RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

My CHF experience

I have a THOR ACE on a Ford F53 chassis. I did the CHF on the front but not the back. I also have a rear trac bar, sumo springs and a Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer. I would say that the biggest change occurred after adding the trac bar (Ultra RV Products UTF53V8R Rear Ultratrac Trac Bar) the sway due to wind and passing trucks was dramatically reduced to almost nothing. However, I was experiencing a very rough ride from the front end. Really rough. Going over bumps and bad roads the front end would "bang" hard and the whole coach would shake. Pretty noisy and uncomfortable. I had the chassis serviced recently and had them redo the CHF to the factory position. The ride is 100% smoother and I am not experiencing any additional untoward sway. Does this make any sense to those who know this chassis better than me? Just thought I would post my experience with the CHF.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What have you or they done with the tire pressures?? Where are they now? With a unit of your size I'd think pressures of around 82 to 84 would be about correct.

What else did they do as part of a "Chassis service?"

Some will report that the CHF increases the rides harshness. When that is said do they think the the SWAY bar only works when one side is dealing with a change in the road a bump or dip. If you hit a bump or elevated area across both wheels at the same time the torsion aspect of the anti-sway or stabilizer bar (SB) is not doing anything.

If both sides move up how can that possibly change the ride or make is harsher?? My guess is the tire pressures have been adjusted or changed.

A track bar or (TB) is designed to reduce or limit lateral movement. It does nothing else. Basically the frame and chassis are more closely tied together which reduces and side to side movement.

Sumo springs will add more resistance to spring compression and that helps with sway as well.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Without lengthening the rods that go to the frame, you lose about 3" of travel on the front end.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
A track bar or (TB) is designed to reduce or limit lateral movement. It does nothing else. Basically the frame and chassis are more closely tied together which reduces and side to side movement.
Not true it can also change roll center which can increase or decrease body roll depending on whether it raises or lowers roll-center.

Most F53 rear trackbars raise roll center which will reduce sway, in this example the track bar lowers the roll center increasing sway:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROLL_CENTER1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	257930
jharrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Without lengthening the rods that go to the frame, you lose about 3" of travel on the front end.
Nonsense, where did you get this number? No upward travel is lost at all, which is the primary travel thats important for bumps, downward travel can be limited by the sway bar contacting the leaf. With the CHF I have 3 1/2" upward travel to the bump stop and 3 1/2" downward until the sway bar contacts the the leaf. I don't think the downward travel limit is ever hit during normal driving conditions as the contact point is painted and there are no impact marks on it. The only time its hit is when jacking the front tires off the ground on an unlevel spot.

This post prompted actually go measure how much downward travel is lost with the CHF, which I have wanted to do for some time. So I just went out and disconnected the sway bar and re-measured downward travel with front tires off the ground, and the difference is 1/2", so 4" vs 3 1/2" downward travel, the shocks limit travel beyond 4" down.

1/2" downward travel will make absolutely no difference in ride quality, to do so would mean on a regular basis you are somehow dropping the axle 3 1/2" down causing contact.

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	257935

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	257936

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	257937

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	257938
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #6

Your last picture shows it, the sway bar is limiting the suspension going down. You lose about 3" of travel, I never said up or down, total travel. That's why I bought the Adjustable's when I did mine.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Your last picture shows it, the sway bar is limiting the suspension going down. You lose about 3" of travel, I never said up or down, total travel. That's why I bought the Adjustable's when I did mine.
Again my picture shows a loss 1/2" of downward travel thats it, where are you getting 3" from???

Just because your links are 3" longer doesn't mean your shocks are or springs.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

You're right, I didn't measure it. My front tires would lift off the ground over bumps with the short links. I didn't like the front end hanging off the sway bar. This is a picture of mine with the front wheels off the ground. I had to put 2 1/2" of space under my jacks to get my tires up that far.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks like your links may be hitting the Z bar.. The front axle should hang from the shocks, not the torsion bar links.,

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #10

No way am I knocking TJ's CHF.

More than one person has said, " their suspension was stiffer with the CHF." No one should doubt their impressions. We both have F53's, there are so many different suspensions besides ours.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

I can put a feeler gauge between it.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
You're right, I didn't measure it. My front tires would lift off the ground over bumps with the short links. I didn't like the front end hanging off the sway bar. This is a picture of mine with the front wheels off the ground. I had to put 2 1/2" of space under my jacks to get my tires up that far.
Looks like less travel than mine, too bad you didn't put a tape measure between frame and leaf.