Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
No Power to Left Turn Signal at Hitch

I have a 1999 Newmar Mt. Aire and have lost the power to the left turn signal at the Tow Harness. The signal works fine on the motorhome. All of the other connections have power at the hitch harness. I took the 7 pin connector apart and checked all of the connections, all were good. I traced the "red" wire back to the gas tank area where it connected into the Ford wiring harness. I took this connector apart and also used some electrical contact cleaner on it. I spent all afternoon on this problem and still have no left turn signal power to my towed.

It appears that the signal lights on the motorhome uses a different set of wires than those going to the hitch harness.

Can anyone provide me with any additional information as to additional locations to check for power to the signal?

Thanks for any good suggestions.

tbussche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at this F Series Trailer Tow Tap Schematic

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbussche View Post
I have a 1999 Newmar Mt. Aire and have lost the power to the left turn signal at the Tow Harness. The signal works fine on the motorhome. All of the other connections have power at the hitch harness. I took the 7 pin connector apart and checked all of the connections, all were good. I traced the "red" wire back to the gas tank area where it connected into the Ford wiring harness. I took this connector apart and also used some electrical contact cleaner on it. I spent all afternoon on this problem and still have no left turn signal power to my towed.

It appears that the signal lights on the motorhome uses a different set of wires than those going to the hitch harness.

Can anyone provide me with any additional information as to additional locations to check for power to the signal?

Thanks for any good suggestions.
Have you tried a test light on the bulb socket. Also try a manual ground to the socket that is not working.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
All of the lights on the motorhome and the toad are good and in working order.

I have used both a volt ohm meter and a circuit tester. I have traced and tested back to the connector which is located in front of the gastank on my unit.

Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse for the trailer tow wiring and a separate fuse for the motorhome's turn signals?

Tom Van de Bussche
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbussche View Post
All of the lights on the motorhome and the toad are good and in working order.

I have used both a volt ohm meter and a circuit tester. I have traced and tested back to the connector which is located in front of the gastank on my unit.

Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse for the trailer tow wiring and a separate fuse for the motorhome's turn signals?

Tom Van de Bussche
Yes my E-450 super duty has a separate fuse out under the hood for the tow wiring. I think mine is #24. Just went through this last week. However, since you have power to the other functions that probably is not your answer. When my tow wiring fuse blew, I had nothing on any pin.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought mine some of the fuses were blown for the trailer connector. If I remember right there are seperate fuses for LT, RT, Tail, & Brake lights, and are located in the fuse box under the dash on the left. Your Ford owners manual will have a diagram showing there locations.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone that replied. I found the problem, thanks to JIMARY. There is a separate fuse box under the dashboard to the left of the steering column. I pulled the 10 amp fuse that the owners manual said was for the left trailer turn signal and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and now once again I have a left turn signal on the toad when attached to the motorhome.

Now I can once again make left hand turns with peace of mind.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

God bless you for being able to see and work on that fuse box,it is like working with fish hooks for fingers. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, turn signal