Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

Oil for V10?

I understand my 2000 Itasca needs 6qts of Synthetic 5W-30 oil!

I thought I had this covered but then I see on the shelf that there is "Fully Synthetic" and "Blended Synthetic". ????

Could I get a brand name that Walmart or O'Reilly might have?

Also I was told I need One Max PM 15W-40 for the Owen!

I didn't see One Max PM on the Walmart shelf??

If possible also would anyone have the number of he oil filter I will need for the V10???

I would appreciate any suggestions!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

5-30 synthetic blend Motorcraft is what it calls for and is sold at Walmart . The Onan can take any 15/40.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
5-30 synthetic blend Motorcraft is what it calls for and is sold at Walmart . The Onan can take any 15/40.
Thank you. Is there a special oil filter or do I just ask for a V10 ford in 2000 year.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Oil for V10?

Motorcraft FL-820S also sold at Walmart
Here's another recent thread on this same thing.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/can-...10-262140.html

Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32v, 48,000mi. Just put in 6 qts of Brad Penn Synblend 5W-30....after much research and info from this forum. Previously used Brad Penn 10W-30 conventional oil but switched for many good reasons....all from this forum, again.
Also always use a NAPA Gold oil filter.
Ready for my trip south next month........................................
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Ok I am changing my oil on my 2000 Itasca Ford V10 I been told that six quarts is what I want. But with six quarts my stick still shows a quart low?????
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Ok I am changing my oil on my 2000 Itasca Ford V10 I been told that six quarts is what I want. But with six quarts my stick still shows a quart low?????

There was a recall ( TSB ) on the dip stick for my 01 . Your 2000 may have been affected as well. Is your handle on the dip stick a round circle or a Tee ?

Old 09-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Its a T ?

So if the T is wrong stick, do I know for sure that six quarts is what this is???
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Its a T ?

So if the T is wrong stick, do I know for sure that six quarts is what this is???
You definitely have the wrong dipstick. In your case I would put 6 quarts in the crankcase and a new filter. Run the engine a few minutes to be sure the filter is filled then shut it off. Wait about 10 minutes and check the oil level. Be careful to note where the oil level is on the stick, then take a scribe or small file and put a new mark on the stick at the top point where the oil touches it.

A couple notes of caution. Be sure to wait about 10 minutes before checking the oil. On some engines it takes several minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan.

When you pull the dipstick wipe it of and reinsert it. Then when you pull it out you'll get the actual oil level not a false reading of oil that may have been splashed against the stick.

You can always get a new dipstick with the loop handle and tube from a Ford truck dealer. You'll need both since the tube for the T handle dipstick is longer. If you don't change out the tube you'll have the same problem, but with the loop handle rather than the T handle.

It'll probably cost about $50.00 plus the labor to install it. You can attempt to pull the old tube yourself, but on an older vehicle they like to be seize into place from oil residue and rust. More often than not they break. If it does break you'll need the tools to remove it from the block. Then you'll have to press the new one in without damaging it.

It's best to just remark the existing dipstick.

As for the proper amount of oil 6 quarts is correct. There are only 3 versions of the V10 used in the F53 motorhome chassis. The first 2 versions (275 hp in 1999 and the 310 hp version used 2000 to Jan 1, 2005) had 2 valves per cylinder. They use 6 quarts of oil with a filter.. The newest version introduced in 2005 has 3 valves per cylinder, It uses 7 quarts with a filter.

There are many other versions of this engine in various applications since it's introduction in 1997. They are used on everything from stationary power plants to 1 ton vans. Some have different oil capacities. The ones I mentioned earlier are the only ones used in the F53 motorhome chassis

For the record a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. A TSB is not an official recall, rather a notice to the dealers that there is fix for an identified problem. There is no government mandate that requires the manufacturer to perform this TSB. They generally address this type of issue when the vehicle is under warranty and for a few years after. I doubt you'll be able to get it replaced free of charge on a 16 year old vehicle. However it never hurts to ask.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
Its a T ?

If I remember correctly ( it's been 14 years ) the Tee was replaced for the circle handle. Call Ford as they may still be honoring the change. In the mean time , put in six quarts and filter and mark the stick.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
You definitely have the wrong dipstick. In your case I would put 6 quarts in the crankcase and a new filter. Run the engine a few minutes to be sure the filter is filled then shut it off. Wait about 10 minutes and check the oil level. Be careful to note where the oil level is on the stick, then take a scribe or small file and put a new mark on the stick at the top point where the oil touches it.

A couple notes of caution. Be sure to wait about 10 minutes before checking the oil. On some engines it takes several minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan.

When you pull the dipstick wipe it of and reinsert it. Then when you pull it out you'll get the actual oil level not a false reading of oil that may have been splashed against the stick.

You can always get a new dipstick with the loop handle and tube from a Ford truck dealer. You'll need both since the tube for the T handle dipstick is longer. If you don't change out the tube you'll have the same problem, but with the loop handle rather than the T handle.

It'll probably cost about $50.00 plus the labor to install it. You can attempt to pull the old tube yourself, but on an older vehicle they like to be seize into place from oil residue and rust. More often than not they break. If it does break you'll need the tools to remove it from the block. Then you'll have to press the new one in without damaging it.

As for the proper amount of oil 6 quarts is correct. There are only 3 versions of the V10 used in the F53 motorhome chassis. The first 2 versions (275 hp in 1999 and the 310 hp version used 2000 to Jan 1, 2005) had 2 valves per cylinder. They use 6 quarts of oil with a filter.. The newest version introduced in 2005 has 3 valves per cylinder, It uses 7 quarts with a filter.

There are many other versions of this engine in various applications since it's introduction in 1997. They are used on everything from stationary power plants to 1 ton vans. Some have different oil capacities. The ones I mentioned earlier are the only ones used in the F53 motorhome chassis

For the record a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. A TSB is not an official recall, rather a notice to the dealers that there is fix for an identified problem. There is no government mandate that requires the manufacturer to perform this TSB. They generally address this type of issue when the vehicle is under warranty and for a few years after. I doubt you'll be able to get it replaced free of charge on a 16 year old vehicle. However it never hurts to ask.

You seem to have the skinny on my engine. Two quick questions. Is there a place to see on my rig if I have the F 53? and I am looking at the air cleaner next and see it and wondering if this is something I clean out with water or do I replace it???
Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
You seem to have the skinny on my engine. Two quick questions. Is there a place to see on my rig if I have the F 53? and I am looking at the air cleaner next and see it and wondering if this is something I clean out with water or do I replace it???
I'm not sure if there is a tag anywhere that identifies the chassis as an F53. However it's the only chassis Ford has made for Class A motorhomes since 1986. So I'm positive you have the F53 chassis.

As for the air cleaner it's a replaceable paper element. It's about 8" in diameter and about 12" long. You have to loosen the clamp between the upper and lower half. You'll also have to loosen the clamp on the other end of the rubber hose that connects the top half of the air cleaner to the air intake tube. Then you can lift the upper half off. Most of the time the upper half is stuck to the lower half. When you lift it be careful not to pull the sensor out of the plastic or disconnect the wires.

Another note of caution: The clamps will only tighten properly when they are in the proper orientation. They're supposed to be captured in place, but sometimes they get dislodged. There's a slot on each clamp that fits over a corresponding raised portion of the housing or tube. Do not try to tighten the clamps if they are not positioned properly. They will break, and the only way you can buy them is to buy a complete air cleaner housing. The air cleaner housing is big bucks, and I'm not sure they're still available.

Just to confuse things there was another TSB about the air cleaner intake snout at the bottom of the lower half of the air cleaner. If the TSB has been performed there should be a J tube that attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner. The top of the tube comes up in front and to the drivers side of the main air cleaner body. It should have a piece of hardware cloth across the top to prevent animals from entering.

The purpose of this tube is to prevent water from destroying the paper air cleaner element. Originally the air was drawn in from the bottom of the housing. However when driving in heavy rain or through deep puddles water was also drawn in. Sometimes it collapsed the air filter element and caused the engine to run poorly.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Oil for V10?

I believe the f53 V10 came out in 99 . In any case your 2000 is an F53.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

My manual says 6 quarts, 2006. Loop type handle. I don't have anything that says otherwise, contrary to what you posted.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10