RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
If P0171 is the only code

1) Clean the MAF sensor. Its in the air filter housing. A dirty MAF will give the wrong airflow measurement, thus causing a lean code.

2) Visually inspect the intake hose/tube and vacumn hoses for any cracks, leaks, etc. Un-measured air leaking into the bank can cause a lean mixture.

3) Replace the O2 sensor. A faulty O2 sensor can provide faulty measurement, and be interpreted as a lean mixture.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If P0171 is the only code

1) Clean the MAF sensor. Its in the air filter housing. A dirty MAF will give the wrong airflow measurement, thus causing a lean code.

2) Visually inspect the intake hose/tube and vacumn hoses for any cracks, leaks, etc. Un-measured air leaking into the bank can cause a lean mixture.

3) Replace the O2 sensor. A faulty O2 sensor can provide faulty measurement, and be interpreted as a lean mixture.
Dont think you have a sensor after cat converter. Think you only have the 2. Still cheap enough to replace in any case.

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #17
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Dont think you have a sensor after cat converter. Think you only have the 2. Still cheap enough to replace in any case.
I'm not sure about a 2004, but I think it only has two. These control the mixture when in closed loop.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #18

I will clean map sensor. I don’t think it has a vacuum leak because code came cancelled out
Traveled 1,200 miles before code came back. Will change o 2 sensors when I get home in 3 months. They have been taken out a short time ago w hen I had new manifolds replaced.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
I will clean map sensor. I donít think it has a vacuum leak because code came cancelled out
Traveled 1,200 miles before code came back. Will change o 2 sensors when I get home in 3 months. They have been taken out a short time ago w hen I had new manifolds replaced.
Check the connection on those and also sometimes they can be cleaned
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #20

Should you need or decide to change o2s most auto parts stores will lend you the socket for free.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have four O2 sensors, two upstream to control fuel mixture (bank 1 & bank 2) and two downstream usually in the cats for catalyst efficiency monitors as part of the OBDII standards.

Usually a dirty MAF will give both banks lean P0171 & P0174. The MAF measures total in-coming air before the throttle body and can't make one bank lean or rich over the other bank. Of course it won't hurt to clean it.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_lean_codes.htm
Old 01-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #22

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
I would recommend you go to a Ford savvy tech. and have the vehicle put on a computer scanner and have the tech. monitor the 02 activity and the short term fuel trims. This will rule one or the other out as the cause.
It doesn't take much of a leak to trip a lean code. A cracked vacuum line is often the culprit. Bad intake manifold gaskets are a possibility as well as gaskets around the throttle body
If there is a vacuum leak, (short term fuel trims will be high positive) a well equipped shop will be equipped with a smoke machine used primarily for finding leaks in EVAP systems. These machines can also be adapted to introduce smoke into the intake system. The throttle body has to be plugged off. I have found numerous vacuum leaks using this method.
You will see some smoke come out of the exhaust when the test is being done. Nothing to be alarmed about. The smoke entering from the intake manifold into the combustion chamber through an open intake valve can exit through an exhaust valve when valve overlap occurs. Just ignore this smoke. It's normal.
I prefer to pin point the actual cause of a sympton or code rather than throw needless parts and money at it.
It could be an O2 sensor but the scan tool will show the switching on the sensor either very slow or not switching at all. If the sensor is locked in the rich side the fuel trims will be low or most likely negative. The computer is taking fuel away to compensate. If the O2 is locked lean the computer will add fuel to compensate and the fuel trims will be high in the positive.
This can be tested by pulling a large vacuum hose off the intake or wherever it is accessible. The O2 sensors will go rich quickly. If you spray starting fluid (gently) into the throttle body the O2's should switch to lean.
Lynn
Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #23

Thanks all information is appreciated.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #24

If both manifolds were replaced possible intake leak IF running rough. If running ok then sensor is bad or they mistakenly swapped sensor wires.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #25

A good way to check for and find vacuum leaks is to take a 2-3 foot length of vacuum or windshield washer hose with one end very close to your ear, move the hose around all vacuum hoses and intake hoses listening for hissing or sucking sounds. If you have a mechanics stethascope you can use this with the metal probe and plastic diaphram removed.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
A good way to check for and find vacuum leaks is to take a 2-3 foot length of vacuum or windshield washer hose with one end very close to your ear, move the hose around all vacuum hoses and intake hoses listening for hissing or sucking sounds. If you have a mechanics stethascope you can use this with the metal probe and plastic diaphram removed.
Use a small smoke generator and watch were smoke gets sucked into leak. Also good for intake man. Leaks.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #27

Thanks every one I can’t work on it in the park I am in so will wait until I get home n April
Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #28

The F-53 does not have a catalyst efficiency sensor downstream of the catalytic converter.

I chased the same issue by replacing both O2 sensors. That code would come back at odd times. The number 1 bank is the passenger side. With the doghouse off, look at all of the vacuum connections that come in on that side. My leak was from the fuel tank vapor evacuation relay, and that's why it was intermittent. The hose was routed in such a way that it was rubbed through by a brace in the engine compartment.

If you do decide to replace the O2 sensors, use a proper sensor socket. The ones with the split for the pigtail will need to be reinforced with a hose clamp to keep it from spreading open and rounding the flats. Use lots of heat too. I broke my crowsfoot on the driver side sensor! I also chased both bungs with a sensor bottoming tap.

DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote