Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Q: What yr did the Ford MH have a valve problem?

New to the forum, owned a Southwind back in the 90's.
The RV vacations and family trips have been call out to us.

We are ready to make an offer on a 2001 Ford MH Stripped Chassis, and just was advised by my neighbor to find out which year they had the valve problem. He owns a 2003, but couldn't remember which yr.

I would appreciate advice from experience RV'ers.
DreamGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

Not aware of any valve problems in the V-10 engine. I think the 1999 models had a rare occasion when a spark plug would be spit out of its hole. Not a large number, though.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I'm not familiar with a V-10 VALVE problem, The early years were plagued with SPARK PLUG problems. The aluminum heads only had 4 threads for the spark plug. Steel plug threads in an aluminum head, the threads could fail and you'd shoot the plug out of the head. (often #5) This problem was in many Ford engines of the era, not just the V-10. Ford suggests installing Lock-N-Stitch thread inserts in the heads. Many use a HeliCoil kit, both can be installed without removing the heads and are a permanent improvement. There was also problems with the spark plugs themselves, some would often break off when removing them. This also was fixed and replacement plugs don't have this issue.

Ford increased the thickness of the plug hole to 8 threads, these heads are marked with a PI marking and have 3 valves per cylinder and more horsepower.

To find out about your engine, enter your VIN here and see what turns up.

V-10 engines are very durable and powerful engines for motorhomes, I wouldn't hesitate to own one. Be aware they do turn high RPMs to get the power, located almost next to the driver they do make some noise! I like the post 2005 models with the 5R110 transmission that has a good engine braking mode for downhill.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and offer advice.
Every bit of information helps us come up with a reasonable offer. It looks like this motor home is over priced and the dealer is looking to make a bankroll on it. MSPP $30K, Selling 25K and research indicates worth $15K - $19K.
Cosmetically looks good, very low miles for a 15 yrs old coach. We are mainly concerned that there will be hidden issues due to lack of use.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A big expense could be tires. Check the date code on each tire, those older than 7 years old will soon need to be replaced for safety. RV tires age out way before they wear out in most cases.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Your thinking about a 2001 year unit, so valve issues are not an issue on the V10. Wouldnt hurt though, to do some reading about the V10 issues from over the years. I probably stand corrected, but I think from reading, around 2005 all the Ford V10 engine issues were sorted out, along with a new transmission design.
Way back many years, the ol Ford carbed 460 engines had valve issues. The valve seats were cut direct into the iron head, induction heat hardened just in the seat area & they just wouldnt hold up under the high exhaust heat the engines would produce trying to move a heavy load. Once Ford went to the FI engines in 1990 & installed hardened valve seats into the heads, the ol 460 engine had a fairly good service life after that. My dealings with an old carbed 460, the only exhaust valve seat that would endure the extreme high exhaust heat, was a carbide exhaust seat installed in the heads.
Neil
Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Your thinking about a 2001 year unit, so valve issues are not an issue on the V10. Wouldnt hurt though, to do some reading about the V10 issues from over the years. I probably stand corrected, but I think from reading, around 2005 all the Ford V10 engine issues were sorted out, along with a new transmission design.
Way back many years, the ol Ford carbed 460 engines had valve issues. The valve seats were cut direct into the iron head, induction heat hardened just in the seat area & they just wouldnt hold up under the high exhaust heat the engines would produce trying to move a heavy load. Once Ford went to the FI engines in 1990 & installed hardened valve seats into the heads, the ol 460 engine had a fairly good service life after that. My dealings with an old carbed 460, the only exhaust valve seat that would endure the extreme high exhaust heat, was a carbide exhaust seat installed in the heads.
Neil
Ford went EFI on the 460 in 1988. Ford did NOT install hardened exhaust seats on the EFI 460. All Ford did was induction harden them. My 95 F53 460 exhaust seats were perfect at 111,000 miles, when I installed a stroker engine. The exhaust seats were so hard, the exhaust valves had to be replaced, because they were recessed from banging on the seats.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Ford went EFI on the 460 in 1988. Ford did NOT install hardened exhaust seats on the EFI 460. All Ford did was induction harden them. My 95 F53 460 exhaust seats were perfect at 111,000 miles, when I installed a stroker engine. The exhaust seats were so hard, the exhaust valves had to be replaced, because they were recessed from banging on the seats.

Richard
Recessed, that word to me, is saying the exhaust valves beat them self up into the head from high heat, once they got past the induction hardened part of the head material.
A better term to go alone with recessed, is picking, the heat is so high flowing out through the exhaust, that the valve is picking the material of the seat away be sticking to the valve face & creating a recessed hole for the valve to close down into.
The 1988 GBM class a we had, on a John Deere chassis, had a carbed 460 engine & C6 trans in it. All I've read stated the FI came in 1989 to the class a chassis.
Neil
Old 10-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club

The OP asked about a 2001 Ford chassis. That would be an F-53 with a Triton V10. I don't know why folks are giving a history of Ford 460 valve troubles. Might as well bring up Pinto exploding gas tanks for all the relevance it has to this topic.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
https://www.lasmotorhomes.com/case-s...gine-problems/
Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for the very useful information.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Recessed, that word to me, is saying the exhaust valves beat them self up into the head from high heat, once they got past the induction hardened part of the head material.
A better term to go alone with recessed, is picking, the heat is so high flowing out through the exhaust, that the valve is picking the material of the seat away be sticking to the valve face & creating a recessed hole for the valve to close down into.
The 1988 GBM class a we had, on a John Deere chassis, had a carbed 460 engine & C6 trans in it. All I've read stated the FI came in 1989 to the class a chassis.
Neil
The valve did NOT pick up exhaust seat material! The exhaust seats were perfect at 111,000 miles. The valves were softer than the exhaust seats and beat out. Re read my post.
Ford, like all other manufactures, has flaws. But the 460 exhaust seats were not flawed. In fact, 460 fords have very little valve problems. If you had an exhaust seat problem with your Oshkosh/John Deere, then your state of tune was wrong. 1994-1997 F53 with 460 didn't have a cat and run very lean, to meet EPA, with out exhaust seat problems.
You have read wrong. Ford went EFI in 1988 on all 460s. Except for special orders, like the Oshkosh chassis, that went EFI for one year in 1991. There was also later boat engines with carbs.
If you elect to pick on Fords. Pick on their flaws.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The FI 460 in my MH has been a great running engine. Stay under 5,000RPM and the the 460 is a gem of an engine. I'm sitting at 120,000 on the odometer and keep up with routine maintenance. I also run a Banks Power Pack. Couldn't be happier with my engine, or the F53 chassis. Never felt underpowered compared to the V10.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

The OP asked about a 2001 Ford chassis. That would be an F-53 with a Triton V10. I don't know why folks are giving a history of Ford 460 valve troubles. Might as well bring up Pinto exploding gas tanks for all the relevance it has to this topic.
Heh, I LIKED my 1971 Pinto with the 2000cc German engine block!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford