Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #1

Performance air filter?

has anyone here replaced just there air filter with a performance filter and is it worth the extra money? Unless changing out to a better cold air package is easy would also consider that as well.

Thanks
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #2

I've done both when I had my '98 GMC truck. I bought the truck new and when the factory air filter needed replacement I bought a K&N. It lasted the life of the truck until I sold it 180,000 miles later. It did the job is was supposed to do and that was filter the air. Despite marketing claims it did nothing to enhance performance but it did save me some money not having to replace it when dirty so the bit of money saved put in the win column.

As for the cold air intake at best it was nothing more than a noise maker. If you like induction roar go for it. If not save the money for more important things like toilet chemicals.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The cold air intake will provide some minor performance gain. Is it worth the cost? Probably not. It does make noise if you press the gas pedal too hard and when climbing. Normal driving not really noticeable.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

I put the Banks Stinger and CAI on last year.

Did it make a difference?.... Hell ya!
(did you expect me to say "no" after spending that kinda dough?)

Probably not worth the $$$$$ but I like to modify my stuff with shiny parts that look cool or hi performance

But seriously, it feels a little more powerful,

I find frequently I can back off of the accelerator and maintain the same speed

That should equate to better MPGs but No noticeable gains
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukester View Post
has anyone here replaced just there air filter with a performance filter and is it worth the extra money? Unless changing out to a better cold air package is easy would also consider that as well.

Thanks
Mark
I did the banks intake kit on our last coach, purchased thru 5 star tuning, free tune when purchased from them. Easy install but i saw or felt no percievable improvement in power or anything. On our new to use coach i purchased a new tune from 5 star but passed on the banks air intake kit, not worth the $$$. Probably would have some value if you did the whole kit, headers, intake mufflers, and tune.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a dry (no oil) performance air filter. Made a difference in my V10. Seems to have a bit more power, shifts differently, cruise control even works better. Gas mileage did go down a bit even though we still set the cruise control at 62 MPH. We have only taken it out once with the new filter, have another trip coming up, hopefully the MPG will be better.

aFe POWER 31-10122 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #7

I installed a K&N filter. There was no difference in performance or gas mileage. The only improvement is that it can be cleaned and used over again. Would I do it again? Maybe.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
I installed a K&N filter. There was no difference in performance or gas mileage. The only improvement is that it can be cleaned and used over again. Would I do it again? Maybe.
Have you taken a look inside the stock airbox? There is a baffle in there. We're only using 2/3rds of the air filter. Take the baffle out and get all the air you can. I found this out when I took my OEM filter out and 2/3rds was dirty and the rest looked brand new. It should make a difference.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The stock air filter

Baffle in airbox

Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Baffle is to stop water intrusion, i would leave it in.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Baffle is to stop water intrusion, i would leave it in.
Well, based on the information from the Ford V10 forums, the baffle is gone. Water can get sucked into the air box by the main air intake. My air filter was damp when I pulled it out. There is the small capped inlet on the front of the air box too. Air/water can get in there too, that cap isn't exactly tight. I added another air inlet off of it. The bottom of the box has drainage all the way across the entire box.

If you look at the Banks air box it looks to me that it has a better chance of sucking water in vs the stock box.

Ford used this air box in dozens and dozens of vehicles with all kinds of engines. One part number, many uses. In the case of the V10, it's a high CFM engine and opening up the box gives it what it wants. The dry, high flow air filter did change it for the better. I am going to test it with a new stock filter just for comparison on the next trip.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #12

Cold air intake, on its own, does improve performance, but the gain is minimal. Without hooking up a reader and logging the data (before and after the change), it's a gain that most drivers won't notice.

It really doesn't do a whole lot of good to open up the airway for the beast to breathe in if it is still restricted when it wants to exhale. So, to really achieve noticeable performance gains, you would need to do the Cold Air and a good exhaust system.

Then to take real advantage of those shiny parts, you would want to put in a new tune, be it 5 Star or another custom tune.

So, imho, Cold Air Intake is not worth it unless you want to go all out.

Then the question becomes; Is it worth $3k to go all out?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #13

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I liked the TRD cold air intake on my '07 Tacoma, washable filter, nice looking air box and tubing, nice intake sound when on the gas. When I started towing a TT the nice intake sound became a major irritant over the long haul up a grade. Much prefer the totally stock quiet of my F-150.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post
Cold air intake, on its own, does improve performance, but the gain is minimal. Without hooking up a reader and logging the data (before and after the change), it's a gain that most drivers won't notice.

It really doesn't do a whole lot of good to open up the airway for the beast to breathe in if it is still restricted when it wants to exhale. So, to really achieve noticeable performance gains, you would need to do the Cold Air and a good exhaust system.

Then to take real advantage of those shiny parts, you would want to put in a new tune, be it 5 Star or another custom tune.

So, imho, Cold Air Intake is not worth it unless you want to go all out.

Then the question becomes; Is it worth $3k to go all out?
I don't think so. Your correct that the stock muffler has to go and that is next on my list. It's replacement is a Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler) and only cost $50. Last step is the 5 Star Tune. All 3 are much less than the full Banks kit and should improve the V10 performance.

Between the air filter and muffler I've spent $120 so far. Not too bad.

Tags
air