Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Question about 22.5 wheels

I will be installing central a ticket wheel balancers on my coach and I was wondering how much torque is needed on the wheel nuts?
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 22.5" tires require 450 Ft lbs of torque. Best have a shop do the install unless you have a torque multiplier of some sorts and they are not to cheap. Did you mean Centramatic wheel balancers??? If you did they are great.

TeJay
Old 05-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

Central a ticket. Gotta love spell check.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even the "Central a ticket" does not make any sense. But your are right. All the words are spelled corrrecttly.

TeJay
Old 05-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #5

auto spell check.... you guys where right, I am talking about centramatic wheel balancers. TeJay, where did you get yours from?
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #6

a good air impact worked for me and a 3 foot bar to pick tire up to spindle .but remember the leveling jacks will pick tire off ground but its not safe without a jack stand
Old 05-25-2015, 04:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got mine from a place in Edge water, FL e-mail then shipped. You can actually order them from the factory in TX. I wanted to ask some questions so I called the factory and got a sales rep. He answered my questions then I just ordered the rears from him. The price will be the same.

As far as dealing with the tire except for the torque, I have no problems with the 19.5" tires. Remember you are not going to lift either size yourself. They are just to heavy and it's to awkward a position to lift. You have to lever them into position. Here's how I've learned how.
First off don't lift the tire much over 1" off the ground. Less and when you lower the jack to put it on a safety stand the tire will touch. You want it off the ground on a safety stand but no higher than 1".

I have several small blocks of wood, a 2" to 5" wide and 6" long wood wedge and my pry bar. I use the wedge depending on how high the tire ended up being. The lever needs to be close to the bottom of the tire so you don't have to lift it up to much. The small blocks of wood I use under the back of the wedge to allow me to raise the tire as high as needed. Now you just play around with all that stuff until you figure out exactly how to move the tire around to locate the stud holes then up and wedged back onto the hub. It's really very easy once you get the hang of it.

TeJay
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #8

Spanuts,

Your comment, " a good impact wrench ", is vague at best.

Someone could pick up a cordless 1/2 drive impact wrench, a few adaptors, a socket and "gun the lugs on ".

I have never torqued a wheel lug, in my heavy equipment career, but knew, that I needed a 3/4 or 1 inch drive impact wrench, hooked to a large capacity hose and high volume, compressor, to get 400 + lb, torque on a wheel lug.

Tire service shops, use long shank impact wrenchs and deep sockets, to eliminate any torque loss of extensions or adaptors.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

twinboat your correct i used a 1/2 drive air @165# and use sort burst of trigger to take em off.and that worked ok.i was not worried this old impact i have used sense the sixties and know its good for 500 ft lbs.guess i should have said " a impact good for 500 ft lbs "
thanks for keeping me in check
Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
The 22.5" tires require 450 Ft lbs of torque. Best have a shop do the install unless you have a torque multiplier of some sorts and they are not to cheap. Did you mean Centramatic wheel balancers??? If you did they are great.

TeJay
Both our last two DP's have taken 500 ft lbs on the lugs. I do have both a torque multiplier and air wrench that will go to 500 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

Place my order today for 2 pairs of centramatic balancers but I will have a shop installing them for me. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I changed Ken's tire I used my air-impact wrench (And my air powered jack-jack) made the job easy .

The nut on my (and ken's) rigs have captive washers (Washer is attached to the nut) and the torque spec is molded into the washer.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #13

wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When I changed Ken's tire I used my air-impact wrench (And my air powered jack-jack) made the job easy .

The nut on my (and ken's) rigs have captive washers (Washer is attached to the nut) and the torque spec is molded into the washer.
My 2004 Monaco is also marked on the nuts
Old 05-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner chassis 22.5" wheels

10 lugnut wheels: 450 - 500 ft-lbs 22-mm stud hubs require a 1-5/16-inch (33-mm)

8 lugnut wheels: 280-310 ft-lbs 1 3/16" nut
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote