Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

thanks for all the help

I crawled under there yesterday and followed the hosed but couldn't identify any leaks. Will take the dog house off this week and check up there. I did get a new dipstick with the round handle before this trip. I am going to change it with Castrol semi synthetic hi mileage (even though I am at 61k) later this week and see exactly where it is on the dipstick with the 6 quarts. One question is that I have been checking it after it has sat for a few hours at least at the campsite, it seemed easier to read because I would get a really distinct line since all the oil had drained down. Figured that would be a max reading since it had all drained into the pan (other than the filter) so I wouldn't overfill. Is that ok? thanks, tom My next trip is end of September back down to florida so will have to wait till then for the real test.
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will throw some more heresy into this forum.

Oil consumption is "normal" in an engine. Nothing in a good engine runs steel on steel. There is always a thin oil film between the hard bits. A slight film is left on the bore every time the piston goes up and down. What the top ring pushes to the top of the bore on the firing stroke gets burnt. The valve stems are the same. What gets carried to the bottom of the intake valve gets sucked into the cylinder and burnt. What ends up on the bottom of the exhaust valve gets burnt when the exhaust valve opens.

Manufacturers have been moving to thinner and thinner oils as all of the easy ways of increasing mpg have been explored. The thinner the oil the less friction. Pretty simple. But the thinner the oil the easier it gets past the rings and down the valve guides.

The often quote view that you have to rev the V10 to make it go up hills is nonsense. The more you make the Pistons and valves go up and down, everything else being equal, the more oil you will burn. The thinner the oil you run in an engine, everything else being equal, the more oil you will burn.

Now I am not saying to go in the face of the manufactures and dump 90# in your engine, but as your engine wears and the clearances get bigger going up a viscosity grade or two will not do any harm. I see no problem in putting 15w 40 in a V10 that is using significant oil.

Also reduce the piston speed. Driving at 60mph will have a significant effect on oil use over driving at 70mph. Don't believe the nonsense about what rpm peak horse power is and that's where you need to be to get up a steep hill. Torque is what gets you up the hill and 3000/3500 is plenty to do the job. If you are doing the cannon ball rally sell your motorhome and get a Ferrari.

When you are running over 4000/4500 you are in wear it out city. What for?

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #17

A big part of the thinner oil for the overhead cam and roller lifters. Lots of very close tolerances that thick oil does not get into well.
My 99 F350 V-10 would use a couple of quarts between oil changes.
Every 800 miles is a lot of oil burning but not sure if that would be enough for me to do something about it.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, v10