Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moog Bushings compressing

Installed MOOG Urethane bushings at all four sway bar points and they have compressed down to about 3/4 of original in 700 miles.

This don't seem right, 1996 F53.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you saying the sway bars are now loose in the bushings? I can't envision a urathane bushing "conpressing" itself.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Are you saying the sway bars are now loose in the bushings? I can't envision a urathane bushing "conpressing" itself.

I'm referring to the sway bar end link bushings one on top one on bottom. Both have compressed to where they are quite loose between the concave washers.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That certainly shouldn't have happened, providing proper bushings, sleeves, washers and torqued.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That certainly shouldn't have happened, providing proper bushings, sleeves, washers and torqued.
There are no sleeves in the top bushings and there is no over-torque as the top concave washer only goes down so far to a positive stop on the bushing spindle.

I'll get a picture out this evening, pooped right now been under that thing most of the day, repaired the horns (rust), fabricated a rusted out exhaust heat shield, then found the current problem.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
There are no sleeves in the top bushings and there is no over-torque as the top concave washer only goes down so far to a positive stop on the bushing spindle.

I'll get a picture out this evening, pooped right now been under that thing most of the day, repaired the horns (rust), fabricated a rusted out exhaust heat shield, then found the current problem.

Here is a picture, the 2 black ones on the left are new std. bushings. The MOOG's are pancaking out from road use. I noticed a gap between the top washer and the Moog bushing on both sides of the coach. When I bought it all 4 of the front spindle bushings were completely gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (800x450).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	25556  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think you are worrying over nothing. The washers on the outside are meant to compress the bushing to make them tighter in the link eye and keep them from squishing out.

The forces on the bushings are 0 and 180 degrees when installed. So as long as they are not elongating from the inside out, breaking down and remain centered in the eye when not under load, you are good to go.

I could be missing something I cant see, so a good picture of them installed showing your concern may help.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I think you are worrying over nothing. The washers on the outside are meant to compress the bushing to make them tighter in the link eye and keep them from squishing out.

The forces on the bushings are 0 and 180 degrees when installed. So as long as they are not elongating from the inside out, breaking down and remain centered in the eye when not under load, you are good to go.

I could be missing something I cant see, so a good picture of them installed showing your concern may help.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, except the worry over nothing part.
The new bushings were installed snugged down so there was no "slop" in up or down movement of the bushings other than what may be generated by compression against the sway bar during normal suspension travel.
What I found was the MOOG bushings have collapsed from the suspension action, this has created a gap between the top washer and the retainer nut of about 3/8 of an inch on both the right and left sides.
I can't send a picture, I adjusted both sides already this morning. I will be watching them closely.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx

The new bushings were installed snugged down so there was no "slop" in up or down movement of the bushings other than what may be generated by compression against the sway bar during normal suspension travel.
I hope "snugged down" means torqued to 70-75 ft lbs.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I hope "snugged down" means torqued to 70-75 ft lbs.

I heard my wrist "click"

Actually, the nut is down as far as it will go, the top concave washer is seated as far down as it will go due to the loss of stack height of the bushings. This was accomblished with a 6" ratchet with little effort, no significant torque prior to "bottoming out".