Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Motorhome roll & sway

Ok, I've done my research & read the threads here about motorhome roll & sway. If my 2006 F3 chassis has the front trac bar & front & rear sway bars as I've seen posts say it has, why does our coach roll & sway so on curvy, hilly roads?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Have you checked the sway bar bushings? Mine were shot on my 2006. I also think that the F-53 may sway and such regardless of what you do. It is the nature of the beast.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

You are also not driving the family car. You have a house on wheels, which is very top heavy. If the road slope is away from the center line you will sway out. Lower speed will help some.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Slap some Koni Shocks on that unit.

They will all but eliminate the sway and truck wash you are talking about.

Make sure you do fronts and back.

i have put them on every coach I buy, they are just amazing the difference they make. Money well spent.

And I dont even work for themhttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
Slap some Koni Shocks on that unit.

They will all but eliminate the sway and truck wash you are talking about.

Make sure you do fronts and back.

i have put them on every coach I buy, they are just amazing the difference they make. Money well spent.

They cure migrane headaches also.

As previously stated check sway bar bushings, stock are probably shot, replace with polyurethane bushings (Even if they look good, replace them anyway). Try the cheap fix that is talked about in this Forum. Quite a few have said it helps. If you have airbags, add some more air. If you don't have air bags, install them. If you have OEM shocks, probably need new ones, but in any case bushings first.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

I put the polyurethane bushings on the rear sway bar and I can tell you it does make a difference.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #7

WHere did you buy the polyurethane bushings from - both front and rear are shot on my Damon and I need to replace and I don't want to put stock rubber back.

Thanks for the help
GA Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #8

ebay
Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camper View Post
WHere did you buy the polyurethane bushings from - both front and rear are shot on my Damon and I need to replace and I don't want to put stock rubber back.

Thanks for the help
Here is the link to the bushings: F53 POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS | eBay=

I just installed these myself 3 weeks ago and they are of very good quality.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

Try this, it made a world of difference in my rig. Plus, I replaced my sway bar bushings also.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up Big Difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by full-timer View Post
I put the polyurethane bushings on the rear sway bar and I can tell you it does make a difference.

Joe
We just got our 04 SWind 32, V10, back from service (Lazydays, TPA) having the rear sway bar bushings replaced (originals were gone!). We used the Poly as suggested...WoW!! What a HUGE DIFFERENCE! Drove home in 25_35 mph wnd gusts, direct broadside on pass. side. Big improvement and most noticeable in 90 turns, the roll was only minimal vs quite noticeable before! I thought it was just the way there are, being tall boxey trucks(our first RV, class A).

T he "Rock & Roll" is virtually gone!! We had all 4 corners weighed, tires proper psi....rear airbags, upped to 60psi....Steer Safe installed on front....this baby drives like a DREAM MACHINE now! Get everything snug, add Steer Safe (bolt on springs, simple system), and see the big improvement! Enjoy.... ((Threads here have led us to a few Great Improvements...Thanks!))
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very basic, inexpensive but important would be tire pressures as a starting point to check.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Ok, I've done my research & read the threads here about motorhome roll & sway. If my 2006 F3 chassis has the front trac bar & front & rear sway bars as I've seen posts say it has, why does our coach roll & sway so on curvy, hilly roads?

Lori-
My F53 is older then yours, so I suspect the design was more ill handling then the newer F53's. It felt unsafe even on flat roads with no wind
The things that made a major difference in handling were the rear poly sway bar bushings, adding rear air bags, and new front shocks.

When we drove to Graham WA last season I accidentally took a small curvy by-road for 60 miles. I could not believe how well the old girl handled. No lean, no sway, felt like I was driving a giant sports car compared to how it used to be.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Very basic, inexpensive but important would be tire pressures as a starting point to check.
Thanks, John.

The anti-sway bar runs a close third behind tires and shocks, IMHO.

I replaced the bushings and then (at Spartan's suggestion) lubed all bushings, upper and lower, with synthetic grease.

Then, I pulled the clamping bolts that hold the bar to the axle, replaced them (worn and bent). Last, I flipped the steel shackles, buffed to a shine from chaffing (so the original sfc was against the axle, once again).

After driving several dozen miles, I crawled back under (with jacks down, jackstands in place for three layers of safety) and used a breaker bar to re-torque those big bolts that clamp onto the axle. Sure 'nough, they'd all loosened a bit, as the installation had settled in. Now, the rig feels solid, perfect!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote