Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Tejay with only one exception. Changing the oil every 6 months can/will give someone an opportunity to give the undercarriage an examination to head off or prevent problems that left unchecked could cause damage or loss of control. If you check your own vehicle and perform a good visual before you hit the road then by all means stretch it out similar to tejays suggestions, if not then it may not be a bad thing to get it changed giving someone an opportunity to look things over.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
I assume you have a gasser RV. My diesel pusher says 20,000 Ike's or one year.
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #31

Is an "Ike's" closer to a league or a fathom? JK
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 AM   #32

Kind of off topic, but kinda not… I went to pick up a fairlynew Porshe to tow to the dealership for a “would not start” issue. The servicemanager told me to pay close attention to everything. When I got there, I sawmarks on the concrete outside of the garage door. Another roll back been here Iwondered? I put down 2X8s and rolled the car out and hooked to it. The femaleowner kept complaining about the service department and about how they nevertook care of anything and all the problems, basically acting like an RV ownerthe entire hour ride back. When I got back, the SM explained to her exactly howand what they were going to do, and what everything meant. First thing wascheck the battery, all was fine. Then pulled the dipstick, oil was pristine,especially for being 2500 miles since last oil change. (This was 1985 when 3Kmiles was the norm). She kept telling the SM and GM what they were going to dofor her with the first item being a new Porshe as a loaner car and that sheexpected her car back in two days. Put it on the lift and explained that theywere going to take two oil samples from the pan and then two from the filter.SM explained in detail how new oil in a seized or compromised engine wouldappear clean and have streaks of dark oil in it as it was drained, and that theoil in the filter would be a distinctly darker color. Needless to say, youguessed it, new oil in pan and old oil with visible metal shavings in thefilter. When they told her that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty, she wentballistic. She wanted somebody else to look at it. After a few phone calls, Iloaded the Porshe back up with a new filter on it, and took her, the car, andthe oil samples to Columbia SC (three hours away). They told her the same thingat the dealership down there where the regional bigwigs were. Now, she’s gonnasue and then started demanding that I take her back home (no loaner for her). Icalled the tow truck owner and he told me to charge her for the mileage backhome, and that really set her off. She cleaned out the car, took the tag offand called a cab to the bus station. I went back 2 weeks later and picked thecar back up (new motor) and took it to the original dealer to put on the usedlot. A friend of mine bought it the next day for a great deal.

Best advice I ever got for warranty was, if you do your ownchanges, save the reciepts and the filter with the oil inside and put it in a zip lock bag with date and mileage andoil used info. They can actually track a progression in the oil samples anddetermine how the changes were done in relation to each other as far as regularintervals and most owners aren’t going to be consistent about mislabeling theirstuff in order to avoid a future warranty issue.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #33

Wander over to www.BobIsTheOilGuy and search "Dnewton3" for some excellent analysis of the subject by someone with educated opinions on this very topic.
BITOG is like iRV2...you have to sort out 80 percent of what you read but there are some folks who really know their stuff.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 AM   #34

My advice... if it is still under warranty... and I was concerned about the possibility of voiding the warranty... I would follow the owners manual to the letter and have all of the work performed at the dealership... then you have their recorded accurate service history... and peace of mind... looks good on car fax report too...

I enjoy peace of mind...
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #35

Oil changes are not a mystical guessing game. You can get a test kit and have your used oil analysed and odds are the report will come back "ok for continued service." Mostly these are done on huge engines that use hundreds of gallons of oil and changing prematurely is just too costly. Amzoil claims with their air filter and oil filter a 100,000 mile change interval for your car or light truck. My Cummins 400hp takes 7 gallons of oil, and I was told to change it at 15,000 miles but even though I spend a lot of time traveling I have yet to hit that number in one season. I change my oil at the end of the season so the bearings don't sit in old oil for the winter I've read of people who change it before their next outing - ask any mechanic - that is the wrong mind set. As for where? If you have a big diesel you want to go to a Goodyear Tire and Service center at a truck stop - they put your rig over a pit, inspect and lube the chassis, change the oil, oil filter and fuel water separator for under $200. Cheaper than I can do it myself. Change the oil before layup regardless of miles or months - synthetics can go multiple years but I figure why take the chance - it's a good idea to have the undercarriage inspected annually anyway so I stick with Rotella T once a year which I used on the Cummins in my boat for 10 years.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote