RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Opinions on effect of new Ford F53 engine and chassis on $ Value.

Wondering if introduction of the new F53 V8 engine and improved chassis will have a drastic effect on values of coaches built on the old chassis. I'm thinking that there could be bargains to be had next year on 2020's built on the old chassis. What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
mpinva-

I'm not a betting man, but if I was I would bet that the new motor and chassis will not affect used prices at all.

Look at the 2016 introduction of the six-speed transmission: No effect on used prices.

The new chassis and engine are not such huge leaps ahead, as near as I can tell. They will likely cost more than the current chassis and engine. Some people will avoid buying in the first year or two, until Ford works out the bugs.

No worries for current owners and buyers.

But, I'm not a betting man.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Reading about the complaints of the 5 speed transmission, on this site from owners, I would have waited for the 6 speed, if I had know it was coming.

If just walking in from the street, I would have bought what ever was to my liking, irregardless of the drive train.

The new V8 isn't the that important to most MH buyers, its the fit of the living quarters that is. Most folks just want it to drive OK.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Wondering if introduction of the new F53 V8 engine and improved chassis will have a drastic effect on values of coaches built on the old chassis.

All I have read is that the V10 is being replaced with the new 7.3 V8 but the transmission is still the 6 speed. What chassis changes are they making to the F53 besides the engine?
MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://fordauthority.com/2019/03/202...ssis-revealed/
Old 08-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spoke with one of the Ford chassis engineers about the new engine & F-53 chassis production.
The new engine will be mated to a "Six-speed" transmission.
The 2020 "F-53" chassis will go into production either December or January.....my opinion January, due to plant shutdowns during Christmas/New Year holiday.
By the time the dealers get them to do "PDI", and deliver to the RV manufacturer's, & manufacturer actually builds coaches on them, they, the coaches, will be 2021 models.
He spoke like there would be little to any real chassis change....but who knows!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
Spoke with one of the Ford chassis engineers about the new engine & F-53 chassis production.

The new engine will be mated to a "Six-speed" transmission.

The 2020 "F-53" chassis will go into production either December or January.....my opinion January, due to plant shutdowns during Christmas/New Year holiday.

By the time the dealers get them to do "PDI", and deliver to the RV manufacturer's, & manufacturer actually builds coaches on them, they, the coaches, will be 2021 models.

He spoke like there would be little to any real chassis change....but who knows!

Yes, I was wondering if the motor shape/size might require some doghouse and footwell updates that would push it out in time from the coach builders standpoint.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From the recent press release from the chassis manufacturer (Detroit Chassis, not Ford):

The 2020 model year brings more exciting features for both the F-53 RV and F-59 commercial truck chassis including Fordís latest electrical architecture, its Collision Avoidance and Driver Support System (CADS) option. New offerings feature forward collision mitigation (FCM), lane departure warning (LDW), auto-high beam, and the all-new 7.3-L V8 engine.

I am not in the market for a new MH, but if I were the driver assistance systems would play a big part in my decision.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

You are hearing a lot of talk and speculation about the new engine and chassis configuration for the F53. A lot of people will jump on the bandwagon to be the first to have them and dealers will tout all the "improements". But, I would not touch one for the first two years and then, maybe, consider a 3rd year model to be be sure the bugs are worked out. Maybe it will be the end all to gas rigs who knows. But, I am quite happy with my stock V10 and 6 speed as it does what I need and does it well with no complaints.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 AM   #10

I know were I still in the market I probably wouldn't be lining up to buy a first-model year engine. I'd rather they have a couple years to work out the inevitable bugs.
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The original talk was to hook the new engine up to a 10-speed tranny. That sounded better than just a new engine. The future is in the multiple speed transmissions.

All manufacturers are doing that on the truck chassis to improve the fuel mileage. That information is based on my Nephew who is a lead engineer at the Ford F-150 plant in MI.

I'll see him this Fall and will ask a few more questions about what is going on.

Tags
chassis, engine, f53, ford