Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
So your saying that AMSOIL the company that came out with full synthetic oil (before Mobil 1) is not a true synthetic oil ?
I stand corrected . I couldn't think of the others 100% Synthetics and should have said the two I can remember are.......

Darn, that must be the first mistake I made yesterday. It is hell getting old....
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Give us the details. My best friend has a Vista with V10. Lots of V10s out there in motorhome service.
I think I'll start a new thread about this Ford V10 engine in a few days with photos ... stay tuned, it ain't pretty.

Figures, just snapped the trans indicator cable on the steering column, at least they'll have to fix THAT under an existing recall.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest you read the book that came with your ford chassis. You might learn all kinds of interesting things.
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
X2 on the Fumoto. Stick a hose on the valve and into a 2 gal container and open the valve, no mess.
X3 on the valve, I made a pan that snaps onto the axle under the filter in order to change it without a mess, I also carry and use a lube oil pressure dispenser with a 52" hose, valve and j hook on the end. Once I drain the oil and change the filter I put 7 quarts of 5/20 in the dispenser, insert the j hook into the oil fill pipe, pump the tank up to 15 psi, open the valve and the oil is pushed into the engine. I use a service mat and the whole process takes 15 minutes in a parking lot.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
X3 on the valve, I made a pan that snaps onto the axle under the filter in order to change it without a mess, I also carry and use a lube oil pressure dispenser with a 52" hose, valve and j hook on the end. Once I drain the oil and change the filter I put 7 quarts of 5/20 in the dispenser, insert the j hook into the oil fill pipe, pump the tank up to 15 psi, open the valve and the oil is pushed into the engine. I use a service mat and the whole process takes 15 minutes in a parking lot.
Mrfix
That type of oil fill setup is built in to some rigs, ours is one. Has a 7 gallon reservoir near the engine and a pump right beside it. Nice and neat except ours takes 14 gallons to do a change, but only required every 25,000 miles although I'd never go that far even with synthetic and an analysis. Not worth saving a few $$.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
I think I'll start a new thread about this Ford V10 engine in a few days with photos ... stay tuned, it ain't pretty.
Please do I'd like to see it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
So your saying that AMSOIL the company that came out with full synthetic oil (before Mobil 1) is not a true synthetic oil ?
After talking to a guy that owns an oil analysis company I found out that not all full synthetic oils are the same. It comes down to base stock. I am going from memory here but a base group 4 stock is the most pure full syn oil you can get. Mobil 1, Amsoil (I believe) and probably a few others are a group 4 base stock. Now you can have a group 3 base stock that is similar to a semi synthetic but they add a lot more chemicals to the mixture and thus can call it a full syn. Rotella one a court case because other oil manufactures said they were false advertising because they were not using a group 4 base stock. But since they had a bunch of chemicals added to the pot they could "technically" say they were full synthetic. That is it in a nut shell but it was based off memory. But not all full synthetic oils are the same. He also said Mobil 1 is some of the best oil out there. Motorcraft is also one of the best.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #22

Actually the court case was between Castrol (group 3 base oil) and Mobil (group 4 base oil) with Mobil suing saying that a base three oil was really a highly refined mineral oil and not a synthetic oil (a PAO). US court ruled that since Castrol's base oil contained only a small family of closely related molecules it could be called synthetic. Most oil additives a only compatible with a group 2/3 oils and without serious chemical manipulation are not compatible with group 4 oils, thus group 3 oils are cheaper. Group 3 oil base stock is around 3.70 a gallon and group 4 about $4.10 the rest is additives, marketing and transportation. Group 3 oils are stable up to about 270 F while group 4 are stable well above 300 F degrees.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
To find out more on oils, go to bobistheoilguy.com Lots of info and oil analysis.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHTC3 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought too ... until about 2 weeks ago when my Ford V10 blew up on I-90 west past Spokane. Yep, changed oil and filter every 3k miles with Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. 30 days out of warranty with only 31k miles and Ford hands me a bill for $11k+. I'm learning a lot about Ford the hard way.
There seems to be something missing from this story. Even the earliest Ford chassis equipped with the V10's had a 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The 2011 models had a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty plus a 5 year 60,000 mile limited powertrain warranty.