Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

5 Star Tuner vs. Ford warranty

Hi I am a new member. wanted to say hello and ask a question. Im not very good at navigating around forums. so if you would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank You!
Question-i am buying a 5 star tuner for my 2015 Minnie Winnie with a 6.8 ford engine> Has anyone had any warranty issues with Ford motor company related to the use of this tuner?
Thanks again Jack Kepler
Jack kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My understanding is that use of any tuner immediately voids the warranty.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jack! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with the question.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jack

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Anytime you start making unauthorized modifications to anything you'll generally void the warranty.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

Warranties are usually voided even though that's against Federal law (Moss-Magnuson Act)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #6

Hi Jack

Like others have said, I think it would void the warranty.
Good luck

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Give 5-STAR a shout and ask them how many law suits have been filed based on any issues with the F-53 TUNE.

They will, based on some requests, sell you a type of warranty that covers you if anything happens to your engine due to the TUNE.

As stated it may void the warranty. What if you never have to use the engine warranty??? Then you've driven 50,000 (4-8 years of driving) miles without the TUNE (improved shifting and more HP).

I do all the driving and do really enjoy the increased HP and better shifting with the TUNE as opposed to without it. That may not be a concern for you. Maybe your fear of a voided warranty are greater.

Do a search on this forum and see what comes up. I have read most every post regarding the 5-Star TUNE and have read few if any negatives comments. If, in your search you read any post reporting how an engine was ruined and a warranty was denied due to the TUNE please post the source!!

On the other hand better than 90% have reported how pleased they were after they installed the TUNE. That percentage is just a guess. In 2016 Ford introduced the 6-sspeed and some who bought the TUNE were not impressed. Maybe the new 6-speed helped with the shifting so some didn't notice or feel the need for additional improvement on shifting. They did report improvements in HP.

If something does occur Ford still has the burden of proof that the 5-Star TUNE did in fact cause the engine issue or failure. Or due as many have done. If you have to take it to Ford for something just revert back to the stock TUNE.

I thought of it this way. We have 20,000 + miles using the TUNE. That's a bit more than 400 hours of driving with the TUNE that were much more enjoyable than if we didn't have it. Still have not had to take it in for Ford to do any work on anything relating to the engine so I've never had to remove the TUNE.

Life is about choices!!!! ENJOY!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem is that Ford (or anyone else) can stonewall you on the warranty issue and force you to sue which becomes prohibitively expensive and time consuming. Dodge was noted for doing this and you had to spend about $25,000 and months of having no vehicle to get it resolved. Usually cheaper just to pay and go on your way.
Just because there's a law in place (Moss-Magnusson act) prohibiting it doesn't mean they won't do it, then you have to fight it in court.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

I see that there are 5 models/lengths. What model Minnie do you have?

R U finding it under powered?

BTW...do yourself a favor by putting your MH and Toad information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.
Consider signing up and becoming a IRV2 supporter. It’s a small way to give back to what we all reap here.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack kepler View Post
Question-i am buying a 5 star tuner for my 2015 Minnie Winnie with a 6.8 ford engine> Has anyone had any warranty issues with Ford motor company related to the use of this tuner?
Thanks again Jack Kepler
I believe what you will find is if you have a warranty issue with your Ford chassis, it would have to be proven the 5 Star Tune was the cause of the problem.

We love our 5 Star Tune....

g
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend that I travel with had the Tune in his V10 and broke his crankshaft. The engine was totaled. Before the two truck came he took the 5star out and loaded the stock tune back in the engine. There were 21,000 miles on a 2015 and they gave him a completely new motor with no out of pocket except for an Air Filter he asked them to put in.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
inlineskater,

Thanks much for that information. I do believe in all my forum reading there are less than a handful of posts concerning a failed V-10 engine. This is the first broken crankshaft that I have ever read about.

I know Ford took that engine and had it analyzed to determine the reason for the failure. It sure would be interesting to know the verdict. I'm betting there was a flaw in the casting. In all my years teaching a broken crank was very seldom a failure unless we are talking about race engines and/or teenagers.

Back in the mid 70's I think it was GM that tried to use gas engine block and converted it to a diesel. They took it from an 8:1 compression ratio to a 20:1. They were breaking cranks like wooden match sticks. Some folks still say that, "Engineers seldom make mistakes." LOL!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I put the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 when it had less than 10,000 miles on it. I now have 70,000. If I was to buy a new motor home on a Ford chassis the 5 Star Tune would be the first thing I would add.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most all of life is a gamble. Based on so few claim issues with the TUNE I'd rather take a chance that nothing is going to happen because I installed the 5 STAR TUNE and drive 6 to 10 YEARS and/or 70,000 miles with better shifting and more HP. That's a lot of seat time.

I also don't buy lottery tickets. Yep somebody has to win but look at the odds.

Tags
ford, warranty