Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Problem with my 6 speed?

I have a 2016 WBG 31BE, with the 6 speed. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it.
I see no difference between normal or tow/haul mode. I press the button, tow?haul indicator comes on and nothing else happens. Shifts the same and I get absolutely no downshift when I tap on the brakes. Single tap, multiple taps, nothing.
I recently came down some pretty good grades and had to physically move the shift lever to lower gears.
Man, I hope it isn't something other than maybe a program error...
I hate to have to find a dealer to take it to. Its currently at CW getting a few issues repaired. Now it looks like I'm going to lose more time at the Ford dealership.
Dang!
Anyone of you ever have the same issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sounds like a ecm glitch....
you would think...being as heavy as the RV is, the computer would by default be in the tow haul mode.

but yes it should gently downshift if it can, engine rpm wise in the tow haul
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I realize 5 Star probably won't fix it but if it were me I'd send an e-mail to Chris at 5 Star and see if they have any suggestions. Yes I realize that it's Fords problem but still Chris may have a suggestion.

I might just disconnect the battery and that would effectively reboot the system maybe. It sure won't hurt anything. Something else to consider. I'm thinking that if a real issue does exist maybe a engine code will occur setting the MIL (Maintenance indicator light). The MIL is supposed to come on when something occurs that effects the emissions. That may also be tied into the A/T if it fails to deliver.

Most of the above is just a guess. I've been away from this stuff for 10 years so I'm sure things have changed.

You might also just call or stop into a Ford garage and quiz the service writer (SW). It would be best to find one that does work on the newer transmission or at least an RV dealer. Maybe just talking to them they might have a suggestion or an idea. Sometime the guys behind the counter can help.

Also with something this new they may be just getting a few owners with issues on the A/T. Not enough complaints to issue a TSB but enough to alert the dealers of some problem.

I was in about a month ago concerned about or Ford Fusion. The A/T was kind of shifting funny. I asked if there were TSB on the shifting issues and the SW said nothing but he'd let me know if he heard anything.

TeJay
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Others have noticed this issue.

Another 6 speed thread

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Well then, I guess I'm not the only one! I really hope Ford does recognize there's a problem and rectifies it. It is a little scary sometimes!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhol5 View Post
Well then, I guess I'm not the only one! I really hope Ford does recognize there's a problem and rectifies it. It is a little scary sometimes!
same problem here not only scary,,, but dangerous

you should not use your brakes to control down hill speed...
you should use the engine and trans,...

my coach flat runs away on the down hill..same as stated ... tow/haul or not...

the only time mine works is if I hit the down hill in cruise control... say at 62 mph..... soon as it starts to gain speed it starts down shifting..

but... if you tap the brakes... that goes away and it starts gaining speed and runs away...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Personally, I had a tendency not to press the brake long enough for tow/haul to downshift and finally figured out I had to hold foot on brake longer for tow/haul downshift to work. Other thing I figured out is that tow/haul won't downshift if the RPM that would result is too high for what Ford programmed into the ECM as the highest RPM they like for engine braking.

( I am not sure what too high is but it seems to be under 5,000 )
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Personally, I had a tendency not to press the brake long enough for tow/haul to downshift and finally figured out I had to hold foot on brake longer for tow/haul downshift to work. Other thing I figured out is that tow/haul won't downshift if the RPM that would result is too high for what Ford programmed into the ECM as the highest RPM they like for engine braking.

you have a 5 speed.... I never had the problem with any of the 5 speeds I owned or have driven...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Haven't had a chance to try it yet on mine since I live in flat FL. Will be heading up to SC this weekend though and may get a chance.

Very disappointing if tow-haul doesn't work as advertised, sound like another TSB for the 2016 chassis.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

This would make sense, the 2016 engine rpm cap seems to be 4200 now but 5000 before. This would mean less flexibility it downshifting, you would need to use the brakes to slow the MH enough so it could downshift and still be under 4200.

You would think the engine would not be limited to 4200 for engine braking purposes, only in up-shift threshold. You would get more noise going down-hill but have more engine braking ability too.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #11

WOW mine is just the opposite from what I have been reading.. Mine works just like our 5 speed did in tow haul but with less dramatic or sever down shifts.. But here is the real catch.. If we are not in tow haul and a big hill jumps out all of a sudden it will still do the downshifts as if it were in tow haul.. All other times it works fine in normal mode unless we hit a hill before I hit the T/H button..I would think this is a nice safety feature.

On another note before we got our new unit we had to wait a couple days extra because Ford had to install an updated shift cable.. Make sure yours has it on the 6 speed
barnmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnmother View Post
WOW mine is just the opposite from what I have been reading.. Mine works just like our 5 speed did in tow haul but with less dramatic or sever down shifts.. But here is the real catch.. If we are not in tow haul and a big hill jumps out all of a sudden it will still do the downshifts as if it were in tow haul.. All other times it works fine in normal mode unless we hit a hill before I hit the T/H button..I would think this is a nice safety feature.

On another note before we got our new unit we had to wait a couple days extra because Ford had to install an updated shift cable.. Make sure yours has it on the 6 speed

How does one know if they have the updated shift cable, and what's different about it?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhol5 View Post
[/COLOR]

How does one know if they have the updated shift cable, and what's different about it?
I would guess you would need to get a hold of your factory rep and give him the Vin number.. I was told the original cable was to short if I remember correct for the 6 speed..
barnmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #14

I'm one of the new owners of the revised V-10 with the 6 speed and it has yet to down-shift going down a grade. First time I exited off the interstate into a rest area is when I discovered...oh crap!! I did email Chris at 5-Star and waiting on a response. Hopefully their tune can "fix" this issue. The response I received from one Ford dealer was..."I don't know".

Steve
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote