RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I don't think so. Your correct that the stock muffler has to go and that is next on my list. It's replacement is a Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler) and only cost $50. Last step is the 5 Star Tune. All 3 are much less than the full Banks kit and should improve the V10 performance.

Between the air filter and muffler I've spent $120 so far. Not too bad.
CS
Please keep us posted after you put the BTM muffler in. I am quirious on how it changes the sound of the exhaust. I'm not wanting to add anything that will add excessive exhaust noise for limited performance.

I agree that the 3k all out is not worth it but a economical $50 muffler and intake box mod will help the motor breathe.

2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
CS
Please keep us posted after you put the BTM muffler in. I am quirious on how it changes the sound of the exhaust. I'm not wanting to add anything that will add excessive exhaust noise for limited performance.

I agree that the 3k all out is not worth it but a economical $50 muffler and intake box mod will help the motor breathe.
Haven't put it on the RV yet but I have had the Walker on an F150 and a F350 diesel. There is no really noticeable noise increase. It keeps the noise in check but flows so much better than the stock muffler. It made a bigger improvement on my diesel than the gas F150, more bottom end torque and it felt like the exhaust was breathing better on acceleration.

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crankshaft,

I'm finally getting around to doing the air cleaner modifications. I may get it done today but if not by tomorrow so I'll post some pics.

How much will this MOD help? Don't know and won't try to measure the change. This I know for a fact is that it never hurts to improve an engines ability to breathe. So far I've spent less than $35 for PVC fittings.

I don't disagree with the need for better exhaust flow but I'm not ready to do that just yet. The RV only has 30,000 miles. I am going to do ram-air on both sides of the air box. The stock intake will be turned around and located in front of the grill. The same for the smaller opening on the drivers side. I'll add a funnel to gather in more air.

As for far as the water being ingested that's simple. I look at it this way. We've driven 30,600 miles and 606 engine hours and not more than 25 of those hours were in the rain. If it looks like we are going to have a bad rain I'll stop, lift the hood and swivel the funnels away from the grill opening and slightly towards the rear removing any chance of water getting in.

As far as the air box having water drains yea you are kidding me right. Yes the filter box is slopped sop water will run down. There are two holes spaced along the bottom maybe 3/16" in diameter. One is open to flow water out the other one is setting on top of the metal frame blocking any chance for water flow. Another example of excellent engineering.

As far as the baffle removal. If water get in the small compartment there is no way it can get out. There are no drains in that small compartment except out the 1-1/2" hole but the bottom of the hole is 1/4" off the floor so no water flow. Maybe the air flow is low enough at present to not pickup water?

I see no reason two or more 1/2" holes could be drilled on the air box floor. Any air that enters through those holes is going to be filtered so why the tiny water drain holes that don't flow and could be easily blocked with debris?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
IC2

I put a K&N on my last pickup, an '06 V10. My performance 'feel' never moved, my gas mileage was 7.5/6 towing 12K before and after and 11-12 without before and after. It did have a new throaty sound though.

Payback - well I could wash and reoil the carteidge so I guesss I saved 10-15 bucks every year but still need to factor in the filter oil as well as the can of mass air wire and throttle body cleaner.

This one of those things that if it seems right to you, go for it but a 5 Star Tune would be more to the point and has a real payback.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Air Box MOD

Pic #1. Cut stock Air Box (AB) snorkel off about 2". More needed to be removed. The end of the snorkel and the 90 degree elbow on the stock intake side need to meet inside the rubber collar. That will help keep the air flow smooth.

#2. Two inch opening in AB for 90 degree elbow. That's about as large an opening as you can get with out stuff interfering inside. When the AB is being installed the PVC fitting and all for the drivers side will fit nicely in place with little effort. You do need to cut around where the PVC fitting will come down onto the metal AB. You see the hole in the AB but I didn't show how I cut around the metal box for the 2" PVC to fit in.

# 3. Water drain holes by Ford.

#4. Threaded elbow and threaded fittings. Both fittings on the left are identical except I machined the center one down so it will fit inside the AB and tighten the fitting against both surfaces. To get a shorter threaded collar just cut half of the threaded part off the fitting.

#5. AB installed. All PVC will be painted black. Stock AB opening does not have the down pipe and elbow installed. I need to get the pipe and two funnels installed on the ends to give the ram air effect. That will be done later.

#6. Driver side intake stored for raining. It will be behind the hood.

#7. Rubber collar. This worked very nicely. It fit over the stock snorkel and fit the elbow on the outside of the elbow.

#8. Threaded collar holding the elbow to the AB. It's tightened to the AB with pliers. I may glue it eventually or at least install a small screw so it won't vibrate loose and allow that side to move.

When complete there will be two funnels providing some RAM-AIR into the engine. The PVC and funnels will all be black so it shouldn't look to bad from the front.

To eliminate water ingestion the drivers side funnel will be rotated up and be behind the hood. The stock intake will be rotated from the front 90 degrees and be in much the same position as stock. I believe I might have about $40 invested.

Much thanks to Crankshaft for the initial idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03640.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	222239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03641.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	222240  

Name:	DSC03642.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	222241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03644.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	222242  

Old 10-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
AB MOD continuation!!

Here's the rest of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03645.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	222248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03646.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	222249  

Name:	DSC03648.JPG
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	222250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03649.JPG
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	222251  

Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every knows what they know!

Regardless of the air cleaner box you choose you still have to pick a filter element. You might find this thread interesting reading.

K&N Air Filter for 2008 f53 base

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to another discussion regarding air filters. The discussion is as usual all over the place. Often when some find apparent success with something it's difficult to accept since the sample is limited. There may be some truth to these claims but!!

Paper type OEM air filters vs Synthetic Media - Dusting the Engine

Of all the posts on the link below I like and agree with 2,3,5 & 6. They pointed out some interesting information. Most any new filter will supply enough air for an engine. We are not racing and do most driving in a somewhat clean environment. I'll stick with a stock Ford AF.

As one poster said they do a lot of research and work to assure the engine will breath clean air. Fifteen bucks a year for an air filter is cheap insurance against dirt in the engine.

I'm always open for new solid information and will change my opinion and thinking if the information supports it. For now I'll error on the side of caution and use Ford OEM paper elements.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
tcg

My used 1996 E350 came with a K&N. I found out when I took it in for it's first oil change.

I had no idea what it was so I had them put in a new filter so I could research the fancy filter.

I bought the cleaning kit and cleaned it but I never got around to swapping it back out.

No idea if it gave a performance boost or better gas mileage. It wasn't that hard to clean but the reason I pay for an oil change is so my hands don't get dirty so I'll probablly never clean it again. It is in my storage bay as a spare.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
tcg,

I've been in both camps based on the information that I had at the time. First of all I don't ascribe to the thinking that MODS intended to improve fuel mileage really work. The average folks have no idea what the industry has done and is still doing to improve fuel mileage. It sells cars/trucks etc and the FEDS tell them they have to. Here's just a few examples.

This came from an engineer I met in a CG in MI. He told me of just a few things they are researching to reduce electrical demands which will slightly reduce the magnetic field in the alternator so it will take less energy to turn therefore slightly improving fuel economy. They are redesigning blower motors using permanent magnetics instead of field wingdings to decrease the needed electricity. The little race cars use permanent magnetics.

They have experimented with using automatic louvers on wheel covers to reduce air drag at highway speeds improving fuel economy. Some truck tail gates have a slight lip protruding out at the top which very slightly improves its aerodynamics again improving fuel economy.

The big push to have more gears in the transmission (8, 9, 10 and more) as well as a lot of torque converter lock up between gears which reduces the time the transmission is slipping wasting energy.

If they are working on all of this and much, much more if the K & N air filters really did work to even a slight degree they would already be installed on most vehicles.

If magnetics really did improve fuel mileage when placed around your fuel line then Detroit would already do it. They'd just run the fuel line in around or through the alternator so it could be polarized/magnetized to improve fuel mileage. They don't do it because it doesn't work.

Sometime in the mid 90'so our intelligent school district spent $14,000 to add a set of magnetics ($200 per bus) to all the school buses. WHY??? A new superintendent from a near by district told our transportation super it would work. The super never asked me. Why would he? I was just a shop Teacher of auto mechanics. I couldn't possible know the answer to that question. How do I know?? The mechanic who installed them called and told me to look for them. I checked my bus and they were there.

This thread is about improving the F-53 Air Box. This type of vehicle is low on the totem pole when it comes to fuel mileage as are most big rigs. The actual number of vehicles percentage wise is very, very small compared to all the passenger cars and trucks. That's the reason why Ford won't spend a lot of $$$$ improving fuel mileage. In the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards these vehicles are insignificant. That's why it an average fuel economy. They have to figure all vehicles sold annually.

Back in the 80's and 90's Detroit still made high performance cars and they sold a lot of them. They were restricted as to how many they could sell so it wouldn't mess up their CAFE standards but they could sell some and they did. The last I heard they make about 100 Corvettes a day and they are all sold.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Right onTeJay !! Benn there done that
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Here's the rest of the pics.
Job well done, looks great. I like your design, the adjustable intakes is a great idea.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Here's a link to another discussion regarding air filters. The discussion is as usual all over the place. Often when some find apparent success with something it's difficult to accept since the sample is limited. There may be some truth to these claims but!!

Paper type OEM air filters vs Synthetic Media - Dusting the Engine

Of all the posts on the link below I like and agree with 2,3,5 & 6. They pointed out some interesting information. Most any new filter will supply enough air for an engine. We are not racing and do most driving in a somewhat clean environment. I'll stick with a stock Ford AF.

As one poster said they do a lot of research and work to assure the engine will breath clean air. Fifteen bucks a year for an air filter is cheap insurance against dirt in the engine.

I'm always open for new solid information and will change my opinion and thinking if the information supports it. For now I'll error on the side of caution and use Ford OEM paper elements.
Here's my take on the paper vs synthetic air filters. The main reason I looked at the AFE filters was after getting the stock air filter wet which resulted in poor driveability. The synthetic filters don't absorb water. I've tested that theory a few times already.

As for dusting the engine or not cleaning the intake air as good as an OEM filter, I have to ask how could a company like AFE (I'm not a K&N fan) still be in business all these years without having a serious issue from it's customers? Yes, there may be untold stories and lawsuits we don't hear about but that company would be out of business if it's filters were ruing engines.

I change the oil every 10K miles. Every time it's done a sample is sent in for analysis. I'll be the first to say that if anything is off in the report that can be traced back to the intake not only will I put stock filter back in but I'll be all over AFE.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Crankshaft,

I'm finally getting around to doing the air cleaner modifications. I may get it done today but if not by tomorrow so I'll post some pics.

How much will this MOD help? Don't know and won't try to measure the change. This I know for a fact is that it never hurts to improve an engines ability to breathe. So far I've spent less than $35 for PVC fittings.

I don't disagree with the need for better exhaust flow but I'm not ready to do that just yet. The RV only has 30,000 miles. I am going to do ram-air on both sides of the air box. The stock intake will be turned around and located in front of the grill. The same for the smaller opening on the drivers side. I'll add a funnel to gather in more air.

As for far as the water being ingested that's simple. I look at it this way. We've driven 30,600 miles and 606 engine hours and not more than 25 of those hours were in the rain. If it looks like we are going to have a bad rain I'll stop, lift the hood and swivel the funnels away from the grill opening and slightly towards the rear removing any chance of water getting in.

As far as the air box having water drains yea you are kidding me right. Yes the filter box is slopped sop water will run down. There are two holes spaced along the bottom maybe 3/16" in diameter. One is open to flow water out the other one is setting on top of the metal frame blocking any chance for water flow. Another example of excellent engineering.

As far as the baffle removal. If water get in the small compartment there is no way it can get out. There are no drains in that small compartment except out the 1-1/2" hole but the bottom of the hole is 1/4" off the floor so no water flow. Maybe the air flow is low enough at present to not pickup water?

I see no reason two or more 1/2" holes could be drilled on the air box floor. Any air that enters through those holes is going to be filtered so why the tiny water drain holes that don't flow and could be easily blocked with debris?
The only way to measure if it works or is working is by the seat of your pants. Sometimes I can feel a difference, other times not.

I still haven't done the muffler, can't find anyone who want to tackle it. The stock muffler sits next to the driveshaft. The replacement muffler is longer but smaller in diameter. It should fit with plenty of clearance. I really want it welded in place but looks like it's going to get installed with band clamps.

I had never thought about an adjustable intake. Our luck lately has been getting caught in the rain. With the add on air intake and the stock air intake, we haven't pulled much rain in. I check the filter once we get home, it's been dry although the bottom of the airbox is a bit damp. We might need bigger drain holes in the box too.

Did you remove the baffle your air box?

Once the muffler is on I'm going to get a 5 Star tune. That should round out and take advantage of all these mods.

Tags
air