Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Observation during shock replacement.

Hello,

I was replacing the stock Bilstein shocks (which are gas as I understand it) this past weekend and observed (and almost KO'd) myself something that brought about a question (I am no RV/Car expert, but can turn a wrench).

The 1st shock I went after was the front left starting at the top (which I quickly found out was probably the wrong end to start on). As I was leaning over the 22.5 front tire (which was turned out so I could fit my head in the well), I zipped off the top nut and pulled the bolt out.

The Bilstein immediately shot upwards fairly fast almost pegging me in the process (not a whole lot of room to duck and jive in the wheel-well with that big 22.5). While this makes some sense beings that it is a gas shock, I started to wonder about:

If it extends so easily and quickly on its own like that, how can there be any (or much) dampening on the outward stroke? Seems like if the rig is rocking side to side, that you would be relying mostly on the opposite side (that is going down) to provide the dampening.

The new shocks I have are oil filled and provide dampening (it seems) both ways (I had to pull hard to get them extended enough to install). Just seemed like the dampening on the Bilstein's were more of one-way (down stroke)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

I never thought about it, but you do make a good point.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Here is an explanation:
https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1003...non-gas-shocks
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

I see no real explanation there
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

Just curious, what brand of new shocks are you installing?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I replaced the shocks on my 1999 Southwind a couple months ago, It had factory Bilstiens on the front and OEMs on the back. Both were reasonably worn but had some dampening when going up and down. I put on KBYs (about $45 each). These did not "shoot up" but had very strong dampening in both dirrections. I had to sit on them for a couple minutes to get them to compress so I could install them:

Replace Shock Absorbers – 1999 Southwind 35S

When I replaced the shocks on my old Mirada several years ago. They were OEM and were toast, no compression going up or down. I replaced them with Monroes (about $50 each). Made a HUGE difference in handling and ride.

Install new shocks on 2001 F53 chassis – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

When
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Just curious, what brand of new shocks are you installing?
It was Koni FSD's.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
It was Koni FSD's.

Excellent choice, that's' what I have on ours made a world of difference in ride comfort.

Hope they work as well for you,....

Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Excellent choice, that's' what I have on ours made a world of difference in ride comfort.

Hope they work as well for you,....
Well Jim,

The wife (her 1st ride in it) and I got the bejeezus scare't out of us this past weekend on a 200mi trip. We had just come off a big mountain pass West of Colorado Springs, bottoming out in open prairie country which is known for gusty high wind capability.

So I was actually prepared (both hands on the wheel), but when it hit it still surprised me. Weren't going that fast, but it darn near took us off the right side no matter what I did with the wheel. I kept her on the road-bed OK but...

After the wife settled, she looked over at me and said, "You know all that stuff you were researching and talking about possibly needing for safety and handling upgrades? GET IT ORDERED TONIGHT!!!".

So FSD's on, Safe-T-Plus on, RM Front Sway Bar received last night, Rear sway slated for next Friday, also performing CHF on rear. Then we will venture out again.

Terry
Old 05-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Koni had a $50 dollar rebate - but I don't know if it's still active.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

Terry, we've had a few of those involuntary lane changes from cross winds while traveling through New Mexico on I-40, a bit scary.

It appears you have a very wise partner. I hope your future travels will be less stressful.

Wishing you many fun, safe and trouble free journeys.

Jim

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:

So FSD's on, Safe-T-Plus on, RM Front Sway Bar received last night, Rear sway slated for next Friday, also performing CHF on rear. Then we will venture out again.

Terry
Well that's disappointing. We've been talking about maybe upgrading from our 2014 Winnebago Vista 31KE to the 2017 Baystar 3009. A major point of consideration was that the the 3009: is about 4" shorter but the wheelbase is 10" longer, has the larger 22.5" tires instead of 19.5" and is on the 22K lb chassis instead of the 18K chassis. Was hoping all these differences would result in a much more stable ride.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Well that's disappointing. We've been talking about maybe upgrading from our 2014 Winnebago Vista 31KE to the 2017 Baystar 3009. A major point of consideration was that the the 3009: is about 4" shorter but the wheelbase is 10" longer, has the larger 22.5" tires instead of 19.5" and is on the 22K lb chassis instead of the 18K chassis. Was hoping all these differences would result in a much more stable ride.
It may be OK for you, you never know. I had absolutely no experience with a Class A, so had no comparison. You do, and a simple test drive will probably tell you what you need to know.

Personally I want a rock solid rig on the road. From what I have read, the F53 is not that for most no matter what mfg (Ford being the only game in town these days). Can't afford a DP (does not make sense for our weekend type of camping). I believe I can get the rig where I want it (but yes it will cost to get it there). I have it scheduled for a fully loaded alignment next week. I want my wife to be able to drive the rig without being afraid of it.

I wish they came as good handling beasts, but it appears they are only that way for some, so try a test drive with the rig you have your eye on, you just never know.

Good luck

Terry
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
It may be OK for you, you never know. I had absolutely no experience with a Class A, so had no comparison. You do, and a simple test drive will probably tell you what you need to know.

Personally I want a rock solid rig on the road. From what I have read, the F53 is not that for most no matter what mfg (Ford being the only game in town these days). Can't afford a DP (does not make sense for our weekend type of camping). I believe I can get the rig where I want it (but yes it will cost to get it there). I have it scheduled for a fully loaded alignment next week. I want my wife to be able to drive the rig without being afraid of it.

I wish they came as good handling beasts, but it appears they are only that way for some, so try a test drive with the rig you have your eye on, you just never know.

Good luck

Terry
Ok maybe you just weren't used to it and if you haven't had it aligned yet that may make a significant difference. I've done most of what you have done to improve the handling. When you get the alignment done you may want to request that the caster and toe in be set to the high end of the specs as that will improve stability. If you don't ask then they will shoot for the middle of the specification range.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement