Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #1

We recently had our 2008 Allegro 32LA, Ford, aligned and now the steering wheel is quite off center. The alignment guy said the steering wheel had to be pulled by Ford and centered. Ford said the wheel can't be pulled and centered. According to Ford when aligned the wheel should have been centered first and then aligned making adjustments as needed to keep the steering wheel centered. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #2

We recently had our 2008 Allegro 32LA, Ford, aligned and now the steering wheel is quite off center. The alignment guy said the steering wheel had to be pulled by Ford and centered. Ford said the wheel can't be pulled and centered. According to Ford when aligned the wheel should have been centered first and then aligned making adjustments as needed to keep the steering wheel centered. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Through 2006 the f53 has only one adjustable tie rod end. Both right & left are needed to center the wheel while adjusting the toe. The wheel must be removed and reinstalled on the spine closest to center. If your 2008 has two adj. tierod ends and or an srs airbag the wheel should not need be removed.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at this bulletin F53 MOTOR HOME CHASSIS CLEAR VISION AND ALIGNMENT POLICY CHANGE
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
iRV2 Sponsor

RJEV,

As you have found, the toe got set and now your steering wheel is off center. On all other chassis' except for the Ford we center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. Since Ford has a non adjustable drag link this leaves most alignment shops in the dark. There is an adjustable drag link available or you can have your alignment shop call me and I will share a method that will allow them to center the wheel with little or no cost.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had a steering box replaced and when I left the dealer the steering wheel was off center.

Took it back and the mechanic got underneath and centered it quite easily.

Ocal Ford
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #7

I have a 2006 F53 and its a very easy job to center the wheel. There are 2 plastic caps on the back side of the steering wheel and when you remove them there are 2 screws that hold the face plate on. Under the face plate there is a large nut to remove that holds the steering wheel on. I bought a universal puller at Harbor Freight for $10.00 and pulled the steering wheel off and put it back on straight. Antbody can do this in less then a hour. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #8

I have a 2005 Ford F53 Chassis. As John Hilley sent you, Ford has issued a bulletin on how to align your steering wheel.

And as Snowfitter said, it is easy to align your steering wheel yourself. Unless Ford has changed its F53 chassis in recent years motor home chassis do not have air bags installed.

I pulled my steering wheel and changed my alignment. I'm now happy with the alignment. The bulletin will tell you how many degrees each spline will change your steering wheel alignment. I think I moved my steering wheel two splines clockwise.

Good Luck.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

Snowfitter and Yellowboat are both right on the money.

I did the same thing when I first bought my MH in 06.

Bill
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input but it is my understanding from Ford that after 2006 and the addition of airbags that one can no longer center the steering wheel by removing it. Apparently the airbag and the way the wheel is attached prevents centering of the wheel at the steering wheel. This came from the Ford regional rep. If anyone has done it this way with an F53 after 06 please let me know.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #11

Airbags? Better check that again....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #12

Tim wrote: Airbags? Better check that again....

Tim.

I know. I've gotten much bad info from both Ford and the alignment shop about this. However Keith at Redlands has been very helpful and I will go back to the alignment shop with his suggestions as soon as I get off the road for awhile. I just hoped that someone had some experience with the alignment of a 2008 Ford F53 since there were changes made to the steering after the 06s.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #13

Suspension changes (ride height,front track bar) were made in '04. '06 introduced the 3 valve and 5 speed trans.

I talked to Keith too. Sounds like you found the right guy to be calling.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote