Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #1

On the road - Need Help with Weird Brake Switch

Made it from Columbus to Chattanooga without any problems. We decided to camp at the Camping World campground. We got everything setup and we were enjoying the afternoon when I kept hearing something in the cockpit running. I found little man playing with the brake pedal. You know, when you press it the pump kicks on and apparently he liked it. Problem is that it stayed on constantly. I took it all apart and could not find anything wrong with anything. The only way to make the pump stop (or brake lights) was to pull back on the pedal. I ended up removing the switch and had to bend the heck out of the pedal tab to adjusted far enough for the switch to disengage.

The only thing I can think of is that the switch crapped out. It's a weird switch and nothing like I've seen before. It was hard to twist it out to remove it even while pressing the two little wings on the side.

Any ideas as to what went wrong other than a bad switch. Lucky thing is that we are at camping world and hopefully can get a replacement switch.

Also, does anyone know if the switch is adjustable. There are no threads like the old conventional ones. It just twists into place, but there is a black ring that appears to be adjustable with two tabs sticking out.

Thanks in advance and hopefully someone can help out before we head out tomorrow.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd call a Ford service department and ask them, not sure how helpful Camping World would be on a definite Ford part.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

To remove the switch,rotate the stoplamp switch clockwise approximately one-eighth turn to remove the stoplamp switch. That switch is adjusted via the brake pedal. I believe if you pull out the center rod that presses against the pedal it will pull out some. It can take some effort. What happens is if you pull up on the pedal more than in normal travel the rod is pushed back into the switch even more. This will change the adjustment. Usually by pulling the rod out and then installing the switch back in when the pedal is pushed down will get it to readjust. I have had to replace some switches for that reason because I was not able to get it out. You may need to run to a local Autozone and get a switch. I believe it is the same switch as most modern Ford models.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

To remove the switch,rotate the stoplamp switch clockwise approximately one-eighth turn to remove the stoplamp switch. That switch is adjusted via the brake pedal. I believe if you pull out the center rod that presses against the pedal it will pull out some. It can take some effort. What happens is if you pull up on the pedal more than in normal travel the rod is pushed back into the switch even more. This will change the adjustment. Usually by pulling the rod out and then installing the switch back in when the pedal is pushed down will get it to readjust. I have had to replace some switches for that reason because I was not able to get it out. You may need to run to a local Autozone and get a switch. I believe it is the same switch as most modern Ford models.
Thanks for the diagram and the instructions. That's exactly what the switch looks like. I was able to pull the rod on the switch out, but it only disengages when the rod is almost all of the way in. I managed to get it working again by bending the metal tab on the pedal. I'll have to make it to a store to get a new switch.

While I was working on that, I figured out what is causing a nasty rattle when I hit a deep hole. I could duplicate the rattle by hitting the steering wheel hard on one side. It is actually caused by two things. One, the nylon bushing that goes between the booster's rod and the brake pedal is not a tight fit. It fits tightly against the pedal side, but loose on the booster's rod. That allows the pedal to have a little bit of back and forth play. The other one, and the main cause of the rattle, is the lateral movement on the entire pedal assembly. The pedal assembly rotates on a horizontally mounted bolt. There is a small gap between the assembly and the mount that needs to be shimmed.

Thanks for the reply. We'll see how it goes on the way down to GA from TN.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, need help