RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Problem loading 5 Star Tuner

Have a 2016 Itasca Sunstar. Ordered the tuner, after verifying the code, which was PRW5, several,times. Received it today, very quick turnaround. Tried loading it and the message "Vehicle Unsupported" comes up. Tried several times and followed the directions, used the USB cable to plug into the coach computer and it powers on, goes thru the sequence, but when I go to the tune step, that message comes up with a code TFZP1A2. Anyone have any suggestions? I called and left a message for Chris or Mike, but wondering if anyone has expierences this.

larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #2

I didn't have any problem loading it. But my manual shifting capabilities using the shift lever disappeared after installing the 5 Star tune. Any ideas?
Mike said the 5 Star tune doesn't touch that aspect. However, after re-installing the OEM Ford tune, the manual shifting ability magically reappeared.

WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
5 Star Tuning problem

Solved!! Nick, from 5 Star called and walked me through it and loaded without a hitch. I was an idiot and did not realize that my custom tune was the 87 tune, meaning octane. I just needed to scroll down one more line. Going on a couple hundred mile shake down trip the week, will see how it performs.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Please give us feedback. I installed mine last year and love it. We drive a lot in the hills of Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. I t made a world of difference. I hated that abrupt downshift to 3rd.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

5 star tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Please give us feedback. I installed mine last year and love it. We drive a lot in the hills of Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. I t made a world of difference. I hated that abrupt downshift to 3rd.
I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
I contacted Mike he said they don't do anything in the tune that would affect that. I did a side by side comparison on the hilly road to my house and on a flat road from a dead stop.
With the Ford tune I had total manual shift capability, upshifted and downshifted uphill and downhill with the shifter. From a dead stop, with the shifter in 3, the trans would start off in 1, shift to 2 and shift to 3, where it would stay, until I stopped again where the process would start over. The same happened with the shifter in 2.
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.
So, to me that conclusively proves that the 5 Star tune is at fault.
With the area I live in, I need the ability to manually shift the trans up or down depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill.
I've removed the 5 Star tune and put Ford's back in. Looks like I have a $400+ paper weight from 5 Star.
I'm really disappointed, since the product and product support got rave reviews here. That hasn't been my experience.

Back to the screaming downshifts.

Has anyone else had these issues besides me? If so, has Mike resolved it?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
I contacted Mike he said they don't do anything in the tune that would affect that. I did a side by side comparison on the hilly road to my house and on a flat road from a dead stop.
With the Ford tune I had total manual shift capability, upshifted and downshifted uphill and downhill with the shifter. From a dead stop, with the shifter in 3, the trans would start off in 1, shift to 2 and shift to 3, where it would stay, until I stopped again where the process would start over. The same happened with the shifter in 2.
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.
With the area I live in, I need the ability to manually shift the trans up or down depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill.
I've removed the 5 Star tune and put Ford's back in. Looks like I have a $400+ paper weight from 5 Star.
I'm really disappointed, since the product and product support got rave reviews here. That hasn't been my experience.

I dont mean to support threadjacking but in this case looks like the OP has found his resolution anyways lol.

I would recommend making a video of exactly how you are doing the tune. Everything you do. Take a video (maybe put a paper with current date/time in video) of you using the shifter in stock mode, and then take another video after recording the tune, and SHOW mike that the tune is somehow disabling your manual-shift.

Its possible that there is a pcm variation that they have not accounted for and its simply a programming glitch. Nonetheless, you paid for a product that is not working properly and I wouldnt give up until its resolved to satisfaction. I dont have the tune myself, but after reading rave reviews on it I was debating ordering one.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

5 star tune

I'm sending the Tune back to Mike for a refund.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

This may be a dumb question but is there any way to tell if a motor home has the 5 Star Tuner installed by a previous owner?

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
One way is by the way it downshifts and your rpm increase. But contact Mike at 5 Star.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I didn't have any problem loading it. But my manual shifting capabilities using the shift lever disappeared after installing the 5 Star tune. Any ideas?
Mike said the 5 Star tune doesn't touch that aspect. However, after re-installing the OEM Ford tune, the manual shifting ability magically reappeared.
No reason that the tune should be interfering with the manual shifting. We make no adjustments to the manual capabilities (we want you to have full control in this mode). In all of our vehicles we still have the option to shift manually including all the way down to the F150's. Only thing I can think of is possibly trying a different device just to see if that is the hold up.

Chris
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
This may be a dumb question but is there any way to tell if a motor home has the 5 Star Tuner installed by a previous owner?
The primary way to tell is in how the vehicle operates does it still show the stock downshifting symptoms? There are ways to tell with a tuning device, but not many without a device.
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:

You posted this exact same post in another thread. There was a long discussion about it. You've talked to Mike. I think that's about the end of your story.