Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

No low beams headlights F53 1999

I have no low beams headlights. The high beam are working.

I have tested the big fuse #27 in the engine compartment and it is working and has good voltage. I thing this big fuse supply power probably to the headlamp switch.

Near the power steering there are three fuses for the headlamps.

1 - Fuse number 19 for the "relay" is 5A. The fuse is good and I have good voltage.
2 - Fuses number 25 and 31 are ok (one was blown but I changed it today) but there is no power on those fuses. I started the engine, turned on the lights and no power on those fuses. One fuse is for left and the other for the right headlamp.

Question 1: Is there a relay somewhere for the headlamps? I see none on my manual. But since fuse 19 is for the "headlamp relay", I suppose there is a relay. Is this relay built-in in the headlamp switch?

Question 2: Is it the Headlamp switch that send power to the headlamps fuses 25 and 31?

BTW, I have removed the headlamp switch. No need to remove the front panel on it since it will brake it and you will need to glue it back. I found out there is a pin on the left side of the assembly that we can push. This pin slides three other pins on the bottom and on the top to detach it from the back metal plate. So to remove it, slide your hand behind the dash and push this pin on the left side of the assembly and remove the assembly.

My switch assembly is part number W0133-2108714 or 5365-05059289.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Have you checked the power at the dimmer switch? In the olden days the dimmer switch on the floorboard could fail leaving you with one or the other or none.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a friend who had the same problem. After days of troubleshooting. . .

The low beams on both lamps were burned out . . . Check that FIRST
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I had a friend who had the same problem. After days of troubleshooting. . .

The low beams on both lamps were burned out . . . Check that FIRST
I have checked that with three differents new bulbs and no luck at all. But I have no power on my left and right headlamp fuses so I feel the power can not make it to the connectors anyway.

My fog lights don't work either but I did not troubleshoot them because the manual says the fog lights will work only if the low beams are on. But my low beams get no power.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
Have you checked the power at the dimmer switch? In the olden days the dimmer switch on the floorboard could fail leaving you with one or the other or none.
Never had to work on headlamps so I did not realized this dimmer switch could be a point of failure in my low beams. I have to find how to troubleshoot this dimmer switch.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I have to ask, when you checked the fuse did you remove it from the circuit? Did you do a ohm check on it or did you put the meter across the fuse when it was in the circuit?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK I have to ask, when you checked the fuse did you remove it from the circuit? Did you do a ohm check on it or did you put the meter across the fuse when it was in the circuit?
I put the old ones in the garbage bag and put new ones. I test for voltage on the fuse sockets 25 and 31 after I removed the fuses and there is no voltage (0.2V). I had the engine running with the lights switch on.

I also tested fuses 5 and 10 the same way just to see if I was doing a good testing. 5 and 10 had good voltage ( they are not related to the headlamps, I simply wanted to test).

I buy my fuses on AliExpress.com probably 100 for less than 3 to 7$.

Anybody knows if there is a relay?
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
These three diagrams are for a 2001 chassis, yours should be similar.

Power flow according to the diagrams

1. 30 amp fuse (fuse #27?, battery junction box, under the hood)
  2. headlight switch
  3. turn signal switch (HI / LOW beams)
  4. DRL relay ( under the fuses, on the right (#4) under the hood)
  5. two fuses (fuse #25 and #31 - one for each side, passenger compartment)
  6. low beam bulbs

The DRL relay is under the fuse box, its the forth relay toward the drivers side. #1 is backup lights, #2 is running lights, #3 not used, #4 is DRLs

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08501.pdf

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08502.pdf

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08503.pdf

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like according to the schematics it is either the multi function dimmer switch or the DRL/Headlight Relay. Should be easy to check with a test light and see where you lose power.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
These three diagrams are for a 2001 chassis, yours should be similar.

Power flow according to the diagrams

1. 30 amp fuse (fuse #27?, battery junction box, under the hood)
  2. headlight switch
  3. turn signal switch (HI / LOW beams)
  4. DRL relay ( under the fuses, on the right (#4) under the hood)
  5. two fuses (fuse #25 and #31 - one for each side, passenger compartment)
  6. low beam bulbs

The DRL relay is under the fuse box, its the forth relay toward the drivers side. #1 is backup lights, #2 is running lights, #3 not used, #4 is DRLs

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08501.pdf

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08502.pdf

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08503.pdf

Thank you very much for this information.

Here is a link to the Ford F53 1999 owner manual. On pages 44-45 I have my fuse and relay list. I think it is different from what you list as #1, #2, #3, #4. The DRL relay seems to be on #1 for my 1999.

When I turn my lights switch on, I get what I think is the Daylight Running Lights (DRL) since the two front whites bulbs beside the Low Beams are on. According to the flow you describe it probably mean that my DRL relay is not at fault.

Base on the flow you give it means there are no specific relays for the left and right headlamps. It would have been too easy to just find a broken relay and replace it and be back on road.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Looks like according to the schematics it is either the multi function dimmer switch or the DRL/Headlight Relay. Should be easy to check with a test light and see where you lose power.
Yes it seems to be dimmer swith or multi-fonction switch. I need now to look at those 3 diagrams and find out "how easy it is to trace the problem" on those switchs.

My multi-fonction switch is specific for 1999-2000 F53, F250 and F350 only. I hope my dimmer switch is more a universal Ford part.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep in mind, the info I gave you was for a 2001, it may be slightly different for the 1999.

Here's another project if you have the steering covers off.

http://www.1999southwind.com/repair-...-shift-column/

Look at the small wires that go up into the shift lever for the OD switch and light. Mine were chafed and I couldn't turn the OD on/off.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure if this will help, here are the test procedures for the HI/LO switch. They call it the "Multifunction switch"

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I14903.pdf

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I14904.pdf

Old 07-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #14

Update: I just looked at the three diagrams. I am on a rush since we leave for camping in an hour so I could only look at it for 10 minutes and I would need more time to really have a clear view.

But base on what I understand, the DRL Relay could have a different function than I first thought.

I think the DRL Relay at rest let the power go to the Daylight Running Light. But when we turn the low beams on, the relay is activated and it then send the power to the low beams and also to the Daylight Running Lights in a different way. Anyway, it seems that the DRL Relay or fuse could be my problem.

For those that wants to read those diagrams, you put 85-1 on top of 85-2 etc. On page 85-1 you have a flow that terminate by a triangle named "A". This triangle continue somewhere else on the same page.

If ever the multifonction switch is the problem, the diagrams says that we can test it, here is what they say : "SEE 149-4 FOR SWITCH TESTING". So I suppose there is 149-4 diagram somewhere.

On diagram 85-3 we see that the fuse 25 and 31 for the right and left headlamps receive their power from the triangle E. This triangle E on page 85-2 gets it power from the DRL Relay. I see also on page 85-3 a fuse number 35. I will check and change this one right now.

Tags
f53, light, lights