Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Out of round steel rims

All,

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind on the Ford f53 chassis that has had a problem with wheels since I have owned it.
At just above 60 mph, I get the classic out of balance shake. It is somewhat subdued but nonetheless there. I have visited my tire shop specializing in truck tire installation and they are suggesting getting at least two new rims.
While spinning on their Roadforce balancing machine I can see run-out ON THE RIM! Mind you, these are not bent from damage but seem to be manufactured with this tolerance, or lack thereof. Otherwise, they are 'balanced".
Where can I get decent rims/wheels for my rig? This is driving me nuts.............

Columbus, Ohio
Agility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the tire shop suggest any places to get new wheels?

Seems like they would have a lot of knowledge in that area.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #3

Well, they did, but I cannot buy from the suggested place directly. I would have to have them get them, and buy from the tire shop. Sounds like an opportunity to mark up the price.

I guess part of my point is, has anybody else experienced the out of round rims on the Ford f53 chassis? I have alloy rims on all my other vehicles and I have never seen any run-out like I have seen with these. It just seems to be poor manufacturing to begin with.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ford had trouble with rim run out on some years. The problem was that the wheel wouldn't center on the hub correctly. Ford came out with a set of shims and instructions on how to correctly mount the wheel.
This may be your problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similar problem

Had a similar problem on my 1988 Winnebago. Took the driveshaft assembly out and had it dynamically balanced. Problem gone. Just a thought.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
Had a similar problem on my 1988 Winnebago. Took the driveshaft assembly out and had it dynamically balanced. Problem gone. Just a thought.
OP says he can SEE the runout of the wheels.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford had the rims for the F53 made in Mexico. In the 1999 thru 200?, They had a spec. of three thousands of an inch. They were delivered with a much higher out of roundness. Later they also had a problem with the center hole that was too large. This is straight from the head engineer at Ford. (not just a rumor I heard.) I have the same problem. Aluminum wheels are the best answer to the problem. Alcoa makes a 22.5 rim that solves the problem. They do not make a 19.5 rim. I have been unable to find a 19.5 aluminum wheel for my 1999. If you find a source, please let me know.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

I can see the run-out while mounted on the machine. Ford knew of a problem and suggested shimming the rim to the coach axle? By the amount of run-out I saw, I do not see how that would possibly remove the issue after mounted.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility57 View Post
Well, they did, but I cannot buy from the suggested place directly. I would have to have them get them, and buy from the tire shop. Sounds like an opportunity to mark up the price.
Sometimes that markup is worth paying. IF the new rims also have a problem (fairly common) it is then the tire shops responsibility and expense ro replace.

Sounds like the tire guys were smart enough and interested enough to figure out an old problem for you. Remember they need to make a profit to stay in business.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Sometimes that markup is worth paying. IF the new rims also have a problem (fairly common) it is then the tire shops responsibility and expense ro replace.

Sounds like the tire guys were smart enough and interested enough to figure out an old problem for you. Remember they need to make a profit to stay in business.
Very true. I am certailny not concerned about a company making a profit. I did not mean it to sound that way. Heaven knows, there is enough government momentum out there to address the evil free market.

So, you think it is fairly common for new rims to have this run-out problem too?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

This story comes from a good friend who, several years back, had a severe vibration problem in his new Ford-powered motorhome. Winnebago claimed it was a Goodyear tire problem, Goodyear claimed it was a Ford chassis problem and Ford claimed it was a Winnebago problem. Nothing was resolved until friend advised he was going to invoke the Texas lemon law, at which point he said everyone became more concerned and finally found he had rims that had the mounting hole circle drilled ff center.The original problem had been said by Ford to be for a serial number range different from his coach, but it was found his wheels were, in fact, defective.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some places, Such as Martys Welding on Telegraph road (N/B) in Detroit, that can straighten rims up for you... Now, I've never gone to them with a truck rim, but they have done a few car rims for my daughter and I.. Even broken mag-alum they have fixed though a blemish remains when they do that.

Of course, I cite them only as an EXAMPLE of such a company, I'm sure there is one closer to you less you happen to be in Detroit.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 04 Ford Chassis had all 6 rims out of round. I found it by driving another vehicle next to the RV while my wife drive it at the worst vibration speeds. The fix; get rid of it for a '11 with aluminum rims.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

I know, pathetic choice, but probably my only one. I just find it hard to believe Ford would allow poor quality passed on to be passed on to the end user, me. Unless I can get aluminum rims in 19.5. Not heard of that option though.