RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #29

I even put them on my ford f450

for no other reason than to say..hey-lam--look what I did
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24954_101431169893862_8000226_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	82421  

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #30

Just curious, how much higher does the rig with the larger tires sit vs. the smaller tires. I'm thinking about the entrance steps and leveling jacks extension.

BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Just curious, how much higher does the rig with the larger tires sit vs. the smaller tires. I'm thinking about the entrance steps and leveling jacks extension.
I think it was 1''
Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we travel down the roads littered with lawyers and manufacturers all trying to cover their butts and their pocketbooks one has to weigh the choices. What 2forceful is doing, while it may fall outside of the NORMAL set of choices as dictated by those lawyers/builders, still falls into the area of a viable CHOICE. It's a choice born out of a desire to try it, common sense and a thought process that says, "Hey man this just might work and it just might work better that what anybody says it will."

2forceful is exercising his right to choices and it looks like it is working. He's spending a lot of $$$$ and that's just fine it's his choice and so what. I applaud him for it and I'm learning a lot as well. He's thinking outside the box and that's where many, many good ideas come from in all walks of life.

I'm a retired automotive instructor. I did a good job as many of my students told me. I could if given some latitude (sometimes just taken) reach most students. I was also not liked much by the administration because I was always working and experimenting "Outside the box." I believe that's were differences are made. I was being paid to teach immature kids not to keep parents happy. To do that you can't be their friend.

I guess the best testament to my teaching career was two years ago one of my students asked me to be his "Best Man" And he has 4 close brothers that all live in the area.

Here's another example. If you have ever worked much on vehicles you know that the standard service interval for front wheel 2-bearing set ups was about every 30-K to 40-K miles. Why?? Well that's about the time that the front disc rotors/pads needed changed and machined. So while you were there you re-packed the bearings and replaced the inner seal. Did it for years and years. Brake pads are now lasting a lot longer so the service interval for the bearings is around 60-K miles.

Now we switch to the travel trailer. Here the manufacturers recommend that all bearings are serviced every 12,000 miles or 12-months. For the life of me I can't understand why. Except they want them looked at every year to avoid them paying for repairs based on the cheap China bearings and the bearing buddies which use a grease gun (worst (IMHO) idea ever designed) to re-pack the bearing hub.

That's just nothing but lawyers covering their butts.

Keep on keeping on !!!!!

TeJay
Old 01-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
When we travel down the roads littered with lawyers and manufacturers all trying to cover their butts and their pocketbooks one has to weigh the choices. What 2forceful is doing, while it may fall outside of the NORMAL set of choices as dictated by those lawyers/builders, still falls into the area of a viable CHOICE. It's a choice born out of a desire to try it, common sense and a thought process that says, "Hey man this just might work and it just might work better that what anybody says it will."

2forceful is exercising his right to choices and it looks like it is working. He's spending a lot of $$$$ and that's just fine it's his choice and so what. I applaud him for it and I'm learning a lot as well. He's thinking outside the box and that's where many, many good ideas come from in all walks of life.

I'm a retired automotive instructor. I did a good job as many of my students told me. I could if given some latitude (sometimes just taken) reach most students. I was also not liked much by the administration because I was always working and experimenting "Outside the box." I believe that's were differences are made. I was being paid to teach immature kids not to keep parents happy. To do that you can't be their friend.

I guess the best testament to my teaching career was two years ago one of my students asked me to be his "Best Man" And he has 4 close brothers that all live in the area.

Here's another example. If you have ever worked much on vehicles you know that the standard service interval for front wheel 2-bearing set ups was about every 30-K to 40-K miles. Why?? Well that's about the time that the front disc rotors/pads needed changed and machined. So while you were there you re-packed the bearings and replaced the inner seal. Did it for years and years. Brake pads are now lasting a lot longer so the service interval for the bearings is around 60-K miles.

Now we switch to the travel trailer. Here the manufacturers recommend that all bearings are serviced every 12,000 miles or 12-months. For the life of me I can't understand why. Except they want them looked at every year to avoid them paying for repairs based on the cheap China bearings and the bearing buddies which use a grease gun (worst (IMHO) idea ever designed) to re-pack the bearing hub.

That's just nothing but lawyers covering their butts.

Keep on keeping on !!!!!

TeJay
thanks for the response....on the trailer bearings deal.... the reason is they are always groos over loaded .. and the wheels don't turn to follow so the side ways scrub put's constant pressure on the bearings
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #34

for those that are thinking or wondering... no one makes this wheel , it has to be custom ordered and made the only one I know of that will do this is American force....

also the same for the 19.5 x 6.75 wheels...I had both custom made... no one stocked them...

the ride was apples to oranges going to 22.5s

the switch to aluminum 19.5 sure made air ups easier and not having to worry about the linner coming off

that and the cool factor
Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #35

I believe the concern with a XX.5" tire being under-inflated is that those rims lack a lip inside the bead. Too low a pressure and the tire could burp and suddenly lose air pressure, which would be a big problem.

This is more likely hitting debris in the road, crossing a curb or in an offroad situation than running down a clear highway or interstate.

GVW would have an impact on how easily a given wheel/tire combo could "burp".
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I believe the concern with a XX.5" tire being under-inflated is that those rims lack a lip inside the bead. Too low a pressure and the tire could burp and suddenly lose air pressure, which would be a big problem.

This is more likely hitting debris in the road, crossing a curb or in an offroad situation than running down a clear highway or interstate.

GVW would have an impact on how easily a given wheel/tire combo could "burp".
is this a reply???? not understanding the post????
Old 04-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #37

Just stating facts. The reason why a tire or wheel manufacturer would state a minimum psi for those size rims.

Sorry, I should have said "hump" instead of "lip".
Wheel and Tire Terms with Diagrams

16.5, 19.5, 22.5, and 24.5 wheels do not have a "bead bump" or "safety hump". In a low pressure condition, a well-placed blow could burp/unseat the bead and dump all the air.

15", 16", 17", 18" (etc.) tires have that "bead bump" or "safety hump". In a low pressure condition, a well-placed blow will usually not move the bead inward enough to unseat it or spill any air out of the tire.

I hope that made more sense.

Tags
f53