Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
They couldn't afford the fuel to get it out of the driveway
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
They couldn't afford the fuel to get it out of the driveway

As I recall Prom they may not want to actually "go" anywhere. But your driveway might be awkward. LOL

Still, good idea to lock it up tight.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
What's wrong with a supercharged motorhome? Makes a lot of sense to me, especially at altitudes.

There's a ton of room on my Class-A chassis around that V10.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Let us know how it works out.
Buy one for me and I'll signup to test it.
There's nothing wrong with moderately tuned forced induction systems, especially when managed by modern EFI systems. We have timing control, fuel control, detonation detection and modern superchargers (Eaton) are actually fairly efficient...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Buy one for me and I'll signup to test it.
There's nothing wrong with moderately tuned forced induction systems, especially when managed by modern EFI systems. We have timing control, fuel control, detonation detection and modern superchargers (Eaton) are actually fairly efficient...

It is also more to break and cause to you pull over and a mod of that significance could void your warranty if you still have one.

On the other hand, I supercharged two cars (Miata and Porsche) over the years and never had one break. Did have fuel mapping problems with the Porsche though; eventually sorted it out.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
It is also more to break and cause to you pull over and a mod of that significance could void your warranty if you still have one.
Roll
That's possible. Anything that puts down more power creates more stress. It's a fallacy, however, that bolting on "part A" will void your warranty... That includes superchargers. If the part did not cause the failure, the warranty still applies. Ref: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Again, I'm talking about appropriately managed power adders. Although it is possible to stuff more air into a motor, doing so without appropriately controlling fuel, timing, and airflow is bound to cause problems.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
That's possible. Anything that puts down more power creates more stress. It's a fallacy, however, that bolting on "part A" will void your warranty... That includes superchargers. If the part did not cause the failure, the warranty still applies. Ref: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Again, I'm talking about appropriately managed power adders. Although it is possible to stuff more air into a motor, doing so without appropriately controlling fuel, timing, and airflow is bound to cause problems.

Agree.

I did have a serious engine problem with the Porsche, worn main bearings. They pointed at the SC at said that was the reason. Extreme stress. I only ran 4-5 psi. I knew that using the car for instructional performance driving at MidOhio had put it through the ringer so I was unable to put forward a winning argument. Dumped the car and moved on.

Magnuson-Moss, sure, but they will still challenge the warranty; makers don't just roll over. So if you do the mod, be prepared to wage a battle if something goes wrong. There is the way it should work and then the way it does work. :-)
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #37

Thanks for all the replies. I think this is opportunity here to cut teeth and try something new and bring it back to the forum. Maybe I will get around to it at some point. I think a little boost in the mountains would be welcomed.. it doesnt have to be 15lbs, but a few pounds will go a long way.... Have you ever tried driving a Turbo Diesel without the Turbo? Just sayin, that Turbo is what makes it what it is. I think a Gasser could have some of that magic also.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Man, just 1-2 psi in the mountains would make a huge difference.
As a few of you are aware, Toyota trucks were used on motorhomes. They're already anemic as trucks, I can't imagine them as a motorhome.

Anyway - same base motor with a turbo:

Bolting on a turbo was easy, it was replacing the 1980s fuel injection system that was the hard part. This isn't a motorhome, it's a 4-runner, but same concept and exactly the same motor.. The change made the 4runner entirely different in terms of drive-ability. No more downshifting to 3rd in the hill country. In the mountains, I'm sure the difference is dramatic.

Here's the superchaged version (earlier) that I did. The one is early enough that it was carb'd. Carbs won't run on inclines, so I adapted a TBI unit from a Chevrolet and again, used a programmable fuel injection system to control it:

The modern Eaton blowers are much better and much more efficient than the supercharger that I was using...

The ultimate "Toyota Motorhome" Would be a SunRaider (fiberglass, sought after and one of my motors... Just another 20-30hp and the ability to hold power in the moutains against altitude. It's on my to-do list, but my wife is spoiled by the 7mpg V10 class A.

I won't do the V-10 that we have now, mainly because I don't plan on keeping it for a long time. I would, however, strongly consider a 7.3L turbo rig if the right one came up...
Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just what the world needs! A nitrous supercharged 20,000+ lbs. vehicle going 85 MPH (now legal) getting 2-4 MPG pulling a full size SUV driven by a non-thinker that can't stop.....
Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48
Just what the world needs! A nitrous supercharged 20,000+ lbs. vehicle going 85 MPH (now legal) getting 2-4 MPG pulling a full size SUV driven by a non-thinker that can't stop.....
Time to form a new oganization:
N.M.H.R.A. (National Motorhome Hot Rod Association)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I think you guys are missing (my) point... Or perhaps I'm not making one.
These are not hot-rods. They're simply adapted for reasonable performance. We're talking about motors that put out 80-90hp at the rear wheels. Boosting them by 50% simply means that they are reasonable to drive in hills. If I wanted a hot-rod, I'd drop in an LS-1.

Personally, adding something like this doesn't adjust my highway speed. It simply means that I'm not dropping into 2nd and holding it all the way some hill in New Mexico. Forced induction can adjust for density altitude...

The cost of having more power on tap is marginal. Using that power does cost, as you've got to keep that air/fuel ratio in line.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I think you guys are missing (my) point... Or perhaps I'm not making one.
These are not hot-rods. They're simply adapted for reasonable performance. We're talking about motors that put out 80-90hp at the rear wheels. Boosting them by 50% simply means that they are reasonable to drive in hills. If I wanted a hot-rod, I'd drop in an LS-1.

Personally, adding something like this doesn't adjust my highway speed. It simply means that I'm not dropping into 2nd and holding it all the way some hill in New Mexico. Forced induction can adjust for density altitude...

The cost of having more power on tap is marginal. Using that power does cost, as you've got to keep that air/fuel ratio in line.

Tags
ford, power, v10