RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I should also note that prior to the coil and plug change, the air and fuel filters were changed, oil and filter too, tranny oil and filter too.

I have burned a few tanks of fuel, however was never really able to get a good economy reading as I lost o2 sensor on the ride home with it lol. Got it fixed in the mechanical, then it started to run like crap shortly after again.

When I bought it, the fuel light was on, VERY little gas in the tank. I dont know how long it sat for, but I picked it up at a dealership. I have put about $2k worth of gas through it. Some of it 91 octane because it was for sale at the same price as regular cuz the gas station ran out.

There is now 90073 miles on it. I took it for a 40 mile round trip after plugs were changed. I can tell for sure its got a bunch more power. Accelerates faster, with less rev and noise. Shudder is gone entirely.

Didnt go far enough to try to estimate mileage.

superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I have a 2v v10 (4spd) in my 34ft motorhome. . . We used it over the winter and discovered after a while the engine was not performing nicely. Since it was new to us, we were still trying to evaluate our mpg. We ended up setlling on a number of about 4.68mpg.

Ended up having what seems like a blown coil, followed by an intermittent second, which caused some weird power and shuddering issues. All 10 coils and plugs were changed and the engine seems to run much smoother.

Will this result in better fuel economy?
You should get around 7 mpg if the engine is in proper order. (6-8 average mpg)

Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good job superk, I'm sure it will begin to settle down and get you the fuel mileage that they can get. Even the older engine was still a great design. Like I said we had one back in 1999 and it ran well. At least until a rodent ate through some some injector wires.
Do let the forum know how it turns out after you get another 10 or so thousand miles on it.

TeJay
Old 04-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
First of all you didn't tell the number of miles on the engine. That would be helpful. When you bought it how long had it been setting?? Had the fuel in the tank been setting for a long period of time?? If that's the case the fuel was probably not good. It will burn but it's still not good. That may have contributed to injector and plug issues.

We had a 34' V-10 back in 1999 and we averaged 7.5-8.5 MPG.
if the engine is running rough you already did what I'd do. Yes it will make a difference in the fuel mileage. If you have 10 horses pulling something if two get broken legs you've lost HP.

I'll assume that the air filter has been changed but if not then that's next. The engine has to breath in the air to work well. If it's still not running smoothly then they need to check to see if all the cylinders are working properly. Just because they changed the plugs and coils does not mean that they are all working or working correctly. That kind of assumption will always get you into trouble.

A good diagnostic shop needs to look at it to assure that you are getting the correct performance from the engine. These computer controlled vehicles are not as easy as engines used to be. There are several sensors: TPS, MAP, VSS, ECT, O2 sensors, etc, etc designed to input information into the engines computer so it can make accurate adjustments to the fuel delivery. These sensors when not functioning properly will not allow things to work as designed.

Back to the fuel injectors. Stale fuel, some malfunctioning plugs and coils and probably dirty injectors all contribute to poor running engine. A good diagnostic shop would not have changed your plugs until the injectors were cleaned. So I'm a little suspect of that shop. The injectors need to be evaluated then perhaps cleaned but like I said the plugs have been changed so. Most parts houses carry a product called "Sea Foam." It's designed to clean injectors. Read the back of the can and you can put it in.

When injectors are cleaned a lot of dirt may come through those injectors so it might effect those new plugs. That's why I said I was suspect of the shop. That decision is up to you. There are other methods of cleaning the injectors but it takes special equipment. If you find a good shop they will advise you on that procedure.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

TeJay
TeJay said it all!
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #19

Just did a 300 mile loop from San Antonio to Corpus. Subtracted .75 gph for both house ac's running on the genny over the 6 hours and I get 6.02 mpg. It uses just shy of 1/2 tank going there and just over a 1/4 on the return trip. Wind I guess. The scan tool showed I was usually running around 75% power to and around 60% coming home.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10