Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

New 2020 Ford F-53 chassis and headlights

Very interesting thread posted by Dutch Star Don regarding trying to improve headlight beams actually seeing further down the road and that just putting in a LED lights will not do that since the lens of the halogen headlight unit needs to be changed as well:

“ LED and HID bulbs are made to be installed in vehicles with focused lenses. If you look at many new cars with quality headlights, you'll see what looks like a "fisheye" lens. Theses lenses are design to take the power of the LED and HID and focus it into a beam far down the road.

When you add the LED and HID to a lens designed for a halogen bulb, all you are doing is "scattering" the light in front of the coach. It will look great until you start driving about 55mph - 65mph, when you'll discover that they did not produce the long range lighting that you were looking for and you're "overdriving" your headlights.”

He then talks about the diesel chassis and the potential hope to change out the halogen unit lens plate and replace it with the fisheye one for an LED light:

“There is a fix, or at least some help for the Dutch Star. I know the 2019 and I'm sure the 2020's are using Dodge Challenger headlights (08-13). You can buy new Challenger lenses that have the fisheye lens”

My question is is there a similar potential fix for the new 2020 F-53 chassis coming out in January 2020 and if so what part number would that be? Am thinking of bring them to a FPU and have them installed by Newmar as I have read on here that the halogen headlights in a class A RVs are just terrible across the board for seeing down the road. Any suggestions to improve that? Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 04:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
,,, My question is is there a similar potential fix for the new 2020 F-53 chassis coming out in January 2020 and if so what part number would that be? ,,,
No fix coming from Ford as they have never supplied the headlight assembly with the chassis. Any fix would be based on what headlight assembly the house builder used for a particular coach model and if an aftermarket replacement is available. For example my coach has repurposed Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights and replacements with the different lens are readily available.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
tvp

Well I hope they come up with a retro fit lens and LED bulb soon , the lighting in the 2016 model Canyon Star is just terrible, ....Two Candles would be brighter ......guess there is no standard requirement to meet from Department of Transport [emoji15]
Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Well I hope they come up with a retro fit lens and LED bulb soon , the lighting in the 2016 model Canyon Star is just terrible, ....Two Candles would be brighter ......guess there is no standard requirement to meet from Department of Transport [emoji15]
Replacement headlights are available but you need to do the legwork and cross referance what was used by the coach builder (which did meet DOT requirements in the original application) and research the what you want to replace it with.

Took me all of 2 minutes to find out what Newmar used for a 2016 Canyon Star and to the cross referance to HID or LED replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upclose.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	264485   Click image for larger version

Name:	a9237fd270034e159860bccd0edd7cd6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	264486  

Old 10-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Replacement headlights are available but you need to do the legwork and cross referance what was used by the coach builder (which did meet DOT requirements in the original application) and research the what you want to replace it with.

Took me all of 2 minutes to find out what Newmar used for a 2016 Canyon Star and to the cross referance to HID or LED replacements.
Umm..could you take another 2 minutes and find out what Newmar is using in their 2020 Bay Star models?

Daniel
Old 10-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
tvp

What is the Led replacement lenses and bulb for a 2016 Canyon Star?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

2016 Canyon Star uses 2008-2011 Dodge or Ram Dakota headlights. They are plentiful and moderately pricey, but I have not found any “projector” or LED type assemblies for that application. Dont think those trucks are real popular with the vehicle mod crowd.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
tvp

Figures [emoji15]
Old 10-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #9

Yeah, I was hoping they would cross to something more popular or “cooler” with at least some customization options. But not to be, I guess. I would love to find some like our 2017 Grand Cherokee with really bright white headlamps and neat LED lights around the housing perimeter.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
tvp

Based on another thread , Newmar glues the headlights in with epoxy, mite be hard to remove ?
Hope not true
Old 10-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Umm..could you take another 2 minutes and find out what Newmar is using in their 2020 Bay Star models?
If I did that you would never learn how to do it for yourself.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
If I did that you would never learn how to do it for yourself.
lol...ok...perhaps "how" you would go about "searching" for the answer would be helpful.

Although it seems if Newmar glues the assembly like someone mentioned above along with not making a compatible unit like for the CS it may ultimately prove to be an exercise in futility

Or, perhaps after all the complaints and safety issues raised here and in other forums the new 2021 models will finally address the issue of the poor headlight visibility?

Daniel
Old 10-26-2019, 03:06 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
lol...ok...perhaps "how" you would go about "searching" for the answer would be helpful.

Although it seems if Newmar glues the assembly like someone mentioned above along with not making a compatible unit like for the CS it may ultimately prove to be an exercise in futility

Or, perhaps after all the complaints and safety issues raised here and in other forums the new 2021 models will finally address the issue of the poor headlight visibility?
1. Call Newmar and ask for the DOT number off the headlights.
2. Go to an RV show that has a dealer with a Newmar model you are looking at and record the DOT number off the headlights.
3. Post the question in the Newmar forum where you will get better exposure.
4. Compare prior model years then search using in those model for forum threads regarding headlights. For example -

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2018...de-412421.html.

Looks like Newmar is using the same assembly, which is from a 2011-2014 or so Dodge Charger, since 2018 model year. There are hundreds of aftermarket kits to replace the assembly with a projector type for the Charger.

If the headlights are glued in how are they adjusted for proper aim or replaced when the yellow or if damaged? They might be sealed along the edge which should be easy to cut out but permanently glued in very unlikely.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
1. Call Newmar and ask for the DOT number off the headlights.
2. Go to an RV show that has a dealer with a Newmar model you are looking at and record the DOT number off the headlights.
3. Post the question in the Newmar forum where you will get better exposure.
4. Compare prior model years then search using in those model for forum threads regarding headlights. For example -

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2018...de-412421.html.

Looks like Newmar is using the same assembly, which is from a 2011-2014 or so Dodge Charger, since 2018 model year. There are hundreds of aftermarket kits to replace the assembly with a projector type for the Charger.

If the headlights are glued in how are they adjusted for proper aim or replaced when the yellow or if damaged? They might be sealed along the edge which should be easy to cut out but permanently glued in very unlikely.
Thanks for that and the great ideas to begin the process

I plan on ordering the 2021 Bay Star model 3401 in April 2020 and hopefully Newmar has been paying attention to the issue which is an important one

I agree that it doesn't make sense to have the headlights glued in and was basing that on what someone else said above. I will be doing a factory pick-up and will have Newmar do the install with the better headlights. You have to bring your own parts though for them to do that which is why I was originally asking for the part number. Perhaps it is not that difficult to do on your own instead of at the factory pick-up.

Daniel

Tags
chassis, ford, headlight, light, lights