Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil change question..I'm not a novice I promise!!

Hey guys, real quick. I'm going to do an oil change on my 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX (2007 Ford Chassis) and I'm need some quick advice. How do you guys normally change the oil? RV completely flat? Front Jacks only? I don't have ramps heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the rig. I've changed oil in all my vehicles many times, but this being a bigger rig I'm just wondering what you all do.

Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Jeremiah
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Oil change question..I'm not a novice I promise!!

We have a 97 Bounder and I change it the same way I do the car.

John/Lynette

1997 Fleetwood Bounder (Ford F53 V-8 460)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
all you need is enough clearance to get far enough under to reach the drain plug, put a flat pan under the drain , & get the filter off (if you can't reach the filter from the top)

I put a piece of cardboard (from my local dumpster) on the ground, to lay on

if you do not have clearance, put 1 or 2 pieces of 2X6 under each (or 1) Front wheel.

Drain should be the at the low point-to allow complete drainage.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
No need to use jacks. The chassis is high enough off the ground to change oil and service without jacking. DO NOT get under a motorhome with the leveling jacks only supporting it. We used to have the jacks factory team install jacks at our place. They said that a line failure would bring down the motorhome before you could get out from under it. I have changed tires using the motorhome jacks, but I never got under the motorhome. If I dropped a lug nut and it rolled under the motorhome, it stayed under there until I got the motorhome back on the ground.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone. I figured it would be that simple, just wanted to double check. Now I need to find a pan that will hold 6 quarts!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a Futomo valve to make changing it in the future a lot easier.

TeJay
Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

I use a quart size ziplock bag and put it around the filter once it is loose then take it off not as messy zip it up easy to dispose of .
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocja01 View Post
Hey guys, real quick. I'm going to do an oil change on my 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX (2007 Ford Chassis) and I'm need some quick advice. How do you guys normally change the oil? RV completely flat? Front Jacks only? I don't have ramps heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the rig. I've changed oil in all my vehicles many times, but this being a bigger rig I'm just wondering what you all do.

Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Jeremiah
brocja01
I don't use jacks ...just a "mortar mixing tub" to catch the oil, (and the filter)....Lowe's - 36-in x 24-1/2-in High Density Polyethylene Large Black Mixing Tub customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

BTW, it also works when changing the transmission filters and/or fluid... and when draining the coolant.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others , I simply slide under there, no jacks.

On mine the oil will come down and hit the axle, so I use a small piece of cardboard on the axle to deflect it.

Two suggestions I picked up on this site:

1) I need to get one of those oil drain valve things so I don't need the cardboard. NOTE - I just ordered one on Amazon

F106S (14mm-1.5): Fumoto Oil Drain Valve $33 with shipping. I'll install it at next oil change.

2) Knock the filter lose, when your sure its really lose (not leaking oil all over the place yet, but lose) , punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a nail to drain the oil before pulling it off. The oil filter may also drain onto the axle, so have that cardboard ready.

While under there look around at other stuff.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I use a quart size ziplock bag and put it around the filter once it is loose then take it off not as messy zip it up easy to dispose of .

Dang that's a great idea
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #11

Thanks Brocja01 for asking the question since I had one similar. And to go one step further, how do you get the oil back in? The fill tube is so high underneath the dash on my MH that I don't think you can get a plastic quart bottle up there to pour. Do you use some kind of manual or electric pump?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

After fooling with funnels for many years, I changed the oil two weeks ago and made another mess, oil running down the side etc.... After a few choice words I went inside and purchased a oil transfer pump on the internet for about $30.00. I hope this will make the job cleaner next year.
hayward3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The oil change went extremely well this afternoon. Not sure why I was worried, just like changing the oil on my cars. Also set the tire pressures, topped off the radiator, checked everything else and got on the road. Drove 3.5 hours south on our way to Indiana. RV handled flawlessly!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

Good time to get a grease gun and grease all the grease zerks if you have not already.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote