Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Parking Brake Light Stays On

Just had the brake system flushed and n ow on a cross-country trip from California to Colorado. About 100 miles from the parking brake light came on and stays on. I checked brake fluid level and brakes all good. No leaks anywhere. Tried to find the parking brake to check fluid level per the manual .....can't find it. Any suggests?
Rig is a 2005 Monaco 34 foot F53 and 22,000 rating.
THanks
Schrimscher
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

The parking brake (on mine) is manual and is just behind the transmission. I don't know what it would have to do with brake fluid levels? Unless the newer models have a hydraulic parking brake? Even my Bimmer has a manual parking brake (not hydraulic).

Mine is just the reverse of a drum brake (pads on the outside instead of the inside) - completely friction and activated by the parking brake pedal - there is no connection to the hydraulic brake system at all.

Glenn
Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a manual system. When you push down on the PB a cable activates the drum type brake around the drive shaft. The switch that activates the light is probably under the dash where you push down on the brake . Check for that and pull the plug on the switch to get the light out . It may need adjusted but why would it come out of adjustment?? That will get the light out.

If there's no heat building up on the PB drum then it's not activated. Use it that way unless you want to either replace a bad switch or adjust it until the light goes out.

TeJay
Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

On my F-150 the light will sometimes stay on when I release the EM, just an adjustment thing. If I pull release handle while putting upward pressure on the lever it goes out. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Sounds like cable needs lubrication.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

Fluid level.

The parking brake uses ATF fluid and should be checked at oil change time. You will find a plug on the side of the parking brake assembly that is located behind the automatic transmission. I'm unsure if low fluid will trigger the braking brake light. It's worth a try, so check the fluid level.
xflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

I agree with TeJay. The most likely culprit is the little switch at the top of the brake mechanism just to the left of the steering wheel shaft behind the dash. On my Baystar I could not operate the slides when that thing fell off. The Ford Dealer fixed it for free. Your experience may differ.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thanks to you and TeJay for your good advice ...I sincerely appreciate both, especially while on the road. The parking brake is still working normally and diengaging when I release the brke handle with no brking afterwards. Best guess is the switch which will leave alone until I get home.....don't want to get into something unless I have will travelling as long as it's safe. For TeJay, I'm giving the CHF and Five Star a good check out on this trip from northern California to Colorado Springs. CHF is handling very well and the Five Star is big help on shifting in these mountains. Will post results of the parking brake light when I get it fixed.
Thanks to all who responded with help and advice
Schrimscher
Old 10-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad all has worked out for you. Enjoy the remainder of your trip and tie up the loose ends when you get back.

I don't know if or when you purchased the 5-Star tune but all who buy/bought this recently will receive a free update just as soon as they get everything reprogrammed. They have had excellent CS and I'm sure they have lists of recent purchases and will send out the changes just as soon as they possible.

We just got back from a 400 mile trip. Probably 300 of it was windy, hilly and mountainous 2-lane roads here in AR. Beautiful country but still a bugger to drive. As long as I didn't forget to take it off CC and drove with my foot up the hills it was flawless. Easy climbing up inclines, hill and mountains.

I've decided to only use T/H when needing the engine downshifting to provide some extra braking.

Do try this. Use the RES button if you are on CC and want to climb a hill not in CC and don't want to touch the brake to get it out of CC. After you crest the hill touch the RES button and it should RESUME the last CC setting. Not every CC RES button will do that but a lot of them will. Don't ask why some do and some don't because we don't know.

When trying this you should see the green CC light come on and off if the RES button is going to work as an on/off CC switch.

The CHF is still one of the two best things to do to any F-53 chassis. You know what the other one is.

TeJay
Old 10-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Update to my parking brake light staying on........Thanks to all who provided help on the matter. The parking brake system worked good on the entire trip to Colorado and back home to California, so we decided to tolerate a light on situation and deal with it at home. Suspect is the switch and have ordered one from local Ford dealer today.
But, trying to get at the old one is a real problem. It's buried on top of the parking brake bracket deep in the dash console. Took some lower trim pieces off and managed to "wiggle" the switch and wiring.....light stayed on. Don't see how to replace it without pulling ALL the dash out. And that could generate new problems. I'm very tempted to just put up with the light "on". Anyone ever done this job?
Schrimscher
Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

I admire your ambition but after trying to do it myself and failing, I took it to my local Ford dealer who fixed the problem in 1/2 hour. I did not observe how they did it. Sorry.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #12

Parking Brake light

The parking brake light came on while in stop and go traffic. I checked the master cylinder brake fluid level and found that it had built up pressure. I believe it had too much fluid which did not allow for heat expansion. Once the pressure was released by opening the master cylinder cap and removing some fluid the problem went away.
reorbit52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrimscher View Post
Just had the brake system flushed and n ow on a cross-country trip from California to Colorado. About 100 miles from the parking brake light came on and stays on. I checked brake fluid level and brakes all good. No leaks anywhere. Tried to find the parking brake to check fluid level per the manual .....can't find it. Any suggests?
Rig is a 2005 Monaco 34 foot F53 and 22,000 rating.
THanks
Schrimscher
PROBLEM SOLVED Update to this problem and thanks to all the helpful suggestioms.
Recap.....the red parking brake light stayed on but functioned normally otherwise. Finally got it out of the RV shop where they did dug hard to find the problem. Here is the story:
1) They troubleshot the switch mounted on top of the brake pedal assembly by disconnecting the other end of the switch wiring....light stayed on.
2) They checked out another parking brake sensor under the dash and it checked okay, but light stayed on.
3) Finally, they removed the connector to the switch on master cylinder on the outboard side of the master cylinder. LIGHT WENT OUT. Replaced switch and all is well. New switch is called " Brake pressure switch " P/N is
6U9Z 2B264 A Easy access and replace. Swich was $45. It is a small pin-plunger type switch that senses position of something in the master cylinder rather than pressure.

Your rig may be different, but check this switch if you have one, first if your parking brake light is staying on.
Thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving
Schrimscher
Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Schrimscher - Take your VIN # to any Ford dealer and ask them if the Cruise Control recall applies and/or has been complied with.....

That switch on the Master cylinder can short internally and start a fire. The recall (if applicable to your ford) installs a short wiring harness on that switch that has two small fuses that blow in case the switch shorts.

ALSO - If there is a problem with that switch, Ford will replace it free as part of the recall.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light