Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Need information!!!

On my trip home yesterday all of a sudden when I turn on either signal light they will stop working when I hit the brakes. Also when I hit brakes the radio stops playing but does not turn all the way off. Where should I start looking. 2012 F53

Thanks
Gary
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Sounds like a shorted wire at the trailer harness socket, filaments shorted together in a tail light bulb, or tail light socket. We had the same problem (directionals stop working when brake pedal depressed) on our 2001 Adventurer. In our case it turned out that water had gotten into the rear side (front facing) of the trailer socket and shorted the brake and signal wires together.

As for the radio not working correctly it could be related. In our case the backup camera was powered from the same circuit as the brakes and turn signals. When I would step on the brakes not only would the turn signals stop working, but the backup monitor would come on.

The brake and turn signals use the same filament in the bulb. The only difference is when activating a turn signal the flasher in the circuit interrupts the current to create the flashing. If either one of the bulbs or the circuit in the socket are shorted together neither of the signals will operate when the brake pedal is depressed.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #3

Definitely sounds like a short.
That being said, just yesterday I had to replace the battery in our Hyundai Santa Fe that coincidentally (not) died less than two months after its warranty expired. All kinds of weird electrical stuff was occurring, including the starter attempting to engage while there was no one in the vehicle and the keys were inside the house!

The computer system is apparently finicky with voltage. As soon as I installed the new battery everything went back to normal.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a possible longshot on the radio problem.

on the delivery trucks i use at my part time job.
They are all late model F-250s & F-350s
The Radio will Mute its self 90% When you put the trucks in Reverse AND the back up sensors get triggered.
Since we Always leave a WDH head in the receivers on these trucks The reverse sensors always get go off.

Maybe the F53 wiring has a circuit for the back up sensor and it has a loose connection,......somewhere.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary,
Before you rip everything apart next evening go out and check all the exterior lights on the motorhome.
Marker lights
Turn signals
Driving light
Stop lights

If one of the bulbs is burnt out it may have a possible it may allow the circuit flow to ground but not enough resistance to blow a fuse.
This also happens when your right and left cameras go wacky.
Usually it is a bad turn signal bulb.
If all the bulbs work as they should then start ripping the rig apart. lol
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OR IF ONE IS FULL OF WATER, IT might explain all; (otherwise, look for a bad GROUND);
Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #7

Any wires hanging down under the dash? Had any mice?
I had a bulb break a filament and cross over to the other filament and caused problems.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #8

My first thought is water as well. I'd start with the easy stuff like checking light function and pulling lens covers and bulbs.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote