RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #15

Ford Crate Engines for me is the best choice but if they are not readily available I have used JASPER for rebuilt Engines and Transmissions.

I do think you should have no problem if you upgraded from the 2 valve to the later 3 valve engine. I have been involved in a project just like yours and they made it work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysidetas View Post
What is the difference between a Ford crate engine and a re-manufactured engine? It looks as if we going to have to go down the re-manufactured route.

Now its a matter of choosing a reliable supplier, preferably in a coastal state.
During the current model year the Ford engine will be a new one however the Ford OEM site seems to indicate that the 2005 V10 crate engine for the F53 is now only available as a remanufactured engine at a list price of $4,373.33 with the note to select your dealer for price and availability. Here they come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty which covers labor only if you don't install it yourself.

See:
Buy 2005 Ford F53 Parts | FordParts.com

A new 2015 engine is $9,133.60:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...Ford&model=F53

Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

In case it wasn't clear, a "crate" engine is called such because it's brand new, in a crate, from Ford. Not rebuilt or re-manufactured using used parts.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with a good remanufactured engine. Many argue that a good block becomes "seasoned" and is actually stronger the second time around. In the US, I've had no issues with engines rebuilt by Jasper, a very well known company. If you can get Jasper to ship you an engine and it's cheaper than a crate motor, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if your choice is between a local shop rebuilding your engine that doesn't inspire confidence in you...go with the crate motor. I would think with any luck it would be the last engine you'd need for your motorhome.

Steve
Old 12-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
In case it wasn't clear, a "crate" engine is called such because it's brand new, in a crate, from Ford. Not rebuilt or re-manufactured using used parts.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with a good remanufactured engine. Many argue that a good block becomes "seasoned" and is actually stronger the second time around. In the US, I've had no issues with engines rebuilt by Jasper, a very well known company. If you can get Jasper to ship you an engine and it's cheaper than a crate motor, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if your choice is between a local shop rebuilding your engine that doesn't inspire confidence in you...go with the crate motor. I would think with any luck it would be the last engine you'd need for your motorhome.

Steve
Fords web site clearly says the crate engines for the 2005 model year are now all remanufactured units which sell for roughly half the cost of the new ones. The links for the new 2005 engines all say:

"6.8L Gas EFI V10 ; Complete Engine Assemblies May Only Be Available During Current Production Model Year; Replaced by remanufacture"

and show the rebuilt price.

If you click on these you will get a link to the supersession at the bottom of the screen which is the remanufactured engine. Still its a Ford certified remanufacture which gives it a certain value over many of the others. Could some dealers have new 2005 crate engines sitting in stock? Maybe but Ford itself does not appear to according to their web site.

See:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...Ford&model=F53
Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford crate engines are only available for recent engines and it seems that they do not have any 2004 6.8L V10s.

That means I need to source a re-manufactured engine however Ford re-manufactured engines are apparently only available from a Ford Dealer and most of them will not supply to overseas purchasers. They say to contact a dealer who deals with overseas buyers but so far I have not been able to locate any.

Can anyone on the forum suggest who I may contact?
baysidetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #20

They still put 6.8 V10 2 valves into Econolines. Might be worth a little research to see if one of those motors could be used.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first choice would be a Ford re-manufactured engine, but if that's not possible a Jasper engine would be second choice. They show an international sales agent, could email him and ask if they will ship to Australia.
Contact Jasper Engines and Transmissions
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysidetas View Post

Can some one tell me if the introduction of the 5 speed automatic coincided with the introduction of the 3 valve engine and if it also included a new EMS (computer) or just a re-programming of the 2 valve one.

Thanks for all contributions so far please keep them coming.

Barrie
Simple answer...yes. 5 speed transmission and 3 valve happened in the same year. There was no change between 2004 & 2005, 3 valve and 5 speed introduced in 2006. Not sure if it was a completely new EMS, but I would imagine so.
For your purposes I would stick to the 2 valve version.

Good luck!
Bill
Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I don't think anyone should reply to your post until you spill your guts on some particulars like why, how many miles, indications, etc. etc.....
How rude!
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's get back on topic and discuss it and not each other. If you think a post is out of line and in violation of our rules , please use the report function and we'll look into it.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
How rude!
Thank you.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #26

I would rule out trying to get a replacement engine from Ford.

Since you say block is damaged I guess rebuilding old engine is out. A replacement is in order. Don't forget you will have to deal with a core charge, probably cheaper than shipping the old engine back anyhow.

Forget the 3 valve unless you want to get the transmission, ECM and harness. It would be more money and way more work and not worth it in my opinion. Nothing cheaper than replacing like with like. Little things will inevitably crop up in the swap like pulleys, mounts, etc. that don't fit because FoMoCo loves to change parts every model year.

I have used engines from Engines Direct, an eBay seller. They were priced right and all are running well today. I have heard good things about Jasper Engines, give them a phone call.

Beware of some cheap rebuild that use China and India parts, no good.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #27

If you ever have to replace motor or transmission I think you would always be money ahead to replace with dealer or jasper I would lean toward jasper think it would be cheaper same quality maybe better warranty a small shop could do either and have nation wide warranty they could put in a rebuilt and when you call to tell them you are 1500 miles away and have a rod sticking out the pan they will tell you to bring it in and they will take care of it dealer or jasper you will have a 800 number to call and get someone close to take care of it jasper is very good toe garages that do warranty work
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was stationed outside the US and my American made vehicles (that had no dealership/factory support) needed parts, I paid for an exporter to obtain and freight forward parts. I would expect someone in the LA area does this for Australia and the south Pacific island nations.
I had a very reliable shop that did the work locally, but any warranty was basically void, being unsupported.

There might even be a realtionship between a LA exporter and a local LA area auto dismantler...dismantler's sometimes sell used/running parts. The 2valve V10 is in thousands of F and E-series trucks and vans...worth the research to save some money(?).

The description of the damage to the OP's block sounds like a write-off. Anything man made can be fixed, but will it be as good as a certified remanufactured block?

There is no reason to get a new FOMOCO crate engine. A reman is usually just as good for a repair. New "Crate engines" (not a reman in a crate) are often used when doing a change in type/size engine.

If used/running is not possible, I would shop for a reman of the same size/age and write the check.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, v10