Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
No and No.

Second question first - No, Its doesn't come from the factory as a nice stable vehicle.

HOWEVER - There is an adjustment that can be made that sends us back to question 1.

No - IMHO - You shouldn't need to spend money on aftermarket suspension components.

The F53 comes with factory sway bars front and rear, these have an adjustment that can be made that will substantially improve the sway. I strongly recommend performing this adjustment, re-evaluate the handling, then decide if you want to spend money.

Search the F53 forum, you'll find a thread thats about 10 zillion pages long that talks all about the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix).

I would recommend extending the links by three inches to get improved link to sway bar geometry.

IMPORTANT - The newer F53 chassis (2005ish and up) have a nasty habit of the rear sway bar to axle bolts falling out. When you do the CHF, remove the bolts, lube the bushings with silicon paste (just a tiny bit) then reinstall the bolts using blue locktite and torque to 65 ft lbs.

F53 is a good chassis. One aftermarket that should be considered is the 5-start tune. This makes changes to the engine, but more importantly the shifting strategy of the transmission, i.e. rpm vs speed vs throttle position vs gear . Much improvement.
If you are buying a 2016 or newer w/6 speed transmission...... Forget about the 5 Star. It's not working with the new 3V engine with the 6 speed. AND I can't get them to respond to my request to fix it. As far as the handling stuff, do the CHF (if you can, $0 cost if you do it). And by all means check the steering box play. Mine was way out and after it was tightened up, it made a even bigger/better change to the handling. Most here have already mentioned some of the things that work well. Your pocketbook with dictate what you can do.
For my 2017 Thor 29.3 on a 22K chassis, the CHF, steering box adjustment, correct tire pressure, Air Tabs on the trailing edge and a Safe-T steering stabilizer was all it took to make our class A not be pushed onto the rubble strips.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
No and No.

Second question first - No, Its doesn't come from the factory as a nice stable vehicle.

HOWEVER - There is an adjustment that can be made that sends us back to question 1.

No - IMHO - You shouldn't need to spend money on aftermarket suspension components.

The F53 comes with factory sway bars front and rear, these have an adjustment that can be made that will substantially improve the sway. I strongly recommend performing this adjustment, re-evaluate the handling, then decide if you want to spend money.

Search the F53 forum, you'll find a thread thats about 10 zillion pages long that talks all about the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix).

I would recommend extending the links by three inches to get improved link to sway bar geometry.

IMPORTANT - The newer F53 chassis (2005ish and up) have a nasty habit of the rear sway bar to axle bolts falling out. When you do the CHF, remove the bolts, lube the bushings with silicon paste (just a tiny bit) then reinstall the bolts using blue locktite and torque to 65 ft lbs.

F53 is a good chassis. One aftermarket that should be considered is the 5-start tune. This makes changes to the engine, but more importantly the shifting strategy of the transmission, i.e. rpm vs speed vs throttle position vs gear . Much improvement.

Since your new motor home will come with a six speed transmission you might be better served sticking to the chassis fixes first. You may may like the six speed shifts. CHF first, konis FSD's, rear trac bar(great mod), possibly a rear add on sway bar, and a steering center device(many to choose from). Three grand will do all those mods if you install.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
If you are buying a 2016 or newer w/6 speed transmission...... Forget about the 5 Star. It's not working with the new 3V engine with the 6 speed....
I'm the first person to roll my eyes whenever someone responds to a "This isn't working!" post with a, "It works fine for me." response - but in this instance I have to wonder if your tune loaded correctly. Every car in my driveway is tuned, and it has always been that way. So I feel confident in knowing whether a tuning product had an effect or not - and my 5-Star tune made a very dramatic and noticeable difference. I literally would have set my coach on fire by now if it hadn't.

The power difference and downshift characteristics are 7/10 now vs. the 2/10 I experienced prior. I hope they can sort this out for you because it really does make driving the coach a new experience. Too bad the handling can't be fixed that easy.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
I had the Bilstien shocks replaced at 6000 miles with the Koni FSD's. It made a 100% difference in handling and ride. The Bilstiens are nothing more than a OEM shock with blue and yellow paint.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I think you need to drive your MH first. My '17 Winnebago will never be mistaken for a sports car or even a pickup truck, but it drives as well as I need it too.
X2...

I wouldn't do a thing until I had some miles under my belt.

You will know soon enough after some trips what you will need. Then if you have a specific problem - - you can see there are plenty of answers here.

Good luck....

g
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #20

When I purchased our 2016 F53 I had the dealership install a Safe-T-Steer, plus a Roadmaster track bar, and rear sway bar.

My rig drives great, much better than my 2005 F53.

Given a choice between the five speed transmissions or the six speed I would take the six speed. The five speed will allow the engine to rev up to 5,300 RPM's. The six speed shifts at 4,300 RPM's which makes the cabin quieter.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
X2...

I wouldn't do a thing until I had some miles under my belt.

You will know soon enough after some trips what you will need. Then if you have a specific problem - - you can see there are plenty of answers here.

Good luck....

g
Agreed. Nothing until you have driven it and determined what needs fixing. This can be quite varied based on the actual chassis and driver and conditions.
All I needed was the CHF front and rear and a Roadmaster RSSA.
Def check the torque on the rear sway bar bushings. One of mine was gone but Ford replaced it under warranty and as requested put blue loc tite on it.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
What is the average CCC of the 20k/22k f-53 chassis
I know the 24k/26k chassis is about 5000lbs CCC which is great
Any other comments on V-10 and chassis I should be aware of like 5 Speed trans.vs 6 Speed ...... I had the Allison 1000 trans with the workhorse chassis

Love your input ��✅
Tvp
The 24/26K chassis is superior to the smaller rated units. Only thing I did to mine was add a Safe-T-Plus device to the steering for help in a front tire loss. The only difference in the 24/26 is the rear spring rating.
The ratings have been the same since 2008 2017 Ford® Stripped Chassis | Commercial Trucks Built Ford Tough® | Ford.com
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #23

I learn something new every time I read one of these threads... Interesting info! Great suggestions...

My 2 cents...

The V10 is a good engine... not as powerful as the 8.1 that you had but it's very reliable and it gets the job done... I'm not a Ford fan at all... but I have been impressed by the V10... it blows my mind that it is only 415 cubic inches! It's a tough little booger! I like the way they sound too...

The Ford transmission is not a Allison but they are good transmissions...

You have owned a leaf spring chassis before so you already know what it's like... I have never had a workhorse but the F53 can be fine tuned and corrected if need be with a little time and patience.

We have a 1999 F53 20,500lb chassis... air bags made a world of difference on ours... they're relatively inexpensive for the results and worth every penny in my book... just takes some experimenting with the pressures to get the desired results...
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #24

Boondockin

What air model air bags did you add front or rear.
I have 99 34' with one slide and like how it handles but the front rides pretty hard when those NY roads but I like the way it handles and flat tow my 2012 Fit and still like the way it handles even towing except yes slow climbing hills.
I did own 94 pace arrow on a chevy p30 and like the ford better so far,I drove big diesels for a living so no big deal.
I only use our MH for 3 months in summer to go up to NY due my mom 93 now we have not really traveling much the last few years and so the price was right and we really like it and will keep it for a very long time and do all my own work.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford