustangs)

There have always been turbo-oilers you can buy. They store up oil and compress air behind a moving diaphragm when pressurized oil is available, then a solenoid closes a valve. On shutdown, the valve opens and dumps oil into the bearing while the turbo spins down.

I still can't tell what WDW and bay rider are talking about. There is no "Mobil 1 advanced high performance synthetic" There's Mobil 1 and all of it's extended performance and high mileage variants, Which is the polyalphaolefin product and there's Mobil Super synthetic, which is the long-chain dino oil product.

look here: https://mobiloil.com/en/product-cata...nal_Comparison

If the different is $3 a quart you are comparing Super with M1. Super is $4/qt, M1 is $7/qt, and M1 Racing is $12/qt - and you can't get that stuff at Wal-mart.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post

I still can't tell what WDW and bay rider are talking about. There is no "Mobil 1 advanced high performance synthetic" There's Mobil 1 and all of it's extended performance and high mileage variants, Which is the polyalphaolefin product and there's Mobil Super synthetic, which is the long-chain dino oil product.

look here: https://mobiloil.com/en/product-cata...nal_Comparison

If the different is $3 a quart you are comparing Super with M1. Super is $4/qt, M1 is $7/qt, and M1 Racing is $12/qt - and you can't get that stuff at Wal-mart.

Yeah, it was the Extended Performance, $10+ per qt at Walmart VS $7+ for the standard M1.
bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #48

Turbos, heat & M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
wimpy - early 80's SCCA with SVOs - that was showroom stock. Nothing you could do within the rules to affect a solution. Was it the turbo that went -
Yes it did. Bitch was, they drove it to the track (Charlotte Motor Speedway) & didn't have a trailer + were either New England or CenDiv).

Locally Walmart M1 is ~$24/5 qts.

I used Universal Lubricants (vegetable oil based synthetic, IIRC) out of Waco, TX in my SSC Opel Isuzu. Did 5K filter changes w/top ups (it was $4 or so in 77) & Wix Filters in Gastonia did the analysis. At 30K (23 race week-ends, including 4 drivers schools, 14 Regionals & 10 Nationals + CSPRRC) there was 0 wear, i.e., no significant particulates in the oil tested. I was convinced of the efficacy of synthetics & have used them ever since.

You still racing your Van Diemen?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #49

Does anyone have any experience with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40? I couldn't find any info on it online even on the Mobil 1 website.
I just bought 7 gallons online from Walmart and it was delivered to my door in two days. Can't beat that. It cost $24.14 per gallon and shipping was free.
I plan on putting it in my Cummins ISC330 8.3liter and my Onan QD8000 generator. I also bought a Femco drain plug valve but after looking at it closely I figured it would take all day to drain 22-24 quarts of oil due to its design as there is a very restricted passage for the oil. I am sending it back and have ordered a Fumoto valve to replace it. I have had one on an airplane and was quite happy with it. I probably will drill a hole in the lever so I can safety wire it shut to protect it from draining accidentally if it takes a hit from debris on the road. I once lost my generator exhaust pipe from a traffic cone someone had knocked into the middle of the lane in a cone zone.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_165829167.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	223512
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Yes it did. Bitch was, they drove it to the track (Charlotte Motor Speedway) & didn't have a trailer

You still racing your Van Diemen?
I remember so many guys did that - one was a former collage classmate - he was pretty much a moron. Brought an RX-7 SSA to IRP and hit the turn 5 wall, severely munching the car and breaking his feet. No trailer. This same guy got drunk at a frat party and tried to steal something from another frat and jumped off a third story roof in his escape. Broke his neck and almost ended up paralyzed. I'd say thinking ahead wasn't his forte'.

Have a race at Willow Springs in two weeks.

I use that Turbo Diesel Truck oil in the race car. Used to use the 10W40 4T product, but the TDT is cheaper, easier to find, and has more ZDDP in it.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #51

Twinboat

You are right....Does not freewheel at top speed. Freewheels when you take your big foot out of a wide open throttle and shut the engine off imediately.The impeller will continue to spin indeffinately with NO OIL. and extreme heat build up which kills the bearings, and oil. I spin my impellar during oil changes to check the bearings (with engine off,just so you will know I am almost as smart as you),to help prevent a failure during operation. Also excuse my spelling. I am just a Hillbilly.
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I bought 2001 Mountain Aire last year. Had 107K miles. I changed the oil with Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic 5w30. I ran that in my 03 IH Cat c15. engine used 1 gallon every 8000 miles since new. I started extending change intervals at around 80k and Cat oil filter and sample every 15 to 20k. took it all the way to 260k between changes. engine had 1,360,000 when truck was wrecked. was still running great. No internal repairs. on my cars I've been running Mobil1 and changing around 15k with wix filters. had 292k on ford 3.0 dohc when trans retired the car.
dnkmcg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryNomad View Post
I'm not a big fan of Mobil 1 anymore. I've had three engine failures using Mobil 1.

First engine excessive piston wear. Second engine a turbo failure and third engine a spun main bearing.

All engines under 100000 miles and followed recommended oil change intervals.
Did you read this;

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warr...n-oil-warranty

Oil guys are serious with their Guarantees.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote