Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Problem Gassing F53

For 58,000 miles I have had no problem gassing up. Yesterday I filled at a Valero station in CA. The first $150 went in just fine. After swiping the card again the next $7 worth went in normally and then the pump shut off. I knew I was no where near full. Each time I tried to pump more gas it shut off. I finally had to pull the nozzle out most of the way and very slowly run the gas so it wouldn't shut off. It took me 20 minutes to load the last 20 gallons or so. Now I don't know what to expect on the two day (two fill-up) trip home. Anyone know what is going on?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
For 58,000 miles I have had no problem gassing up. Yesterday I filled at a Valero station in CA. The first $150 went in just fine. After swiping the card again the next $7 worth went in normally and then the pump shut off. I knew I was no where near full. Each time I tried to pump more gas it shut off. I finally had to pull the nozzle out most of the way and very slowly run the gas so it wouldn't shut off. It took me 20 minutes to load the last 20 gallons or so. Now I don't know what to expect on the two day (two fill-up) trip home. Anyone know what is going on?
I had a pump do that on a recent trip. I moved to a different pump, and it worked fine. Problem seems to have been with the pump itself. Best I can offer is that you'll know next time you try to fill it.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Mine does that at times and it’s infuriating because it takes so long to fill. Based on my experience, it was that pump. See how your next fill goes.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I had a pump do that on a recent trip. I moved to a different pump, and it worked fine. Problem seems to have been with the pump itself. Best I can offer is that you'll know next time you try to fill it.

Wow, that would be great. I sure hope you two are correct. In camp now for a couple of weeks, so not easy to tell.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Wow, that would be great. I sure hope you two are correct. In camp now for a couple of weeks, so not easy to tell.
Best wishes to you. My experience wasn't exactly the same. I started pumping, and it kept shutting off. I paid for the two gallons I'd gotten and drove forward one pump.

Report back when you find out. (fingers crossed for you)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, I've had the same problem with the occasional pump. I think it has to do with the nozzle pressure sensor for the automatic shutoff. Sometimes I have to twist the nozzle to one side.
I've had a different problem. The way the fuel and vent lines run from the filler to the tank, I have a real problem pumping if the coach is pointed uphill, the vent line gets gas in it and the pressure buildup in the tank (or fuel staying in the filler line) makes the gas pump nozzle shut off. I have taken to dropping my rear jacks on more than one occasion to level out the coach (or angle it downhill a little).
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
I've had a different problem. The way the fuel and vent lines run from the filler to the tank, I have a real problem pumping if the coach is pointed uphill, the vent line gets gas in it and the pressure buildup in the tank (or fuel staying in the filler line) makes the gas pump nozzle shut off. I have taken to dropping my rear jacks on more than one occasion to level out the coach (or angle it downhill a little).

I didn't notice any real level issue when we had this problem. I know this varies coach to coach, but how does one see the fill and vent lines running from the fill port to the tank? Mine are all hidden inside.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

My Georgetown does it whether it's facing downhill or uphill. I know when it clicks off I can still get at least 10 gals in the tank...but it takes forever. I've looked at my vent pipe and it's maybe slightly kinked where they bent it, but I don't want to try to make it round again for fear of splitting it open or something. Tried twisting the nozzle..blah blah blah ... no difference. I'll just fill less the 10 gals.

Jaye
Mnflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My lines are exposed. They run downhill a little, then horizontal to the tank (up closer to the rear axle area) then back uphill to the top of the tank. I first noticed the problem several years ago when filling up at a really sloping fuel island. Put about $3 in the tank and it shut off. Looked in the filler tube and it was full of gas.
Still the problem seems to vary from pump to pump. A lot of times I have to hold the nozzle 'barely on' for the last 1/4 tank or so.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SInce you've had no problem before I would add my 2 cents that it was just the pump sensor. Hopefully you will not have anymore problems on your way home.

IF YOU DO I would suspect that your vent line plugged up which may be only a temp thing. My old F53 would do the same thing as fuel backed up to far in the fill line and back filled the vent line. Another time it was my fill line that had gotten soft over time and the heat caused it to kink about 6 inches from the opening that caused a lot of filling problems.

Let us know how your trip home goes.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

On our 6000 mile trip last year, the only times I had this same issue was in California. In California I find that I need to tend the nozzle and sometimes hold the nozzle in the sweet spot. Oh yes, I live in California and have this issue all of the time.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #12

I removed my F53 fuel tank to service the pump and I discovered the plastic ball in the vent tube, put new hose on between filler and pipe to tank...now it makes me just fill real slow or it'll shut off. Wonder what I did wrong? Always fueled normally before I worked on it.
kenvohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvohs View Post
I removed my F53 fuel tank to service the pump and I discovered the plastic ball in the vent tube, put new hose on between filler and pipe to tank...now it makes me just fill real slow or it'll shut off. Wonder what I did wrong? Always fueled normally before I worked on it.

Did you remove the plastic ball in the vent tube?
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #14

We've had this issue too at times. For us, it is the specific pump. The next fuel stop we have no problem. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, gas, problem