Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Oil change interval

I have a 2004 Seabreeze, on 2003 ford chassis with v-10. Chassis manual says oil change interval is 5,000 miles. Goes on to say 3,000 in certain severe conditions. I have purchased Ford synthetic blend 5w30 per sticker under hood. Was ready to change yesterday and then realized I only have about 2,800 on current change, 31,000 on motor. Now wondering what you all say and do. I understand 3,000 mile changes on auto that dive only a few miles at each run, like mine 2 miles to office, 2 miles home, 4 or 5 1-10 mile trips during the day, in most service schedules this is severe service and I do 3-4,000 mile changes. But the MH never takes short trips, every trip is 150 to 500 miles per, no long idling or stop and go, etc. Sounds to me like I should use the 5,000 mile sched, but then there is the sitting time between trips....

What do you all think, I can go with either 3 or 5K, but don't want to waste my time and money. I know what oil companies say....they sell oil
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #2

using the synthetic blend oil, every 5K will be fine. that oil is much more durable than dino oils.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I do mine at 5000. I had an 01 and now an 08 and they both called for 5W20.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
OOPS

Meant 5w20 synthetic
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree that 5000 is great for normal mileage. When I go out west, I usually go for a couple of months at a time. We usually drive about 6500 miles in the motorhome. (about the same in the toad.) I never change oil in the motorhome until I get back home. All this mileage is highway mileage with very little stop and go. I use synthetic oil and filter. The synthetic filter cost a little more but is supposed to clean the oil better.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

I do all my vehicles at 5,000 mi including my gasser, although I never reach the 5,000 mile mark on the motor home, so it's once a year. I also like to use the full synthetic, although not sure why, I guess to benefit the next owner after I sell or trade in.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
My book says 6 months or 7,500 miles for "Normal Scheduled Maintenance" and 6 months or 5,000 miles for "Special Operating Conditions", e.g. operating the vehicle "primarily" for towing a trailer or extensive idling or operating in "dusty or sandy conditions". 5K sounds good to me.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
This is somewhat of a controversial subject.

I follow my dash computer and my Workhorse manual of 3000 mile changes. I might go over a little or even under. Due now for a change at ~4000 miles. Just returned home from FL.

IMHO, a gas engine in a motorhome is severe service because of moving 20,000-30,000 pounds.

And, I've never seen a vehicle manual that listed a different change interval for dino and syn. Synthetic manufacturers like to imply that you can go longer to justify the additional cost of their synthetic.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I change annually in my birthday month - same for our other low annual miles vehicles (Jeep and a old truck). Seldom hit 5000 miles in a year.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Synthetics have been proven to last a lot longer than regular oils. You can do your own search and find the results. These tests have been run by companies other than oil companies as well. I have used 10-K as my interval and have for 30+ years and never had a problem. Why is it that new technology is just so hard to accept???? And no batteries setting on a concrete floor will not suck the juice out of the battery over night. That to was an old wives tale from years and years ago.

JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #11

I also have the Ford V10 in my 2006 Daybreak with synthetic oil. Also am rebuilding a 62 T-bird 390 with the 3X2. Belong to a T-Bird club forum and have been cautioned about using synthetic oil for engine valve train break in. It is to slick to break in a new cam & lifters. Which is fine, but also cautioned about using synthetic oil in classic car because they spend most of their time not used and garaged. Kind of like us retired guys. Synthetic is so slick that over time it doesn't stick to engine parts and tends to slides off. So at start up some parts of the engine can run kind of dry of required lub till oil pressure is up & lub splashes up to cyl walls. Looks like it is kind of hard to have it both ways: super slippery and sticky at the same time. Not sure if this might not also belong in the same box as the battery on concrete thing. I think the M/H will spend more time parked and ignored. Any body have any thoughts on this??? My first use of synthetic in the boat engine was a big problem.
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

If I remember correctly, corvettes come with synthetic oil.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with TeJay. I have used synthetic oil (Mobil 1) for many years. I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles. I have 32,000 miles on motorhome, 114,000 miles on Ford Escape and 60,000 miles on Ford Ranger. I have used synthetic since breakin and have never had a problem. Modern oils are not the same as the Quaker State of old.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two governing bodies when it comes to oil: SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and API (American Petroleum Institute), SAE certifies the viscosity and API deals with the S ratings (quality). The S ratings were started years ago S or service and the next letter started with "A" the first letter of the alphabet. The could go for 25 improvements without changing the system They are currently up to "L". The letters refer to the API quality standards. So an SL oil is higher quality than a SK oil. It matters not who makes the oil if it meets the SL ratings of the API then it meets those standards. SL oil made by Penzoil is no better than an SL made by Exxon. Google "Myths concerning synthetic oils". You'll learn a lot. Back 35 years ago Mobil brought out Mobil 1 and advertised 25,000 mile oil changes. They forgot about Joe Cool who knew it all when it came to oil. Actually he knew what his Dad taught him, who learned it from his Dad and so on. Technology does change and there are better lubricants out there. It's not all hype and always about $$$$. Yes, there are about 15-20 high end vehicles that come from the factory with Mobil 1 oil and that includes the Corvette.
JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote