Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #1

Need to lower rear end 2" to clear barn - Air Bags?

Have a 2018 HR gasser on an Ford F53 chassis and due to the rake the rear AC will not clear the door opening by 2" ( front AC is OK). Some have suggested using air bags on the rear but I don't see how that changes much with leafs? Will it?
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #2

Air bags might rais the rear but I don't see how they could lower it.

The only solutions I see are let air out of the tires, dig a trench for the rear wheel to drop into or raise the barn roof. I suppose you could 30-40 friends to stand in the bedroom while you drive into the barn.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
TX,

Air bags provide lift not lowering capabilities.

If it were me I'd pull the AC cover off and see if all the head room given for the AC unit is absolutely necessary? Maybe it could be lowered the necessary amount so you could use your garage?

I understand the head room may be needed for cooling the compressor when you are parked. What about altering/lowering the cover. Then add a small 12-V or even 120 VAC PC cooling fan to be used when you are parked as added cooling air flow.

Maybe after lowering the cover just adding some vent holes on the sides would allow heat to escape enough to keep the temps down. If you added larger holes on the sides then cover those holes with a piece of 1/8" plexiglass or Lexan and use some 1" stand offs so the heat could escape but still keep out rain would work. If you had larger holes on the sides covered with the raised plexiglass keeping the rain out you wouldn't even need a fan.

If there's a flat lip on the cover used to secure it to the roof just cut it off. Then to secure the cover add some brackets to the roof and screw into tose for attaching.

I have to believe that not always does a lot of thought go into building some of these things. Yes they want things covered because of rain and snow. Maybe a complete cover isn't absolutely necessary.

Look underneath the cover to determine where water might run or drip in and do some damage or shorting of wires. Maybe vent holes could be drilled away from those areas and work when parked?

Loosen the lid then turn the AC on at home and check the operating temps (infrared temp gauge) after a few hours. Maybe it's no all that bad.

There's always more than one way to fix stuff.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Air bags, as in "helper bags" would indeed not help. They are designed to prevent squatting of the rear for those who insist on putting too much weight in the back or on the hitch.

There IS the option to replace the entire rear suspension with an air suspension and then yes, you could dump the suspension and gain a few inches. (This is what I do on my DP) but we're talking custom and you are talking $$$. Go see your local truck suspension/drivetrain shop.

So the above suggestions are correct:

Indeed take the cover off the AC and see if you gain any..... also, do you have a low profile AC? Some models are several inches higher than others.

Lower the tail or raise the barn.

Lower the tail by letting air out, or adding weight. A plastic drum with 55 gallons of water weighs 450 pounds.....lol

Let air out AND dig a trench.

One more idea.... can't see from here what your coach looks like, but if the AC is behind the axle, and the more the better, you will lower it if you bring up the front. Use a ramp made of 2 by's. Depending in the geometry this MAY get you enough. A side view picture would help...
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

If you raise the front with airbags would that lower the rear enough to clear the ac? On my coach it would not because my rear ac is over the rear wheels. What are member thoughts on lowering rear tire air pressure to provide clearance? Aircraft hangers sometimes have a dog house in the top center of the door frame. This dog house raises up to provide clearance for the tail. Could you modify your entry in this manner? That's all I can think of at the moment.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

An easy thing to try is fill your freshwater tank to max. The added weight might make the difference.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace the rear AC with a low profile version?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Air bags might rais the rear but I don't see how they could lower it.

The only solutions I see are let air out of the tires, dig a trench for the rear wheel to drop into or raise the barn roof. I suppose you could 30-40 friends to stand in the bedroom while you drive into the barn.
Strap the chassis down to the rear axle

Seriously, would it be feasible, as hohenwald48 suggested, to lower the roadbed enough without creating new problems?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #9

Thanks All. I think a swap to a low profile ac is the best solution. Going to take some measurements today..
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
Thanks All. I think a swap to a low profile ac is the best solution. Going to take some measurements today..
Don't forget the ladder. There is the possibility that it might be modified to lower the rails at the roof line but once you bend it up on the door frame it's toast.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple ideas for temporarily lowering the back end to get it in the barb:

1) If you have air bags, deflate them.

2) Lower the air pressure in the rear tires, i.e. 40 psi

3) put weight on the rear hitch receiver, Maybe use a 5 ft long pipe and place weight on the end of it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
A couple ideas for temporarily lowering the back end to get it in the barb:

1) If you have air bags, deflate them.

2) Lower the air pressure in the rear tires, i.e. 40 psi

3) put weight on the rear hitch receiver, Maybe use a 5 ft long pipe and place weight on the end of it.
I bet that a combination of 2 and 3 would do it, especially with full tanks and removing the A/C shroud. Number 3 is creative, you could get one of those Harbor freight cargo carriers to hold the load.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know about other folks but driving into and out of my storage facility does not need to be more complicated by adding weights and removing air from my tires. I'd want a more seamless and reasonable idea.

This is all about choices and no answer is wrong just some are a lot more complicated and expensive than others.

Still don't know if the OP took the cover off to determine if he can lower it the required amount. I'd also not believe R&R'ing a perfectly good AC unit for a lower profile unit makes any sense until some other ideas are at least explored. A new AC unit can't be cheap but it's his $$$$$ not mine.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #14

I weight on the high side of 250lbs and if I stand on my hitch, the E 450 rear springs don't drop 1". My F150 pickup, maybe.

The F53 has much heavier rear springs, so your going to need an increadable amount of weight to drop it 2". By then, the 500 lb hitch is being overstressed.

Once loaded, do you just leave that weight hanging there ? Of do you do this eveytime you move it in or out.

Flattening and reinflating the tires have there own issues.

Hey, maybe get some low rider tires or hydraulics installed. In kidding.

Changing the AC unit or changing the building are the only real options.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air