Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Overdrive issue

I have a 1996 Damon Ultrasport with the FI Ford 460 and the 4EOD trans. When driving on the interstate I like to use the cruise when possible. I usually cruise at 65 which equates to about 2500 rpm. When I start going up an incline, I usually tap the brake to disengage the cruise as i feel uneasy when the transmission drops a gear and the engine (and trans) rpms go up a 1,000 rpm. Does this make any sense or is there no harm to the engine or trans to repeatedly go through this cycle. Also, it was recommended to me by someone who knows engines that I might switch from the 10-30 I have been running to the Rotella 15-40 deisel for superior lubricating properties. Any harm (or benefit) here? The rv has 32,000 miles on it and runs great.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

There really is no harm in the transmission shifting in or out of OD unless it is in constant hills. Then it is usually best to leave it in 3rd. I am surprised it will shift out of OD though. Mine needed almost full throttle to downshift and sometimes it wouldn't. I had to use the OD cancel button in some cases. But your calibration may be different. I never heard of anyone recommending a diesel blend oil for a gasser. The additives are specific to a gasser or diesel. Not sure if it would hurt it or not but I would just stick with a good 10-30 or 10-40 oil. I used 10-40 in my 460 when I had it.

I would add a larger cooler to your rig though. The E4OD's has a small cooler and the transmission generates a lot of heat. Temp rise pretty quick when worked hard.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke View Post
I have a 1996 Damon Ultrasport with the FI Ford 460 and the 4EOD trans. When driving on the interstate I like to use the cruise when possible. I usually cruise at 65 which equates to about 2500 rpm. When I start going up an incline, I usually tap the brake to disengage the cruise as i feel uneasy when the transmission drops a gear and the engine (and trans) rpms go up a 1,000 rpm. Does this make any sense or is there no harm to the engine or trans to repeatedly go through this cycle. Also, it was recommended to me by someone who knows engines that I might switch from the 10-30 I have been running to the Rotella 15-40 deisel for superior lubricating properties. Any harm (or benefit) here? The rv has 32,000 miles on it and runs great.
10w-30 will give better MPG and better cold flow. I'd see no reason to change.

It would be easier on the trans if it did its downshifts wit less load on it.
Let me ask this
At what speed or RPM If you leave the cruise on downshift into drive?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
10w-30 will give better MPG and better cold flow. I'd see no reason to change.

It would be easier on the trans if it did its downshifts wit less load on it.
Let me ask this
At what speed or RPM If you leave the cruise on downshift into drive?

Actually with the E4OD or 4R100 a downshift is just a clutch pack (OD in this case) being released. These transmissions just stacks clutch packs for each upshift. The only difference between 3rd and 4th gear is the application of the OD clutch pack.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
4eod cooling

I have actually added a second cooler in line with a cooling fan. Temps get pretty brutal in the south (Louisiana) The downshift will take place if I drop 3-4 mph off the 65 I have the cruise set at, if I disable the cruise, I only lose a few mph going up the hill while maintaining 2500 rpm. so far the consensus seems to be that, within reason, the downshifts are not harmful.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good advice so far. As for your Rotella oil, it is not just "diesel only" but meets gas requirements as well. No worries!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The diesel oil is a little too heavy for the gasser.You might rob the lube to the top of the engine. Stick with the 10w30 or move up to the 10w40. I use Amsoil 10w40 and it works just fine for my 460 v8. If I might make a comment - the RV isn't a race car - don't drive it like one.
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote