Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I'll add to the confusion:

For the Monroe's (which I'm interested in) Shockwarehouse lists 2 part numbers which I assume cover all chassis weights too. However, they state that the part number (Front 557001) covers 1990 to 2017. The Monroe catalog lists no chassis weights either but that part number is only for 1989 to 2007.

The rear part number is 557007 which also has no chassis weights and is listed by Shockwarehouse for years 1999 to 2017. Monroe has no chassis weights either but the part number is only for 1999 to 2007.

What to do???
I think this is a big part of the problem, I don't think anyone is tuning shocks very specifically for the F53 at various weights.

I mentioned this before would really to to have an adjustable shock so I can tune to my liking. There has to be a Rancho 9000 that would fit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I think this is a big part of the problem, I don't think anyone is tuning shocks very specifically for the F53 at various weights.

I mentioned this before would really to to have an adjustable shock so I can to to my liking. There has to be a Rancho 9000 that would fit.
I'm thinking the same thing. I found these specs from Monroe:

The front shock:

Uses a LS54 Mount
Compressed length of 17.38 inches
Extended length of 29.13 inches
Travel of 11.75 inches

The rear shock:

Uses a LS54 Mount
Compressed length of 16 inches
Extended length of 29.63 inches
Travel of 9.63 inches
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #17

Class A here, when we got back from Alaska last fall, I took the RV in and had the front Bilstiens removed and Koni FSD installed. On our first outing since and I'm loving these Koni's. The Bilstiens were 4 years old.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
There may be different part numbers for some year shocks but we really don't know why. Maybe those different years of a shock numbers are due to a different sized bolt being used. Or some other mechanical reason other than an attempt at valving changes to provide a better ride.

They have aptly demonstrated they don't really care how or even if the RV rides better based on the chassis weight my guess is the different numbers are solely due to some mechanical or other reason.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found these shocks made by Gabriel. Gas shocks with 3 settings. Fits 1999 to 2019. 16K to 22K chassis. I have to email them to find out what fits the 26K chassis.

Gabriel | GasSLX® Shocks

Gabriel | Heavy-Duty / Commercial Part Search
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #20

I had Monroes on our old MH, they were ok. On our '99 35' Winnie I installed the KYBs last March. They were horrible! Very stiff and pounded on every bump. I installed Konis on the front a few weeks ago and took a road test. Immediately ordered the rears.
We just traveled from Az. to Mi., 2100 miles and love the Koni shocks. They are expensive but worth every penny. Ride and handling were vastly improved.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Greetings,

I am getting ready to have the alignment corrected on my 2018 E450 class C. My local shop carries the Monroe HD for RVS and buses. Reading the Monroe site it sounds very good. I'm no expert, does anyone on the forum have any experience?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

It's funny how sometimes people miss the most important details. He has an E450, NOT an F53.

Shocks for E350, E450-

Bilstiens are excellent shocks for the price. They make TWO versions that fit the E350-E450s.

If you like a soft, cushy ride with some amount of body roll, they make a "Comfort" series. Those part numbers are... 33-187563 fronts and 33-176840 rears.

They also make a series that's more for longer and heavier applications. It will still have a nice ride, NOT harsh at all, and will greatly improve handling and reduce body roll. Those part numbers are... 33-176857 and 33-187570.

I have tried both, I definitely recommend the stronger versions over the softer/mushier comfort series. Konis are priced higher than they're worth and are often harsh. Gabriels and Monroes are fine if you want cheap shocks that don't work or last that long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks